Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: The drama in Norsk, and stolen accounts

  1. #1

    The drama in Norsk, and stolen accounts

    In Norsk, there's currently a player using the name of (a shelled animal that became a meme). [Not mentioning their name, so no forum rules were broken]
    Most in the chat has apparently 'witnessed' him scamming people out of their accounts. He's been the topic for multiple globals. His account scams include, but is not limited to, certain TH-specific pushing clans.
    My question to the forums is, although I do not have proof that the abovementioned user is scamming accounts, why isn't Supercell doing anything, depsite the fact that people would clearly report him for it? He seems to be openly taunting Supercell, stealing entire clans (lvl10+) and keeping them dormant for later use, and/or selling them.
    Supposedly, the user in question clearly knows what Supercell is looking for, and has somehow convinced them that he owns all of the accounts.
    Last year, I posted about on the forums about a clan full of potentially stolen accounts that were stolen by using the REGISTER supercell ID scam. My friend got his stolen account back through support, and I still have their player tag. And I had forgotten about the stolen accounts... until i saw that the clan of (a shelled animal's name). The clan had not one, but TWO accounts whose player tags I have confirmed were once in the clans that were previously stolen.
    My question to the forums is.. what can I do with all of this evidence? It seems to be too much to send to in-game support. Imagine one agent getting this entire case. It's too much for one person to deal with, right? So what can I do?

  2. #2
    Firstly I think it is important that someone point out that this is a forum of players, not SC support. This means you are in the wrong place to get action by SC.
    Secondly, those who are still getting scammed probably deserve to be. There has been enough publicity about it.
    There is a very wise saying in this world...'If something seems too good to be true, it probably is'.
    Scammers work by offering to give away a th12, claiming they have stopped playing or are too busy.
    Who really believes that. If you have put the time and effort into a th12 you have contactis in the game and wouldn't be trolling global to find a random person to give your account away.
    It doesn't take much to wok this out.
    My best advice is to mute the player on global and get about playing your game. You will enjoy it much more.

  3. #3
    Forum Champion Phoenix1027's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    The Land
    Posts
    5,617
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyBadness View Post
    Firstly I think it is important that someone point out that this is a forum of players, not SC support. This means you are in the wrong place to get action by SC.
    Secondly, those who are still getting scammed probably deserve to be. There has been enough publicity about it.
    There is a very wise saying in this world...'If something seems too good to be true, it probably is'.
    Scammers work by offering to give away a th12, claiming they have stopped playing or are too busy.
    Who really believes that. If you have put the time and effort into a th12 you have contactis in the game and wouldn't be trolling global to find a random person to give your account away.
    It doesn't take much to wok this out.
    My best advice is to mute the player on global and get about playing your game. You will enjoy it much more.
    Saying people deserve to be scammed out of their accounts is crossing a line. These scammers target the most naive players who have little to no understanding of how supercell ID works. Yes, a lot of them are tricked into thinking they're getting a free account and it's their fault for falling for it, but we can't be focusing the blame on them when there's bigger scumbags out there looking for desperate or naive players like that.
    https://forum-content.supercell.com/signaturepics/sigpic1628699_2.gif
    | TH11 | BK 47 | AQ 49 | GW 20 |

  4. #4
    Forum Master wotanwaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    right behind you
    Posts
    10,337
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnusualGuy View Post
    snip
    My question to the forums is, although I do not have proof that the above mentioned user is scamming accounts, why isn't Supercell doing anything, depsite the fact that people would clearly report him for it? He seems to be openly taunting Supercell, stealing entire clans (lvl10+) and keeping them dormant for later use, and/or selling them.
    snip
    My question to the forums is.. what can I do with all of this evidence? It seems to be too much to send to in-game support. Imagine one agent getting this entire case. It's too much for one person to deal with, right? So what can I do?
    without any proof you cant do anything.
    there are always two people needed to scam accounts → the sammer and the victim (willing to break the rules). if people would not try to te get accounts of other players no one would be scammed.

  5. #5
    Pro Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    578
    I agree that nobody deserves to be Scammed but unfortunately some will always be Scanned for numerous reasons including themselves.

    Focusing “Blame” is in my Opinion the wrong title - A degree of Self Responsibility would be better.

    The Scammers will be “Out & About” soon enough and will no doubt be successful - Everyone Just needs to be aware of them & give them a Wide Berth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix1027 View Post
    Saying people deserve to be scammed out of their accounts is crossing a line. These scammers target the most naive players who have little to no understanding of how supercell ID works. Yes, a lot of them are tricked into thinking they're getting a free account and it's their fault for falling for it, but we can't be focusing the blame on them when there's bigger scumbags out there looking for desperate or naive players like that.

  6. #6
    Forum Veteran PapaTroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,963
    I don't believe for a second there has been enough publicity on the working of SCID and the loophole that allows scams. We here in the forums are well aware. But there are only a few thousand of us. There are somewhere around 5 million logging on to play daily. We forumites make up the tiniest fraction of one percent of the player base.
    SCID was supposed to secure accounts against loss. My observation is that it has inadvertantly created a backdoor for human engineering attacks that makes thousands of accounts LESS secure, not more.
    You can say victims deserve it. You can say they should read the TOS. You can say they should all visit the forums and follow the quickly closed threads on lost accounts. But there is a substantial gap between "should" and the real world.

    SCID is a noble idea that fell short. Google play did a much better job at securing accounts.

  7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaTroll View Post
    I don't believe for a second there has been enough publicity on the working of SCID and the loophole that allows scams. We here in the forums are well aware. But there are only a few thousand of us. There are somewhere around 5 million logging on to play daily. We forumites make up the tiniest fraction of one percent of the player base.
    A lot more than 5 million play daily-10s of millions according TO SC. But that just reinforces your point.

    SCID was supposed to secure accounts against loss. My observation is that it has inadvertantly created a backdoor for human engineering attacks that makes thousands of accounts LESS secure, not more.
    That is false. It makes them very much more secure - once properly connected. The loophole only exists for players who have not yet connected their accounts to SCID.

    You can say victims deserve it. You can say they should read the TOS. You can say they should all visit the forums and follow the quickly closed threads on lost accounts. But there is a substantial gap between "should" and the real world.
    Indeed. I would never say they deserve it, though they do share some of the responsibility.

    SCID is a noble idea that fell short. Google play did a much better job at securing accounts.
    No it doesn't. The vulnerabilities that are there with Google Play remain present once you are connected. I haven't heard of anybody losing an already connected account to scammers with SCID.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grill View Post
    But when something like an update is to be expected all stupid breaks loose and it just becomes an idiot storm of catastrophic proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Maverick View Post
    Any more balance to th10 will make th10 broken...
    My stats (main account)

  8. #8
    Millennial Club Luicetarro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    No it doesn't. The vulnerabilities that are there with Google Play remain present once you are connected. I haven't heard of anybody losing an already connected account to scammers with SCID.
    That's the whole point.
    While it does prevent the loss of your account ONCE connected, it doesn't check for your personal details WHILE connecting.
    All you need to do is to enter a code. Doesn't matter where it does come from. There is no check whatsoever if the one recaiving the code is the onwe owning the village.
    Now take someone naive (or young) enough to believe someone is trying to help you and - boom - account lost. Just like that.

    Another great idea that does fall short on SCs inability to think about the shady nature of mankind. It's actually nice they can't think of a way to abuse their own system, it does make me feel like they are nice guys - just it's bad for a game to not have someone testing such stuff that DOES know such ways.
    Last edited by Luicetarro; July 6th, 2019 at 12:03 PM.

  9. #9
    It is suprising to me that SC hasn't added an additional step to signing up to SCID where the person has to click on a big warning that points out they are now giving control of their account to whomever has control of the email they entered.
    Contact SC here. Click here to see how trophies are calculated. I'm still thinking starting the "new" legends at Legends2 at 5500 and having Legends3 be for 5000-5499 would be good (with season resets to 5000 and 5500 depending on your trophies at season end) but overall I LOVE the Legends change. Thanks SC.

  10. #10
    Forum Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    9,689
    Quote Originally Posted by 2222 View Post
    It is suprising to me that SC hasn't added an additional step to signing up to SCID where the person has to click on a big warning that points out they are now giving control of their account to whomever has control of the email they entered.
    “You can only sign up for SCID on this device”, “when you are signed up, you can move your account to another device if you want”

    The process let people sign up and allow the newly sined up SCID to be on a completely different device, THAT is flawed.

    If you have access to an account, you have access to a device, the signup process should simply go from one sign-in method on THAT DEVICE to another sign-in method on the exact same device. If sign-in on the same device fails, the sign up for SCID should simply fail and do nothing. (Warning the person what the sign-up rules are)

    There is a problem for gullible people here, it’s pretty simple to fix.

    /Affront

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •