Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: What have you read lately?

What have you read lately?

Inspired by the discussion about recent movies based on books in the Movie/What did you watch last night thread, I thought maybe a thread ought to be made for books we are reading or have read that is recommended reading.

I'm always reading (though I REALLY need to get back to the books I actually bought back in November...).

Looking forward to see where this goes (I'm also interested in ebooks- preferably free ones at this time- seems that most well known authors that I like I have to pay...)
    GC ID- DeafDucky
    Please note in friend request 'HayDay'
    Level 57
    92/108 goals completed
    No challenges please! I do not send challenges.

Forum Veteran
    I have a trio of great books I like to recommend to people:

Shardik by Richard Adams is a fantastic novel that examines the nature of man and religion in a really compelling way following a tribe of men who worship a gigantic bear.

The Devil in the White City by Eric Larson is a true crime story about America's first major serial killer who murdered many women during the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. It is compelling not only for the crime and mystery of the case, but also because of the truly incredible story of how the World's Fair was created and the many people involved.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel by Susanna Clarke takes place in an alternate history in which Magicians were employed by European military during the Napoleonic era. It is huge, and has tons and tons of footnotes, but it's is practically a master class in how to do effective fictional world building. By the end of the story, you really feel like it all took place in a living breathing place and time in history.
    Last edited by CheddarLimbo; January 3rd, 2014 at 01:43 AM.
    Proud Member of Rock Lobsters
    Farm LVL 117 Town LVL 38
    Barn 2750 Silo 2450
    134/144 Achievements Complete

Quote Originally Posted by DeafDucky View Post
    Inspired by the discussion about recent movies based on books in the Movie/What did you watch last night thread, I thought maybe a thread ought to be made for books we are reading or have read that is recommended reading.
    eeeermm, the forum, written by thousands of members... It's based on the "true stories" of a global game, and players trials and tribulations of succeeding.. hehe. The last book I read will most probably have been a James Herbet.. I'm too busy watching films anyway..

John.

BOROYOB + FLI-JO
    We trade with only our friends and in our Neighbourhood - We NEVER send or accept ANY challenges.
    >>>>> No offence meant, but our policy is to unfriend persistent heavy shoppers/raiders. <<<<<

Banned
    The Hunger Games Trilogy were the last books I read I think At the minute im lost in a book about Japan (purely because I'm obsessed with everything Japanese)

Quote Originally Posted by BOROYOB View Post
    eeeermm, the forum, written by thousands of members... It's based on the "true stories" of a global game, and players trials and tribulations of succeeding.. hehe. The last book I read will most probably have been a James Herbet.. I'm too busy watching films anyway..

John.

Lol! It is an entertaining and engrossing read, for sure! One could get lost in it for days.....

Quote Originally Posted by bear199311 View Post
    The Hunger Games Trilogy were the last books I read I think At the minute im lost in a book about Japan (purely because I'm obsessed with everything Japanese)
    Years and years ago, I read a book called "The knights of Bushido" about the Japanese prisoner of war camps in the Second World War.. It was pretty harrowing reading, hence the reason I can still remember the title to this day..

John.

BOROYOB + FLI-JO
    We trade with only our friends and in our Neighbourhood - We NEVER send or accept ANY challenges.
    >>>>> No offence meant, but our policy is to unfriend persistent heavy shoppers/raiders. <<<<<

I'm currently reading "A Woman Rides the Beast", by the late Dave Hunt. It's about the true history of the Catholic church and it's papacy and how it fits in with Bible prophecy. I'm quite shocked to learn about some of the atroscities these supposed "vicars of Christ" have committed.

I've added Devil in the White City to my "to read" list as well as A Woman who rides the Beast- both sound interesting.

I'm into mystery books a great deal. I'll give anything a shot at least once lol. Right now I'm reading Patricia Cornwell's latest Hmm can't remember the name as it's in the other room...:P. Actual paperback books I like...holding a book really feels better sometimes (plus if I read in the bathtub and drop it I'm only out 5-7.00 or less).
    GC ID- DeafDucky
    Please note in friend request 'HayDay'
    Level 57
    92/108 goals completed
    No challenges please! I do not send challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by bear199311 View Post
    Loved the the hunger games!

I went through a Japanese phase...top picks are "the nightingale floor". Amazing & I think it's a trilogy...another is "along the takaido road". Of course the classic "shogun". All three are great reads. (If u are interested in a great book that takes place in China, gotta read "the good earth"!!)

as as for what I'm reading now...anything by Maeve Binchey that I can get my hands on...one of the most amazing modern writers!!
    "I've grown tired of the articulate utterances of men and things. The mystical in art, the mystical in life, the mystical in nature, this is what I am looking for and in the great symphonies of music, the initiation of sorrow, and in the depths of the sea I may find it. It is absolutely necessary for me to find it somewhere." -O. Wilde

Forum Veteran
    I am doing the Chronicles of Narnia as a read-aloud for my son. We do about a half chapter a night. We just started Voyage of the Dawn Treader (my favorite in the series) last night.
    Proud Member of Rock Lobsters
    Farm LVL 117 Town LVL 38
    Barn 2750 Silo 2450
    134/144 Achievements Complete