Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: What have you read lately?

Thought I might resurrect this old fav thread...

After visiting my sis in Ireland and seeing this statue,

I had to learn what was behind that expression. Just finished "the importance of being Ernest" and am now making my way through "the picture of Dorian Gray" and "de profundis," which he wrote in jail to his lover, who contributed to his impoverishment & inprisonment. It is a gut wrenching account of the lavish yet abusive relationship. If you are interested, here is a link to a passionate reading:

https://youtu.be/BZv87dlDd_Y

Highly recommended.

(Just realized I never mentioned his name!! Anyone know?)
    Last edited by Neen; November 9th, 2016 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Dratted photobucket!!

Love his work! All of it! Plays, novels, fairytale children's stories!! A man definitely ahead of his time!

I wouldn't mind seeing that statue on the farm!!

Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde

Last edited by MiniGardener; November 11th, 2016 at 01:57 AM.

Farm Level 125 | Town 40 | Achievements 143/144

I actually just started to read again the books of Harry Potter, actually, I buy them one by one, time to time I read some chapters before going to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniGardener View Post
    Love his work! All of it! Plays, novels, fairytale children's stories!! A man definitely ahead of his time!

I wouldn't mind seeing that statue on the farm!!

Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde

What a name, and what a soul! His thoughts on life and love are so elegantly communicated through words. It is an art, I fear, that is almost extinct! And I am only halfway through "de profundis"...

Fresh Spawn
    As for fiction I've read Blindness by Jose Saramago. I wish I would speak/read portuguese so I could read it properly because it sounds a bit weird in English, to be honest. I don't recommend this unless you speak portuguese because I heard it's much better in its original language.
    As for non-fiction, I read Hard Choices by Hilary Clinton, which was really eye-opening for me and makes me sad she will not be the president. I highly recommend this because it's genuinely interesting, even if you don't like her.
    And lastly, if we are to be exact, the last thing I read was this website, because my boss needs me to buy filter systems for him *eye roll* Only recommended if you are looking for that kind of thing lol

Wow, coolcatz, I read a description of Blindness and it sounds fascinating! Too intense for me to read but what a premise! Any thoughts you happened upon while reading you'd like to share would be welcome.

I have been enjoying a Charles ♥♥♥♥ens fest as I finish up "de profundis"...listening to Bleakhouse (which is enjoyable) and watching Little Dorrit (a BBC serial production) which is amazing! If you enjoy Downton Abby and mysteries, you should check it out!

Really SC?! I can't say Charles Diickens?! :P

8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #128
    I recently finished reading Melmoth by Sarah Perry. I just started The Valley at the Centre of the World by Mallachy Tallack.
    Level 100! 6/28/16 won the pearl 12/31/14 won the windmill 2/3/15
    Thank you to TerMinus Prime for my cool banner

Pro Member
    I just finished The Boy Who Loved Too Much: A true story of pathological friendliness. By Jennifer Latson. It is about Williams syndrome, which my daughter has. Scientific information mixed with anecdotes that sometimes hit WAY too close to home.
    Heart in Hands
    Silver chicken on a purple heart.
    Tag #8OU9VOOV
    Mother Hen
    Tag#LVQYJVPC

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #130
    Finished The Valley at the Centre of the World. Then I read Memento Mori by Muriel Spark. Now I am about finished with All Among the Barley by Melissa Harrison.
    Level 100! 6/28/16 won the pearl 12/31/14 won the windmill 2/3/15
    Thank you to TerMinus Prime for my cool banner