Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Clan Games and CWL. Why the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Tosti111 View Post
    IMO, Clan games are all about participation. Do something (anything) and as a team you will reap the rewards. Choose not to participate, get nothing. It is the equivalent of everyone cleaning the house on Saturday morning followed by everyone going to the park to play as a reward.

CWL is entirely different. It is about war and competition. No participation medals here and no Saturday ice cream in the park just for showing up. You could take the medals away entirely and CWL could stand on it's own. Try doing that to clan games and see how far you get.

Any comparison that suggests they are similar is equivalent to suggesting that a recreation vehicle is like a fighter plane. Yes, they both move, yes they both carry people but the purpose is entirely different and any similarities are minimal.
    Nicely put.

Quote Originally Posted by Rak2180 View Post
    If theres a challege for a single point then doing that would also get you all the rewards.
    Also there are many challenges that can be completed with a single attacks within few minutes.
    But to get 8 stars in CWL you will need at least 3 days.
    And if there was a single clan war day worth 8 stars it would only take a single attack also, but there isn't, just like there isn't a clan task with a single point.

Im guess its because CWL is a competition and Clan games are for fun
    since CWL is a competition you have to work hard personally and earn those valueable medals just like normal war, only who participate gets the reward, while clan games is just internal tasks system for rewards as a clan working together to achive more points

Don't forget that there's also a difference for the people who don't participate. For clan games, those that don't participate receive 0 rewards. Since it's their choice not to complete any tasks that makes sense. For CWL, those that don't participate receive 20% of the rewards. This could be their choice or the clan leadership's choice. So this makes sense as well.

If you changed CWL to needing to gain 1 star to get any/all of the rewards, some people would be barred from getting rewards. Whether they're not good attackers and are left out of war, leadership doesn't put them in, or to low of a TH level for the CWL League the clan is in. If you changed CWL so everyone on the roster got all the rewards then those who choose not to participate would get rewards for doing nothing. In my clan we have some stronger bases that just don't want to war at all. I'm fine with them getting some rewards and if they choose to join in I can add them, but I'm not sure how my clan (or others) would feel about them getting everything for nothing (at least in clan games they have to contribute something).

For clan games setting individual reward tiers becomes problematic. In clans that are smaller and less active, sometimes it's a struggle to get all of the tiers. If you make is to an individual needs x number of points to get max rewards, then the player has a choice. As mentioned earlier in this thread, why would someone do a 50 point challenge to get the clan to max rewards if all they get is a single potion out of it?

Personally I am fine with how it works currently (at least for my clan). Those that participate in clan games get rewards. Those that are leaching by only doing 1 challenge and stopping (but are seen to continue to be only and could be doing more challenges) are talked to and dealt with appropriately (clan management). CWL is also for those who want to participate. Those that don't are added to the roster to keep our options open, but they don't get full rewards like the rest of us. Hopefully those medals they do get help them progress and will eventually entice them to participate more.

Pro Member
    Clan Leaders have No Control Over Clan Games Rewards, they do by including Members in the Roster for CWL

Quote Originally Posted by PabloB View Post
    Clan Leaders have No Control Over Clan Games Rewards, they do by including Members in the Roster for CWL
    Clan leadership has total control over clan games: have people in the clan for whom it's not an issue to participate ... if people show they are not participating at the level anticipated [and clearly communicated] within the clan, they are no longer in the clan

difference b/w them is because cwl and clan games are not same things
    cwl is war league in which you have 20% and +10% for 1 star till 100%
    clan games is a clan activity in which there is no limitation
    thats why according to me

Quote Originally Posted by dmoore1998 View Post
    I'll put forth an argument as to "why" it makes sense the way it is set up (I haven't read through the thread, so someone may have hit this already).

Let's start with the idea that CG is fine (i.e. I'm arguing more for why CWL is "different" than CG, rather than why CWL should be the standard and CG as different).

CWL is there to encourage people to progress. The more you progress, the more medals you get conceivably. Allowing people to hang out in a clan and get all the rewards with 1 star doesn't encourage people to progress nearly as much as "get better and get 8 stars". I think there are rewards for 0 stars as a way to acknowledge "yeah, you might not have had a choice", but to encourage progression you have to give people a reason to individually progress.

I think there's also (IMO) a difference in the competitive nature of the 2 activities. CG is basically an "everyone can win" feature. CWL is a zero-sum, there will be winners and losers of the competition (everyone gets rewarded, but not everyone can win).
    Well said and makes a lot of sense, but the part I think is missing is that the slackers in CWL aren’t really slacking in my clan. They can’t participate because they aren’t high enough. They are in the clan and supporting us in other ways, including donations, regular wars, clan games, etc. and that is why we give CWL bonuses to players who don’t participate (and players who do). Given the players in my clan who don’t participate are out of the competition against their choice, it would make more sense to me for them to get higher rewards than those in clan games who do one task. In my clan, it isn’t an issue, but I know in others it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tosti111 View Post
    IMO, Clan games are all about participation. Do something (anything) and as a team you will reap the rewards. Choose not to participate, get nothing. It is the equivalent of everyone cleaning the house on Saturday morning followed by everyone going to the park to play as a reward.

CWL is entirely different. It is about war and competition. No participation medals here and no Saturday ice cream in the park just for showing up. You could take the medals away entirely and CWL could stand on it's own. Try doing that to clan games and see how far you get.

Any comparison that suggests they are similar is equivalent to suggesting that a recreation vehicle is like a fighter plane. Yes, they both move, yes they both carry people but the purpose is entirely different and any similarities are minimal.
    They are similar in some ways, but also different. I think there are good arguments that those differences actually favor being more restrictive with rewards in clan games and less so in CWL.

Quote Originally Posted by JusMe View Post
    Clan leadership has total control over clan games: have people in the clan for whom it's not an issue to participate ... if people show they are not participating at the level anticipated [and clearly communicated] within the clan, they are no longer in the clan
    I wouldn’t call it total control, but they have some control (the control to kick). I think it would be an improvement if they had more control. If the clan had the control to set a minimum or set a graduated reward or to shut off rewards for those getting points after the clan has already maxed out, etc. it would be an improvement. Even then it wouldn’t be total control but it would be much closer. I know a lot of clans wouldn’t use it, but there are all sorts of settings within the game that many clans don’t use.
    Last edited by 2222; 1 Week Ago at 04:06 PM.
    Contact SC here. Click here to see how trophies are calculated. I'm still thinking starting the "new" legends at Legends2 at 5500 and having Legends3 be for 5000-5499 would be good (with season resets to 5000 and 5500 depending on your trophies at season end) but overall I LOVE the Legends change. Thanks SC.

Forum Veteran
    the only thing i can think of is, in SC's mind, CG is targeted towards casuals while cwl is targeted towards the competitive scene.
    while casuals can also enjoy cwl, but creating different rewards bench marks for masters and below leagues & champs leagues wouldn't be necessary.

Forum Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 2222 View Post
    Well said and makes a lot of sense, but the part I think is missing is that the slackers in CWL aren’t really slacking in my clan. They can’t participate because they aren’t high enough. They are in the clan and supporting us in other ways, including donations, regular wars, clan games, etc. and that is why we give CWL bonuses to players who don’t participate (and players who do). Given the players in my clan who don’t participate are out of the competition against their choice, it would make more sense to me for them to get higher rewards than those in clan games who do one task. In my clan, it isn’t an issue, but I know in others it is.
    Right, they can't participate because they aren't high enough. So they get SOME rewards because it isn't their fault they aren't in CWL. But SC also dangles the carrot of "work hard/spend money to advance" because if you do, you'll get high enough to get the better rewards.

Whether it's a carrot or a stick, I think in CG it is "join a clan, be a part of clan, have a group activity". In CWL it is "advance your base, be competitive, get better". And viewed through those 2 lenses, the reward system makes sense (and if it doesn't make sense, it's likely that someone chooses to view them via a different lens).

Whether or not that's how it "should" be...that seems to be the logical viewpoint I imagine SC took if I start at the end "reward system" and work my way backwards towards a motivation given what we already know to be the motivation of CWL which is advancement/progression.

I think it's also worth considering ramifications if people did get big rewards in CWL without much participation. CWL is essentially the counter to regular wars. Regular wars reward camping, CWL rewards progression. Giving campers good rewards in CWL, and also rewarding them in regular wars, doesn't really provide much motivation for those folks to progress if they'd typically prefer to camp for regular wars. I suspect similarly it's also a way to prevent very low level players from reaping massive rewards in a passive way. If you start dumping huge rewards on very low level players, their motivation to spend real money decreases as they have a large passive resource to utilize instead.