Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: What have you read lately?

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #141
    Quote Originally Posted by HeaveninTN View Post
    Tall Chimey’s

I love books that make me think or laugh or simply take me away to a different time or place.

Man’s Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl

The Curious incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon is a great book especially if you know anyone who is on the autism spectrum. It won many awards and will make you laugh til you cry if any of it rings true to you.

To laugh out loud...any of the Ann B. Ross books (the entire series on Miss Julia is fantastic) but make sure you read the series in order. Focuses on a southern lady who is so proper that you will find yourself laughing out loud. My husband thinks I have lost my mind on it.

Also love virtually everything by Wally Lamb, Summer Sisters by Judy Blume and a number of Anita Shreve books especially The Weight of Water.

Fly a Little Higher by Laura Sobiech. A mo5ers retelling of life when her son is diagnosed with osteosarcoma. Warning: do not read this book without Kleenex handy. It is fantastic but is an emotional roller coaster but so inspirational and worthy of reading.
    Tall Chimneys! I read Tall Chimneys a few months ago and loved it! It's my favorite book now.

Also like Wally Lamb books.
    Level 100! 6/28/16 won the pearl 12/31/14 won the windmill 2/3/15
    Thank you to TerMinus Prime for my cool banner

The Grand Adventure of Prince Usab and His Horse

This book was silly and I liked it a lot. Not a lot of people did it seems and thatís a real shame.

Confession: Iíve started to note books Iíve read and liked rather than what Iím reading at the moment. And Iím discovering new authors from some of the posts here so thatís nice. 😊

Centennial Club
    Oh, and The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls and her other fantastic book...Half-Broke Horses. Both are fantastic books.

i would love to hear what books moved you as a child/pre-teen or teenager. Boy, this will show our age.

most memorable book as a pre-teen: Are you there God, It’s Me Margaret? By Judy Blume. And several years later I read a book that taught me about courage in the face of serious adversity....The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (maybe another reason why I love Man’s Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl)

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #144
    Almost finished with Confessions of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythell. I had read The Diary of a Bookseller a few months back. Both are excellent, but I prefer Confessions of a Bookseller more.

On the USS Defiant charting the Delta Quadrant and studying Species P900B00181
    Quote Originally Posted by HeaveninTN View Post
    ....i would love to hear what books moved you as a child/pre-teen or teenager. Boy, this will show our age.
    The Chronicles of Narnia

The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King

---
    Lynn
    October 4, 2019
    Last edited by LynnK2015; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:11 AM.
    What the hell?
    The L bunny is elusive as the Scarlet Pimpernel.
    Yet many farms heard recently the toll of the bell.
    Thank you so much sweet Supercell.
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...cussion-Thread

Fresh Spawn
    japanese manga

7.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #147
    I just finished The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne. Highly recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnK2015 View Post
    The Chronicles of Narnia

The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King

---
    Lynn
    October 4, 2019
    ”Ditto”

I also loved horse books (including all of Marguerite Henry’s books, Carl Raswan’s “Drinkers of the Wind”, etc.)
    I read all the Science Fiction / Science Fact style books I could get my hands on, written by authors like Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, etc... I’m looking right now at a rediscovered goofy story I read as a kid in Analog, by Harry Harrison “The Man From P.I.G.” (A spoof on the popular 60’s spy programs.)

When older, Victor Frankle, Corrie Ten Bloom, Alexander Solzhenitsyn, Dostoyevsky... Albert Camus’ “The Plague” inspired me so much it fit with my work and penchant for saving lives and research. Norman Cousins “Anatomy of an Illness”. A lot of old wisdom teachers in spirituality (“Sayings of the Desert Fathers” by Benedicta Ward is a favorite. I also love the old Sufi masters.), endurance, healing. Recently reading a lot about neuroplasticity for healing brain and nervous system injuries and disorders, and research on healing mitochondria. A lot of humor, since laughter is essential for getting through the curveballs life sends. I love clean comedy. My favorite book to give anyone who is going through a major illness is Richard Lederer’s “Anguished English”.