Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Thoughts and advice on the new Legend League

Thoughts and advice on the new Legend League

I have been in the Legend League for several years now. After the rework, I stand at a very decent 5300-5400 trophies for the most part, which allows me to be within the top 10 Irish leader board. So here are some thoughts about the reworked Legend League and some advice to players who are thinking about joining it.

First, let me start by saying that the Legend League seems to be a pretty empty place right now. I am currently at 5426 trophies, and I am in position 4546 globally. This is crazy. It clearly shows that the number of legends has dropped significantly since the rework, and, in my opinion, this constitutes a failure from SC's part: indeed, only a couple of months ago, someone from SC (I believe it was Darian) was saying in an interview that the number of legends had increased despite the clouds and they considered this to be a big success. Well, clearly the rework has had the opposite effect. And, although the leaderboards should reflect skill and strategy, the Legend League as a whole should be inviting and possible to join without too much pressure. One possible way to achieve this would be to move the trophy reset above 5000 trophies, say at 5500 or even 6000.

Being in Legend League, the army you use is important. It should be the equivalent of a Swiss army knife, good for all bases. Judging from my defenses, as well as YT videos, most people prefer some sort of a queen walk. This, in itself, is interesting... When an army composition dominates all others, this is a strong indication that it may need a nerf. The major balancing feature of the queen walk is the unpredictability of the pathing of the queen. Right when you set your funnel and the queen seems poised to go one way, she suddenly turns around and goes the other way... and so does your raid! So the trick is not to try to steer the queen, but rather wait to see which way she goes and then deploy troops accordingly. This being said, this is easier said than done, and, besides, other army compositions should be viable. In my opinion, electro dragons with rages, freezes and a slammer full of balloons is the safest army right now for two stars in every raid.

Alas, the base you use is also important, and this is very unfortunate. Those who claim that the rework has leveled the playing field, because you no longer need to have a lot of free time to compete, are mistaken, as a lot of time has to be spent now on base design, and those who put the time have an advantage. A novel base will get you far, but, as it becomes successful and people copy it, it becomes very common, people practice on it, and it ceases to be effective, thus a new base is neede. This does not necessarily mean that you need to design bases yourself, but rather that you need to be on the lookout for new bases to copy. In my experience, the best bases are those with an element of bait (also known as teaser bases). They invite the opponent to attack from a certain side, by leaving the TH deceptively close to the edge, only to concentrate all traps in that area and unleash hell on the attacking troops.

So, in summary, if you want to join Legend League:
    a) Please do! But,
    a) Change your base often; and
    b) Use a solid 2 star army (such as electro-dragons)
    CoC: Co-Leader in war clan Greece #JJ2C28G. Always recruiting Greek-speaking warriors!
    CR: Elder in Greece elite #28P09JY
    BB: Member in Greece #GVQRY2

Forum Veteran
    My thoughts, after being in legends for a few weeks:

I still enjoy the things that I enjoyed initially - the loot, not having to manage defensive shields, lack of clouds.

Getting all my attacks in, on multiple accounts, is a challenge, especially during CWL week when I'm making a lot of war attacks per day across all my alts.

Fortunately, it's not necessary to get all 8 attacks in on an account in order to stay in legends.

Once I re-max-out a TH12, I think I'm not going to spend the effort to stay in legends any more, and shift my attacking to a different account.

It's way more fun when my heroes are all awake, and much less fun when I have 2 or more upgrading. They're awake right now for CWL week, but when that ends, I'm kind of groaning at the idea of upgrading them again and slogging through my attacks without them.

Hitting the same base 4 out of 8 times is a little tiresome, but with so much practice I'm becoming adept at 2 starring it with minimal effort.

Well I highly doubt the number of people in Legends actually dropped, probably is even is higher as people hating clouds now can play Legends as well.

However, many Legends players that were high ranked in the old system, are in low Legends now. They did have the opportunity to be online for many hours a day, but did not necessarily have the skill to do very well in their attacks. As long as they did more attacks then defenses they could keep on rising simply because of the time they spent online.

Within the new system, provided you can do your 8 attacks per day every day of the month, skill is the factor deciding where you will end up. Staying below roughly 5200 trophies is easy and you can skip an attack or two, but over 5400 it gets harder and you will need an occasional triple. And obviously a base that defends well.

So, your position on the ranking does not imply there are less Legends, it simply implies you have more skill then most :-)

Sitting at 5080 cups and ranked 168k.
    All us lazy farmers are at the bottom of the pool. ��
    Level: 250 | TH12 | GG 2B
    Highest Trophy Count:5225 | Donations: 1.1 million | Hero Levels: 150
    Leader of Rogue Elite
    #8200L0UJ
    Retired League Clan and Players recruiting experienced attackers to play in a relaxed and fun environment.
    ​Our Discord link https://discord.gg/pwz4W2h

Quote Originally Posted by LordSk View Post
    So, your position on the ranking does not imply there are less Legends, it simply implies you have more skill then most :-)
    This is spot on. OP, you are gaining an average of 30 cups per day (2 weeks into the season, you've gained 426 trophies)
    So you are obviously attacking and defending well, which has pushed you quite high.

I'm happy to currently be at 5283 trophies (taken a couple of defences today, but not attacked yet) - and I'm at 25,345 in global. So there's only 143 trophies between us, and over 20,000 people.

It will be interesting to see how high people can actually get over the season (not even sure what the record is!) - and I suspect a lot of players are more casual, happy to stay above 5000 for a decent win bonus, and not have to deal with any clouds!

Millennial Club
    The reason there appears to be less people in legends is because the people who used to dominate legends are no no where to be seen because the old system was so broken they were never supposed to be in legends to begin with. Now that legends mostly requires skill a lot of the people who used their play time as a crutch are no more.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyValker View Post
    I'm happy to currently be at 5283 trophies (taken a couple of defences today, but not attacked yet) - and I'm at 25,345 in global. So there's only 143 trophies between us, and over 20,000 people.

5361 with 11676 global here (3 attacks 3 defenses). Thats only 65 cups difference. Indeed shows that a few cups make a huge difference in global rankings! Would be nice if someone in Legends around or under 5k cups can post their ranking as that gives a good indication of how many people are in Legends League.

At the start of the season I dropped from Legend all the way right down to Master, quickly farmed my heroes and walls to max and pushed back up - at 5400 now, with 20 days left in the season I like that the system makes things about skill, you can really celebrate every 1 star defence or 3 star attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Warios View Post
    Sitting at 5080 cups and ranked 168k.
    All us lazy farmers are at the bottom of the pool. ��
    And that rank isn't far off the rank for those cups before the update. Which implies there aren't really fewer people in Legends.

BUT there might be fewer people with substantially more than 5k cups. It could be lazy farmers. Or it could just be that there isn't the same supply of trophies available - previously Legends players could initially gain trophies rapidly by hitting Titans players hard, until they climbed high enough to be out of range of that, and the clouds became overwhelming. But now every cup you gain has been lost by some other Legends players - cups are much more competitive. So there aren't loads of people reaching 5500 or 6000, because there just aren't enough cups around for that.

I'll get a proper comparison at the end of the season from the API
    Various data posts: Who plays what? CWL data 1 (stars), 2 (3* rates), 3 (rosters), 4 (start times and other) Data at end of old Legends And (non-data) how max bases are ordered in war
    --------------------
    Forum cup organiser. The forum cup discord server is: https://discord.gg/KEUxV2e

I play in legend last few years, now till update drop to t3 bcz no more can farm in legend. In second week I be again full and come back to legend. Now I stay around 4900