Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it acceptable (yet) to spend money on this game?

Is it acceptable (yet) to spend money on this game?

So, for literally YEARS, anyone who buys gems to speed progress has been derided by many ‘proud to be f2p’ players. So often you read the proud boast ‘I haven’t spent a cent on this game’ and even just now one forummer felt it was good to advise another ‘never spend money on a game’.

But without money, the game wouldn’t exist. If non-one bought gems , or season passes, or special offer packs, SC would have to either cease support of the game or find other ways (like in game ads) to make it pay.

So have we finally all understood that one of the most successful video games of all time has achieved its success at least in part because a sizeable portion of its player base IS willing to pay to play? Or are those of us who spend some of our discretionary income here still looked down on by the proud freeloaders as ‘dirty gemmers’ with ‘no skill’ ?

Just wondering

I always thought the people that were proud and vocal "F2P" were obnoxious - I get that some people can't afford to buy stuff ingame, and that's fine, but no need to condemn those who can. If you enjoy something and can afford to pay, then why not since it supports the game staying around.
    Last edited by RhaegarTargaryen; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:44 PM.

There has always been friction between f2p and p2p players in any freemium model. It's about as rational as the religious wars between maxers and rushers. Judging by the number of skinned heroes I see, paying has indeed become more acceptable. Or just maybe supercel found the right formula. For a long time, I just didn't find value in spending. 5$ for enough gems for one hero upgrade did not appeal. Books, packs, pass all feel like they provide me great value so I spend. Even so, I've not come close to what I needed to spend to keep up in a similar game in a galaxy far, far away. I deleted that one btw. In my clan, I will not tolerate any hate on either stripe. I don't push spending or not spending. At this point in my life, what I spend is meaningless. At others, it would have required consulting with the boss to see if we had a spare 5$. Heck, a 15$ CD or dinner at McDonald's was a big deal then. Everyone has different circumstances. To me, there is no moral superiority to either spend or not spend. There is, however, in respecting other's choices. I expect a well know dusky fellow to become a maxer before universal respect breaks out though.
    Last edited by Piper139; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:57 PM.
    sig by dharmaraj in sig shop
    Clan: MN ICE #8UCRP8CL
    IGN: Piper139 #2PQQR9Q22

It’s always driven me crazy how people go on about being f2p, as they are so proud about it but clash would be long dead if everyone did that!

If often bought the special offer packs from time to time, and I deffo do the gold pass as anyone would be mad not too (even tho I’m a max th12!)

So I’m a spender (not much but some) and proud!!

Both groups are important. Paying customers will finance the game while F2P will give it a bigger player base. Of course there should be an advantage for paying people otherwise no one would pay it. As long as SC doesn’t turn CoC into a P2W game, everything is just fine. I spent around $250 already and absolutely don’t regret it. Those ones who talk shiit about gemmers are generally noobs who think one can quickly become a max th12 with a few bucks, or kids, or both.
    Last edited by RagnarFurias; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:09 PM.
    Nothing here stays the same forever. You must learn to change as the game changes, or clash will force you one way or another.

I believe Gold Pass changed the meta, its cheap, its a huge boost and it gives skins that let you customize your heroes
    We spend 5$ on daily basis without even notice.. why not spend it on something we put so much time on

I was F2P till june update, Im playing for few years now and I was max12( building wise) with over 250 walls left to max when I decided to buy gold pass to boost thing up. everything else feels very expensive and farming it free wasnt so hard to justify gems

On the USS Defiant charting the Delta Quadrant and studying Species P900B00181
    Quote Originally Posted by AxsMan View Post
    ...So have we finally all understood that one of the most successful video games of all time has achieved its success at least in part because a sizeable portion of its player base IS willing to pay to play? Or are those of us who spend some of our discretionary income here still looked down on by the proud freeloaders as ‘dirty gemmers’ with ‘no skill’ ?

Just wondering
    I don't say the following often enough: Thank you to those who support Supercell games financially in ways I cannot so they may continue to entertain me for years and years.

---
    Lynn
    July 21, 2019
    What the hell?
    The L bunny is elusive as the Scarlet Pimpernel.
    Yet many farms heard recently the toll of the bell.
    Thank you so much sweet Supercell.
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...cussion-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by iRvN View Post
    I believe Gold Pass changed the meta, its cheap, its a huge boost and it gives skins that let you customize your heroes
    We spend 5$ on daily basis without even notice.. why not spend it on something we put so much time on

I was F2P till june update, Im playing for few years now and I was max12( building wise) with over 250 walls left to max when I decided to buy gold pass to boost thing up. everything else feels very expensive and farming it free wasnt so hard to justify gems
    yeah, it’s the same cycle... when they came up with value packs people stopped buying regular gem packs, and started waiting for value packs. Now that we have Gold Pass, they will have to improve the value of regular value packs otherwise people with stop buying those too.
    Nothing here stays the same forever. You must learn to change as the game changes, or clash will force you one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by AxsMan View Post
    So have we finally all understood that one of the most successful video games of all time has achieved its success at least in part because a sizeable portion of its player base IS willing to pay to play? Or are those of us who spend some of our discretionary income here still looked down on by the proud freeloaders as ‘dirty gemmers’ with ‘no skill’ ?

Just wondering
    No, because people are insanely ignorant. There will always be people who don't understand or agree with a company's business model. We don't see them too often but from time to time you'll see very vocal hatred from a small minority of disgruntled customers (whether they're pure f2p or former p2p) who will come here to spout off their ill informed justifications for promoting the destruction of this game by discouraging anyone within ear shot not to give their money to those "no good, evil, corrupt, greedy supercell executives"

You'll never be able to convince everyone that supercell has a formula that works unfortunately.
    https://forum-content.supercell.com/signaturepics/sigpic1628699_2.gif
    | TH11 | BK 46 | AQ 48 | GW 19 |

Forum Veteran
    The literal answer to the question is that it's always been OK to spend money on the game.

If you are asking if all of the "proud to be f2p" people are gone, then no, there are still some around.