Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Looking for clan mates section - needs a reboot?

Lightbulb Looking for clan mates section - needs a reboot?

I had been peeking at this section before, and posted in it earlier this week. Admittedly this is early observations, but it feels like an area of the forum that is an exercise in increasing your post count. By having the bump limit set at once per day, it creates a level of churn that makes the whole area largely meaningless. Has any thought been given to changing the bump frequency. If it were, say, once per week then you would get through about 7 pages in 7 days as opposed to 1. With the reduction in post frequency it would mean any clan could be expected to stay on there a little longer. Those families with more than 1 clan post (Invictus, for example) could just move to bumping 1 per day, and they would get more scattered though it rather than being a big block on a page - it might be better for them - or they could choose to stay as is.

Ultimately you would have the same content, but reduce the number of “bump” posts, reducing the churn.
    Started playing Jan 2019
    Convert from DomiNations
    Part of Sheepdogs - woof!
    TH11 - LOJY8UUP9

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    I have a different view of it. If I were looking to join a clan, I'd be more interested in a clan that regularly and actively recruits, and who has been doing it for a long time, than a brand new clan or a brand new poster. You'd have to imagine that if players could only bump once per week, the threads by those who actively and regularly recruit would be outnumbered 7-to-1. However, in reality it'd probably be closer to 70-to-1.

Personally, I'd prefer a different system altogether where leaders could select detailed criteria about their clan (language, player regions, ages, game play focus, levels of townhalls, requirements, etc.) combined with real-time statistics (member counts, player turn-over, win-loss records, CWL league) and a detailed clan page where players can better search for clans, and all clans could have a single static page for recruiting. I imagine something in the line of a Help Wanted/Job Seeking site or even a Dating site to pair players with clans. I'd love to see someone work on it and I'd definitely join. I think there would be a lot of benefit and it'd drive a lot of traffic.
    SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site

SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site -+- SharkBite YouTube Channel
    USAR (#2GR9YCGR) - Level 19 - 664 Clan War wins
    Private Message - + - Forum Rules - + - Fan Content Policy

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyFinn View Post

Personally, I'd prefer a different system altogether where leaders could select detailed criteria about their clan (language, player regions, ages, game play focus, levels of townhalls, requirements, etc.) combined with real-time statistics (member counts, player turn-over, win-loss records, CWL league) and a detailed clan page where players can better search for clans, and all clans could have a single static page for recruiting. I imagine something in the line of a Help Wanted/Job Seeking site or even a Dating site to pair players with clans. I'd love to see someone work on it and I'd definitely join. I think there would be a lot of benefit and it'd drive a lot of traffic.
    I agree, Sharky, the forum format isn’t really supporting such activity.
    Something that provides an actual search functionality, and more organization (as you mention), would better suit the purpose.

I’ve had a few clan pages, still my current clan has an active thread, not updated/bumped in about a year or 2 ... But I can’t recall ever really recruiting using that forum, in the last 5 years.

Another point, the OP of my clan’s previous thread was sanctioned, as, to make it easier for the team, they’d used a shared account... didn’t fly for long (I wasn’t part of the clan back then ). But that also should be considered: a shared ownership of the post, since a clan is rarely one person only.

Main thing needed would be indexing and formatting to allow searches on main clan features.

Well both of those responses suggest it’s a waste of time for me to keep bumping my recruiting thread, so I shall take that hint, at least. A fully indexed, searchable system would be wonderful. But I doubt that’s going to happen. Any thoughts from either of you on steps that could be made to make the thing work better with the existing tools we have?

I honestly wasn’t expecting to get much/any in the way of responses to this, so thank you both for that too.
    Started playing Jan 2019
    Convert from DomiNations
    Part of Sheepdogs - woof!
    TH11 - LOJY8UUP9

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Quali View Post
    Well both of those responses suggest it’s a waste of time for me to keep bumping my recruiting thread, so I shall take that hint, at least. A fully indexed, searchable system would be wonderful. But I doubt that’s going to happen. Any thoughts from either of you on steps that could be made to make the thing work better with the existing tools we have?

I honestly wasn’t expecting to get much/any in the way of responses to this, so thank you both for that too.
    Don't misunderstand. I don't think it's a waste of time at all, and that's exactly how I recruit and always have. The forum seems to be the only place where I can find good, sensible, reliable members. It takes a while, and I often feel frustrated, but I haven't found anything else to compare. I just wish there were something better is all.
    SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site

SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site -+- SharkBite YouTube Channel
    USAR (#2GR9YCGR) - Level 19 - 664 Clan War wins
    Private Message - + - Forum Rules - + - Fan Content Policy

Quote Originally Posted by Quali View Post

It is just my experience regarding players joining based on the forum recruitment thread.
    I/We were never too seriously keeping it bumped at a high frequency... I’d guess digging it out of the pages wouldn’t make much sense now.
    Yet, the old thread was even listed as example of how to advertise a clan, and had success it seems, at least in 2013...