Thread: CWL needs to be rebalanced

CWL needs to be rebalanced

August's cwl just ended for us (we were in gold league 2) & we finished in 1st place with a record of 5 wins, 2 losses. We scored the most stars and had higher damage percent.
    Now, the clan in 2nd place finished with a 5-2 record and 34 less stars than us. They also beat us in our head-to-head match.
    However, the 3rd place team had a 7-0 record... undefeated...it is absolutely ridiculous that a clan can score just enough stars to win every war in cwl, but not so many that they don't get promoted.
    I view this as a new way for clans to engineer cwl in order to capitalize/maximize medals without getting promoted to a league more their level.
    Please change the way cwl placement is decided.
    The new format could go by win-loss record: best to worst.
    In the case of a tie: first tie breaker, stars scored
    Second tie breaker, destruction/damage percentage
    Third tie breaker, winner between the head-to-head match up of tied clans.
    Again, we should not have finished in 1st place. I hope I don't come across as complaining, but I just find it odd we can drop 2 matches (not intentionally) and still finish in 1st place, while another clan goes undefeated (7-0) and finishes in 3rd.
    Sonething needs to change b/c more & more clans will start doing this (if they already aren't doing it).
    Thoughts?

Edit: I'd also like to see the extra bonuses tied to where a clan finishes instead of being given an extra bonus for each win. So 1st place would get 7, 2nd place 6, 3rd place 5, 4th place 4, 5th place 3, 6th place 2, 7th place 1, and 8th place 0 extra bonuses.
    Each clan would still get the minimum bonuses to hand out for the league they are in.
    Last edited by joemann8478; August 9th, 2019 at 09:52 AM.

It's almost never worth it to stay in a league versus moving up since wins don't really mean as much.

Looking at the tiers being 1st in a tier is almost the same as being 7th/8th in the next higher tier.

Yes, you might loose a few bonus batches, but everyone in your roster/lineup has the potential for far more Medals.

Level 18
    - 9,363/18,500| Master I
    BloodyIrishman - TH12 [Level 206] - #2 in TH12 Hall of Fame
    Follow this link if you're interested in joining!

Forum Veteran
    Thoughts? That any clan doing this hasn't figured out that the medal reward system for CWL has already been changed to reward medals by your place in the league, and so finishing 3rd in the league means less medals than 1st or 2nd, and also means less medals than 7th or 8th in the league above...so they are not maximizing their medal count (other than potentially bonus medals, which cannot hit everyone, and therefore isn't a good reason to stay lower).

This seems like the same people who buy the EA or some other big defense and then don't place it on their base in war because they incorrectly think it will keep their war weight low. They think they're being clever, but they're actually hurting themselves because they don't understand how things work.

That assumes they really are "tanking"...as opposed to just trying to win but also trying to rotate folks in towards the bottom to get their stars in order to get medals (for example, when we see a history in our league of a clan who doesn't try at all and gets 5-10 stars per war, we're throw in all our worst folks so they can get some medals, and we'll regularly get 15 medals less than everyone else who faced them because we knew we would win regardless, but it kills our medal count when we don't rack up easy medals against a creampuff like the other clans do).
    Last edited by dmoore1998; August 9th, 2019 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joemann8478 View Post
    August's cwl just ended for us (we were in gold league 2) & we finished in 1st place with a record of 5 wins, 2 losses. We scored the most stars and had higher damage percent.
    Now, the clan in 2nd place finished with a 5-2 record and 34 less stars than us. They also beat us in our head-to-head match.
    However, the 3rd place team had a 7-0 record... undefeated...it is absolutely ridiculous that a clan can score just enough stars to win every war in cwl, but not so many that they don't get promoted.
    I view this as a new way for clans to engineer cwl in order to capitalize/maximize medals without getting promoted to a league more their level.
    Please change the way cwl placement is decided.
    The new format could go by win-loss record: best to worst.
    In the case of a tie: first tie breaker, stars scored
    Second tie breaker, destruction/damage percentage
    Third tie breaker, winner between the head-to-head match up of tied clans.
    Again, we should not have finished in 1st place. I hope I don't come across as complaining, but I just find it odd we can drop 2 matches (not intentionally) and still finish in 1st place, while another clan goes undefeated (7-0) and finishes in 3rd.
    Sonething needs to change b/c more & more clans will start doing this (if they already aren't doing it).
    Thoughts?

Edit: I'd also like to see the extra bonuses tied to where a clan finishes instead of being given an extra bonus for each win. So 1st place would get 7, 2nd place 6, 3rd place 5, 4th place 4, 5th place 3, 6th place 2, 7th place 1, and 8th place 0 extra bonuses.
    Each clan would still get the minimum bonuses to hand out for the league they are in.
    Why do you think they are maximizing medals compared to if they moved up to the next league and did some seasons there? It must be pretty close even with the bonuses. Either way, though, your idea of having the bonuses tied to final placement rather than wins is a great one. I don’t know if SC is looking at improving it at all, but that would really be a nice improvement.
    Contact SC here. Click here to see how trophies are calculated. I'm still thinking starting the "new" legends at Legends2 at 5500 and having Legends3 be for 5000-5499 would be good (with season resets to 5000 and 5500 depending on your trophies at season end) but overall I LOVE the Legends change. Thanks SC.

Quote Originally Posted by 2222 View Post
    Why do you think they are maximizing medals compared to if they moved up to the next league and did some seasons there? It must be pretty close even with the bonuses. Either way, though, your idea of having the bonuses tied to final placement rather than wins is a great one. I don’t know if SC is looking at improving it at all, but that would really be a nice improvement.
    I don't know if the clan in 3rd did this intentionally or not. But in most leagues the top 2 clans get promoted.
    So, a clan that wins every war but finishes in 3rd, maximizes their medals all the while avoiding promotion to a higher keague where they might not win all 7 wars.
    Also, by winning all 7 wars, they get 7 extra bonuses to hand out.
    My idea about tieing the extra bonuses to league placement is to make cwl more competitive. Also, clans that are winning all 7 wars but are intentionally finishing 3rd to avoid promotion, will get less bonuses, thus forcing them to be more competitive to get more bonuses, thus forcing them into a more proper league, or they'll remain where they are and not care about less bonuses.