Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OBS - impact on global chat

OBS - impact on global chat

I very rarely go onto global, since it’s full of hostile testosterone fuelled 12 year olds who ‘want gf’ and call me ‘bro’ until I don’t invite them then they try to get me banned

but as an experiment I went on this evening , just for a bit, and lurked.

What was interesting was that I saw not one, not a single legend player.

last time I visited global there were quite a few legends, all chillin, while they waited for the clouds to clear, now there appear to be none.

just thought I’d share.

Might not be kids calling everyone bro, all the players from India in my clan call everyone bro. Other countries just catching up with the US, where we called everyone bro in the 1970’s lol.

Forum Legend
    Bro's are gonna bro.

Luckily, I'm not forced to have any "bro's" around me on a daily basis in clan. (Bro's get kicked)

Generally I chat in global (and I am in Legend) but the game play has changed, so that I really don't have to suffer the foolines of 12 year olds.

/Affront

Quote Originally Posted by Affront View Post
    Bro's are gonna bro.

Luckily, I'm not forced to have any "bro's" around me on a daily basis in clan. (Bro's get kicked)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyRay View Post
    all the players from India in my clan call everyone bro. Other countries just catching up with the US, where we called everyone bro in the 1970’s lol.
    bro is english term for 'bhai' [hindi] which is relatively common in India [its a sign of respect]

Forum Veteran
    I still sometimes go to global with a legends account. Not because of clouding obviously, but if I'm waiting on something else, e.g. I just donated someone troops from my active army and I need to rebuild them before I attack.

The number of Legend badges on global indeed is way less then before, which was to be expected. Global chat was a way to spend the time between pressing the search button and finding a base, and now there is no more wait. Cannot say I miss that much, even though I have had some nice encounters on global.

Senior Member twentyfivemillion's Avatar
    Bro's are gonna bro.

Generally I chat in global (and I am in Legend) but the game play has changed, so that I really don't have to suffer the foolines of 12 year olds.

/Affront
    Lol. Our clan accepts people from everywhere, but we also have a strict “no bro” code.

Forum Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by TerMinus Prime View Post
    bro is english term for 'bhai' [hindi] which is relatively common in India [its a sign of respect]
    In a multicultural setting, it's generally a bad idea to apply your own norms regarding "respect" on everybody else.

I find it wildly offensive, to be addressed as "Sir" or "Bro" and will point this out to people. The "polite form", thou or thee is not used in English, but the form do exist. In Spanish and German the form is used much more. In Danish, the use of the polite form can be seen as YOU distancing yourself from the person you are addressing, i.e. in some cases, it's a passive aggressive way if telling a person you don't like them.

so.. blindly translating something YOU find respectful, to a different language, can have unfortunate side effects.

Know your audience and don't "Bro" anybody in English, but use it all you want in Hindi, where it belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by twentyfivemillion View Post
    Lol. Our clan accepts people from everywhere, but we also have a strict “no bro” code.
    We do actually accept players from anywhere, if they can behave like grown adults. Our token Canadian is walking the line, when he asks for pictures of my sister, but, I guess that's just a sign of respect in Canada and I let it slide :-)

/Affront

In a multicultural setting, it's generally a bad idea to apply your own norms regarding "respect" on everybody else.

I find it wildly offensive, to be addressed as "Sir" or "Bro" and will point this out to people. The "polite form", thou or thee is not used in English, but the form do exist. In Spanish and German the form is used much more. In Danish, the use of the polite form can be seen as YOU distancing yourself from the person you are addressing, i.e. in some cases, it's a passive aggressive way if telling a person you don't like them.

so.. blindly translating something YOU find respectful, to a different language, can have unfortunate side effects.

Know your audience and don't "Bro" anybody in English, but use it all you want in Hindi, where it belongs.

/Affront
    Completely agree, all you have to do is explain that person , 'bro' word is not something you should use casually in an international clan[kick if he repeats], they wont repeat that . International clan is all about different culture coming together after all .
    for me bro is not offensive , for you it is which is totally fine .
    i'll make sure that i find you in global and call you 'bro' lol *i.e if you use norsk*

We do actually accept players from anywhere, if they can behave like grown adults. Our token Canadian is walking the line, when he asks for pictures of my sister, but, I guess that's just a sign of respect in Canada and I let it slide :-)

/Affront
    That is a very thoughtful way of approaching this kind of situation.

/Agree
    Last edited by iGroot; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    I would love to see space unicorns and cosmic cats
    Click Here for Unicorns