Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: CWL war win bonus of 10 star is not reasonable!

Quote Originally Posted by BOOMhauerTF View Post
    I don't think I would view it any other way. I think SC put the additional 10 star bonuses in for just this reason. If one clan is behind by less than the 10 stars it makes it possible to win the league.
    There are two points of view popping up over and over.

One is "we were ahead by less than ten, when we lost because another clan got ten bonus stars."
    The other is "we were almost to lose, but at the last second we got ten bonus stars to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat."

These are variations of one simple fact. When one clan wins, another clan loses. When one clan loses, another wins.

Winning
    Losing
    This is the soul of competition.
    I truly believe the recruitment tool will improve over time. Please read my posts on this topic not as complaints, but as a polite request for improvement. Often I include a suggestion, or an observation of an existing function that could make the tool function.
    Before we throw the baby out with the bath, I would like to remind you that recruiting in global was no picnic either. Mostly hoppers, very few serious players.

Forum Elder
    I look at this slightly differently. Whether you have the 10 points for the win or no, it really doesn't matter much. When you look at this from too narrow a focus you can make a case for either way. When you back up a bit and look at the bigger picture, it really doesn't matter. Over the course of many seasons, how often will that one match make all the difference?

There are 8 teams each season with only 4 teams that will demote or promote. So right off the bat, 50% of the time, it won't matter, you weren't moving anyways.

Of the remaining 50% the first place team and last place team are going to promote or demote regardless of whether they finish in 8th place or 7th place or finish in 1st or 2nd, so now we can take them out of the equation as well.

Now we are down to 25% of the clans each season that the 10 points 'may' impact. Honestly folks, how often does this happen to those two teams where the win bonus made all the difference? Once every 12 seasons? Less? Even if it happens what is the result? For one season you didn't end up where you thought you should. Next month very likely it will correct itself since it happens so rarely.
    Last edited by Tosti111; September 11th, 2019 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tosti111 View Post
    I look at this slightly differently. Whether you have the 10 points for the win or no, it really doesn't matter much. When you look at this from too narrow a focus you can make a case for either way. When you back up a bit and look at the bigger picture, it really doesn't matter. Over the course of many seasons, how often will that one match make all the difference?

There are 8 teams each season with only 4 teams that will demote or promote. So right off the bat, 50% of the time, it won't matter, you weren't moving anyways.

Of the remaining 50% the first place team and last place team are going to promote or demote regardless of whether they finish in 8th place or 7th place or finish in 1st or 2nd, so now we can take them out of the equation as well.

Now we are down to 25% of the clans each season that the 10 points 'may' impact. Honestly folks, how often does this happen to those two teams where the win bonus made all the difference? Once every 12 seasons? Less? Even if it happens what is the result? For one season you didn't end up where you thought you should. Next month very likely it will correct itself since it happens so rarely.
    Agreed.
    But I mainly think the rules are there from before Day 1.. So long as everybody plays by those rules, it will play out the way it plays out.

Just this last season, we were 5/2 and took the 2nd spot, while the clan other than the 1st that beat us took 3rd spot with a 6/1 result. The reason is simple: we took risks and always aimed for 3 stars in our attacks, while they played it safe and went for 2 stars. Got them the victory against us, but they weren't ranked #2 after the season was over. IMO, the win bonus of +10 stars is just about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachi View Post
    Just this last season, we were 5/2 and took the 2nd spot, while the clan other than the 1st that beat us took 3rd spot with a 6/1 result. The reason is simple: we took risks and always aimed for 3 stars in our attacks, while they played it safe and went for 2 stars. Got them the victory against us, but they weren't ranked #2 after the season was over. IMO, the win bonus of +10 stars is just about right.
    10 star bonus or not, you played the game right, as stars gained are the primary positional determinate.
    If they were to change it around, then your oppo would be doing things the right way.
    So long as people play to the rules, it doesnt matter too much what rules they decide to employ.. It will always be fair.

A downside to using wins as primary occurred to me tho..
    Spin time, or rather start time would have a major bearing on results, since knowing the opposition final score has a massive bearing on war tactics.
    With SC's current way of matching the tiers, the randomness on when you get matched could have a game changing impact on how the season plays out for the clan.

Quote Originally Posted by joshsgrandad View Post
    10 star bonus or not, you played the game right, as stars gained are the primary positional determinate.
    If they were to change it around, then your oppo would be doing things the right way.
    So long as people play to the rules, it doesnt matter too much what rules they decide to employ.. It will always be fair.

A downside to using wins as primary occurred to me tho..
    Spin time, or rather start time would have a major bearing on results, since knowing the opposition final score has a massive bearing on war tactics.
    With SC's current way of matching the tiers, the randomness on when you get matched could have a game changing impact on how the season plays out for the clan.
    It is interesting to note about this. Different time zones as well. On our last match against top seat, we were leading first, but exhausted all our attacks while they still had about 5 - 6 remaining. If they decided to throw the match, we would have been promoted, which is not an ideal outcome. We want to be promoted because we could, not because someone gave it up. Thankfully, they did their best and took the top spot where they rightfully belong.

War seven is always an anomaly.
    Some clans are exhausted and just give up.
    Some clans pull those who have 8 stars, and replace them with weaker players who can still gain medals.
    Some clans have to deal with turnover, as people choose to leave mid-week.
    Some clans try to manage their tier placement for next CWL by losing enough to avoid promotion or even drop a tier.

You can get some odd ducks at the end of the week.

But once in a while, if you're lucky, you get the #1 and #2 clans going head to head to determine which one gets promoted, and who is stuck waiting for next season.

I hope someday we get to be that clan.
    I truly believe the recruitment tool will improve over time. Please read my posts on this topic not as complaints, but as a polite request for improvement. Often I include a suggestion, or an observation of an existing function that could make the tool function.
    Before we throw the baby out with the bath, I would like to remind you that recruiting in global was no picnic either. Mostly hoppers, very few serious players.

Fresh Spawn
    does anyone think supercell should change the cwl system? what if they use football league system to set the winner? it's kinda weird if my clan undefeated but lost the league by stars, even with 10 star war win bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by zaraigra View Post
    does anyone think supercell should change the cwl system? what if they use football league system to set the winner? it's kinda weird if my clan undefeated but lost the league by stars, even with 10 star war win bonus.
    Did your clan do the 30v option?.. 10 star win bonus makes little difference with 90 stars per day on the board.
    I think the idea behind the current system is to promote activity and strategically amassing stars, not looking to just do enough to win each day.
    But its either/or for me.. Dont really care how they format it, so long as they let people know
    They could even use destruction as the premium decider, and I would still be good with it, since it is something else that requires people to achieve.. It would certainly makes those 99% 1 star fails far more valuable.
    Last edited by joshsgrandad; October 10th, 2019 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zaraigra View Post
    No, I don't think it should change. I think it strikes a good balance between rewarding winning individual wars as well as promoting overall performance.
    TMBG War Clan always recruiting - Wars with TH8-12
    TMBG Discord server:
    https://discord.gg/aXdgW6w
    TH10 - Doctor Worm permamax (for now)
    TH11 - doug 50/50/20 heroes