Thread: Derby Matchmaking

Question Derby Matchmaking

I have been puzzled as to how matchmaking for derbies work, since I seem to not be able to place in top 3 despite having 4 players complete all tasks with high point values.

I have read some places that the Derby matchmaking is based (or was based) on the number of players in the derby.

However, the FAQ here says

What size neighbourhood will we race against?
    At the start of each race you neighbourhood size is determined by the game. When the game starts, the other hoods will have the same size as yours so you are all on equal footing. Neighbourhood sizes can be from 1 to 30

Can anyone confirm that it is the size of the neighborhood, not the number of players in the derby, affecting matchmaking?

And if so, can anyone explain why? It seems the number of player participating is more important factor.

I also see a lot of players who seem to be low-balling their total score to finish 12th place, presumably for favorable matchmaking. Does this actually have an impact?

It also says

Tip
    If you don’t want to be in the derby but still want to stay in your neighbourhood and help out as needed then you need to leave before the derby ends and a new one starts.

By doing this your team will not be up against a larger neighbourhood. You can rejoin after the event has started and then help.

You are matched with those who have the same number of members opted in. I have a nh of 29. I usually have around 15 members opted in. We race against other hoods with 15 opted in despite how many in total they have in their nh. I have never heard of anyone deliberately lowballing their score to take 12th place. I have seen them work to stay out of the bottom 3 so they wonít be demoted, and I have seen them throw the silver and bronze if they canít take gold, but never the scenario you described.
    Leader Spiritís Peace
    Competitve Champion League
    Now accepting new members​

Quote Originally Posted by nerdchieftain View Post
    I have been puzzled as to how matchmaking for derbies work, since I seem to not be able to place in top 3 despite having 4 players complete all tasks with high point values.

I have read some places that the Derby matchmaking is based (or was based) on the number of players in the derby.

However, the FAQ here says

What size neighbourhood will we race against?
    At the start of each race you neighbourhood size is determined by the game. When the game starts, the other hoods will have the same size as yours so you are all on equal footing. Neighbourhood sizes can be from 1 to 30

Can anyone confirm that it is the size of the neighborhood, not the number of players in the derby, affecting matchmaking?

And if so, can anyone explain why? It seems the number of player participating is more important factor.

I also see a lot of players who seem to be low-balling their total score to finish 12th place, presumably for favorable matchmaking. Does this actually have an impact?
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdchieftain View Post
    It also says

Tip
    If you don’t want to be in the derby but still want to stay in your neighbourhood and help out as needed then you need to leave before the derby ends and a new one starts.

By doing this your team will not be up against a larger neighbourhood. You can rejoin after the event has started and then help.
    I’m very curious the date this FAQ was posted.

When the derby originally started you were matched by size of NH. When the opt-out feature was added, the derby then matched NHs by the number of players Opted-In.

Your NH is matched at the time you take the first task. There has been speculation that if you take a lower point (not max) task that you will be matched with NHs that may have also taken a lower point first task. Although our NH has sometimes done this, I’m not totally convinced that it made a difference.

The low-balling of scores, IMO, does not make sense. Possibly before there were derby leagues, as now there doesn’t seem to be a benefit to throwing a score.

Search the forum for ‘delayed derby start’. This and a good way to communicate with your hood mates may be all you need to turn your luck so that you can place top 3.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. Keep asking questions!
    Level 158
    Achievement 144/144 (24 Apr 2019)
    Be kind. 🤗

You are paired with hoods that have the same number of players opted into the derby. If you have ten members in the derby and putting you up against a hood that have twenty members in derby you could not compete with that.

Quote Originally Posted by themammabear View Post
    I have never heard of anyone deliberately lowballing their score to take 12th place. I have seen them work to stay out of the bottom 3 so they won’t be demoted...
    I play by myself, and I demote intentionally all the time, and sometimes make sure that I make 12th in order to avoid demotion. In fact, if I could reasonably predict the occurrence of power derbies I would make sure to be in novice, since I'm pretty good at getting gold at that level.

I made it to champs for this week, and it's not necessary to intentionally demote.
    View Kick Smurf Information: https://cocp.it/clan/R0U88CYQ

Quote Originally Posted by SmurfKick View Post
    I play by myself, and I demote intentionally all the time, and sometimes make sure that I make 12th in order to avoid demotion. In fact, if I could reasonably predict the occurrence of power derbies I would make sure to be in novice, since I'm pretty good at getting gold at that level.

I made it to champs for this week, and it's not necessary to intentionally demote.
    I fully understand trying to stay out of the bottom 3 in order not to be demoted, but I donít understand why you would intentionally demote yourself. I find this interesting and although I know this is not for me, I love to learn different strategies. Would you please explain how this is advantageous to you? Thanks
    Leader Spiritís Peace

You have an easier chance to make gold, and extra prizes, in a lower level. i do not intentinally demote, but can see the reason some might.

Quote Originally Posted by VulcanforHayDay View Post
    You have an easier chance to make gold, and extra prizes, in a lower level. i do not intentinally demote, but can see the reason some might.
    If all you want is Gold trophies, this is correct. You may get extra prizes for gold also. However, each league you are promoted you can earn an extra column of threshold prizes. So the higher your league, the more prizes there are to earn.
    Level 158
    Achievement 144/144 (24 Apr 2019)
    Be kind. 🤗

Thanks for your explanation. I suppose itís just a different way for some to enjoy the game. My competitive brain cringes as I try to wrap my head around that! Lol
    Leader Spiritís Peace