Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Suggestion: solution to ever increasing volume of spam

Suggestion: solution to ever increasing volume of spam

Ok I saw the now closed thread on needing more mods to combat spam, but mods are very powerful on the forum and with power comes responsibility. Not everyone wants (or deserves) that level of either.

but how about allowing any poster with (say) over 500 posts, to mark a post as ‘spam’ which would move it to a ‘spam review’ sub forum.

In due course mods could review that sub forum and fully delete anything that was genuinely spam, or reinstate the post if it had been marked incorrectly. Mods could also see who had marked the posts as spam and warn/suspend/give infractions to any persistent abusers of the system.

this would mean all spam was cleared out of the main threads almost immediately, and would give mods a single place to look to review it.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by AxsMan View Post
    Ok I saw the now closed thread on needing more mods to combat spam, but mods are very powerful on the forum and with power comes responsibility. Not everyone wants (or deserves) that level of either.

but how about allowing any poster with (say) over 500 posts, to mark a post as ‘spam’ which would move it to a ‘spam review’ sub forum.

In due course mods could review that sub forum and fully delete anything that was genuinely spam, or reinstate the post if it had been marked incorrectly. Mods could also see who had marked the posts as spam and warn/suspend/give infractions to any persistent abusers of the system.

this would mean all spam was cleared out of the main threads almost immediately, and would give mods a single place to look to review it.

Any thoughts?
    I volunteered in the past to take on a role of deleting spam, but I believe at least at that time the problem was there was no role offered by the system that allows one to have the power to delete or move spam but not also the other moderator powers. I'm on the forums often so I was happy to do it if possible, but I don't think it was.
    Contact SC here. Click here to see how trophies are calculated. I'm still thinking starting the "new" legends at Legends2 at 5500 and having Legends3 be for 5000-5499 would be good (with season resets to 5000 and 5500 depending on your trophies at season end) but overall I LOVE the Legends change. Thanks SC.

Quote Originally Posted by 2222 View Post
    I volunteered in the past to take on a role of deleting spam, but I believe at least at that time the problem was there was no role offered by the system that allows one to have the power to delete or move spam but not also the other moderator powers. I'm on the forums often so I was happy to do it if possible, but I don't think it was.
    yes I’d be happy to be a ‘sub mod’ whose only ability was to mark stuff as spam, can’t be beyond the wit of man to code something like that?

yes I’d be happy to be a ‘sub mod’ whose only ability was to mark stuff as spam, can’t be beyond the wit of man to code something like that?
    The system these forums run on aren't coded by SC.
    Contact SC here. Click here to see how trophies are calculated. I'm still thinking starting the "new" legends at Legends2 at 5500 and having Legends3 be for 5000-5499 would be good (with season resets to 5000 and 5500 depending on your trophies at season end) but overall I LOVE the Legends change. Thanks SC.

Don't really see what the big issue is, most times spam is removed in about an hour at most if it is reported, it's a volunteer job for mods can't expect them to be on 24/7.

And right now the oldest post on a 20 post front page is 7 hours ago, nothing gets pushed to page 2 even.
    Level: 256 | TH12 | GG 2B
    Highest Trophy Count:5376 | Donations: 1.26 million | Hero Levels: 170
    Leader of Rogue Elite
    #8200L0UJ
    Retired League Clan and Players recruiting experienced attackers to play in a relaxed and fun environment.
    ​Our Discord link https://discord.gg/pwz4W2h

On the USS Defiant charting the Delta Quadrant and studying Species P900B00181
    ...Any thoughts?
    Alternatively, we may also use this powerful tool to mitigate the spam, which I've been using since 2015 in the SC forums.

https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...-Difference%21

---
    Lynn
    August 17, 2019

EDIT: I'm speculating when we report spam, they are routed to a single place where the forum moderators may review and take the necessary action.
    Last edited by LynnK2015; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:14 PM.
    What the hell?
    The L bunny is elusive as the Scarlet Pimpernel.
    Yet many farms heard recently the toll of the bell.
    Thank you so much sweet Supercell.
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...cussion-Thread

I merely report the spam and move on. It's not as if it's ever enough to grind the forum to a halt.

Remember these forums run on a base version of forum software and Supercell doesn't want to install any of the add-ons for various reasons so there's only so much that can be done.

You also don't realise this because you can't see it, but a lot of spam doesn't actually get seen because it is sent elsewhere that only the mods can see.

Level 18
    - 9,363/18,500| Master I
    BloodyIrishman - TH12 [Level 206] - #2 in TH12 Hall of Fame
    Follow this link if you're interested in joining!

Putting a timer on new accounts to create a post may be a short term solution. When I used to run my own forums that was one way I combated it. Also using dual way verifications for emails may be helpful. I forget if that’s a thing, it was 6-7 years ago when I created my account here. But most of the time people aren’t going to set up a new email just to post spam

Quote Originally Posted by twinblade123 View Post
    Putting a timer on new accounts to create a post may be a short term solution. When I used to run my own forums that was one way I combated it. Also using dual way verifications for emails may be helpful. I forget if that’s a thing, it was 6-7 years ago when I created my account here. But most of the time people aren’t going to set up a new email just to post spam
    This idea has been suggested before, but a lot of times players come to the forums with a sense of urgency and being made to wait to use the forum isn't something that's currently wanted.

Level 18
    - 9,363/18,500| Master I
    BloodyIrishman - TH12 [Level 206] - #2 in TH12 Hall of Fame
    Follow this link if you're interested in joining!

On the other hand, the presence of abundant spam means that no moderators have been online in a while. These times are the perfect opportunity for people to post questions and content that will get locked