Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: The drama in Norsk, and stolen accounts

  1. #11
    Trainee
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10
    I never believe people would fall this. Well, it happened to us last night. Leader (temporary) lost his account and our clan. We have all been demoted and have no idea what will happen to our 5+ year old clan. And this happened to an adult. Can't imagine how many kids are effected by this kind of scam. SS needs to add awareness to this issue.
    RRH
    Lvl 230 TH12 #2GRP8Y, Lvl 202 TH9.75 #20VUPRCV
    Waywatcher Lvl 132 TH8.75 #8RRCLY2L

    My-Rasps V2.1

  2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #12
    Kaptain Kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    On vacation!
    Posts
    11,015
    There is no amount of warning that could ever be enough. People will always fall victim to scams.
    There also needs to be some sort of user friendliness to the system and that’s a delicate balance.

    No matter how often banks and governments etc warn that companies will never ask for your password, PIN numbers, access codes to your online banking system etc etc. yet people fall for this every single day.
    Nowadays there are tons of warning that if people are approached through WhatsApp etc by “someone they know” with a new number and new bank account t number etc and they need money urgently for whatever to make sure you verify this before transferring the money. Despite all the warnings people fall for these scams and many more every single day. How many years has phishing mail existed now ?
    When a certain type of scam fails 100% of the time people will stop bothering to use it.

    Sure things can always be improved upon I wont deny that however all the warnings, verifications, pop ups and confirmations in the world can’t stop people from not bothering to stop a few seconds and actually look at what they’re doing.
    Now it’s SC ID that takes the blame but back in the day people got scammed out of their GC or Google play info regularly.

    In the news section of the game one of the tabs has information on SC ID. It’s been there for many months. So no it’s not just available for forum people or people who follow social media. More info can be found right inside the game itself.

    It just does not make sense that you input someone else’s email address on YOUR game. Period, no ifs, buts and howevers.

    Thank you! ClashOfHolmes for an awesome sig!

    Just call me K, my name is too difficult to spell.
    Hay Day | Level: 120 | # VL8GVUL | Main Hay Day Topics | Forum Rules | HD Wiki
    Clash of Clans | Level: lost count at 200 | #Y0VJUJG

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Kat View Post
    There is no amount of warning that could ever be enough. People will always fall victim to scams.
    There also needs to be some sort of user friendliness to the system and that’s a delicate balance.

    No matter how often banks and governments etc warn that companies will never ask for your password, PIN numbers, access codes to your online banking system etc etc. yet people fall for this every single day.
    Nowadays there are tons of warning that if people are approached through WhatsApp etc by “someone they know” with a new number and new bank account t number etc and they need money urgently for whatever to make sure you verify this before transferring the money. Despite all the warnings people fall for these scams and many more every single day. How many years has phishing mail existed now ?
    When a certain type of scam fails 100% of the time people will stop bothering to use it.

    Sure things can always be improved upon I wont deny that however all the warnings, verifications, pop ups and confirmations in the world can’t stop people from not bothering to stop a few seconds and actually look at what they’re doing.
    Now it’s SC ID that takes the blame but back in the day people got scammed out of their GC or Google play info regularly.

    In the news section of the game one of the tabs has information on SC ID. It’s been there for many months. So no it’s not just available for forum people or people who follow social media. More info can be found right inside the game itself.

    It just does not make sense that you input someone else’s email address on YOUR game. Period, no ifs, buts and howevers.
    I agree and will add that when people are putting someone else's email into their SCID they are also doing it because they think they are being given someone else's account, which also isn't allowed. So, part of me thinks they get what they deserve. However, from SC's own standpoint of having to deal with the recovery of "lost" accounts, not to mention the loss of a happy customer, I do think it would help to make players check a warning that points out they are giving their account to the person with control of the email they are inputting.
    Contact SC here. Click here to see how trophies are calculated. I'm still thinking starting the "new" legends at Legends2 at 5500 and having Legends3 be for 5000-5499 would be good (with season resets to 5000 and 5500 depending on your trophies at season end) but overall I LOVE the Legends change. Thanks SC.

  4. #14
    Millennial Club Luicetarro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by 2222 View Post
    I agree and will add that when people are putting someone else's email into their SCID they are also doing it because they think they are being given someone else's account, which also isn't allowed. So, part of me thinks they get what they deserve. However, from SC's own standpoint of having to deal with the recovery of "lost" accounts, not to mention the loss of a happy customer, I do think it would help to make players check a warning that points out they are giving their account to the person with control of the email they are inputting.
    Not blaming SC for the inability of ppl. Just 'blaming' them for the inability to think of such an easy way to abuse their very own system. Such a warning would cut down the drama, since it 'can' make ppl think twice.
    Sure, there will be the ones asking 'Hey, there is stated...' and believe it, if that Scammer is telling them to 'Just ignore that'. Those can't be helped in any way. It never can. Those always will exist.
    But still such a warning will help. Like a lot.

  5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #15
    Kaptain Kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    On vacation!
    Posts
    11,015
    Quote Originally Posted by 2222 View Post
    I agree and will add that when people are putting someone else's email into their SCID they are also doing it because they think they are being given someone else's account, which also isn't allowed. So, part of me thinks they get what they deserve. However, from SC's own standpoint of having to deal with the recovery of "lost" accounts, not to mention the loss of a happy customer, I do think it would help to make players check a warning that points out they are giving their account to the person with control of the email they are inputting.
    I would certainly like to see such a warning also however I don’t think it will solve all the cases and people just do not read.

    We see the evidence of that all over the place.
    Who really reads the TOS ? If people actually read them they’d know that sharing and transferring accounts is against rules one of the reasons why so many do get scammed in the first place.
    Name changes also come to mind. Once upon a time we were all warned that names couldn’t be changed later. After many moons we got a name change and people were warned again they’d be using their 1 time name change. Etc.
    people clicking through confirmation screens without reading. People clicking through attack screens not seeing they don’t have all their stuff, clicking though this village has been claimed by another, has already been attacked for x stars etc
    People on the forums not reading stickies and can’t be bothered to check and see if there are already 5 topics of the exact same thing on the front page.
    I could go on and on...

    Again I’m certainly not against such a warning, however I have absolutely no illusion that this would be absolutely full proof.

    Thank you! ClashOfHolmes for an awesome sig!

    Just call me K, my name is too difficult to spell.
    Hay Day | Level: 120 | # VL8GVUL | Main Hay Day Topics | Forum Rules | HD Wiki
    Clash of Clans | Level: lost count at 200 | #Y0VJUJG

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Kat View Post
    I would certainly like to see such a warning also however I don’t think it will solve all the cases and people just do not read.

    We see the evidence of that all over the place.
    Who really reads the TOS ? If people actually read them they’d know that sharing and transferring accounts is against rules one of the reasons why so many do get scammed in the first place.
    Name changes also come to mind. Once upon a time we were all warned that names couldn’t be changed later. After many moons we got a name change and people were warned again they’d be using their 1 time name change. Etc.
    people clicking through confirmation screens without reading. People clicking through attack screens not seeing they don’t have all their stuff, clicking though this village has been claimed by another, has already been attacked for x stars etc
    People on the forums not reading stickies and can’t be bothered to check and see if there are already 5 topics of the exact same thing on the front page.
    I could go on and on...

    Again I’m certainly not against such a warning, however I have absolutely no illusion that this would be absolutely full proof.
    I agree it would not eliminate the problem. It would probably reduce it, which would save SC some account recovery time, and it would give SC this answer to the player complaining they were "hacked": you literally clicked a box that said you were giving control of your account to the person with control of that email.
    Contact SC here. Click here to see how trophies are calculated. I'm still thinking starting the "new" legends at Legends2 at 5500 and having Legends3 be for 5000-5499 would be good (with season resets to 5000 and 5500 depending on your trophies at season end) but overall I LOVE the Legends change. Thanks SC.

  7.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #17
    Kaptain Kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    On vacation!
    Posts
    11,015
    Quote Originally Posted by 2222 View Post
    I agree it would not eliminate the problem. It would probably reduce it, which would save SC some account recovery time, and it would give SC this answer to the player complaining they were "hacked": you literally clicked a box that said you were giving control of your account to the person with control of that email.
    That would only really give us a slightly different answer to the “I / my clan was hacked” claim but in essence wouldn’t even be all that different. As it’s always a case of someone compromising the account by actions the owner does.

    Lets also not forget that the game even has an achievement for connecting to SC ID and free gems that come with it.
    If people would’ve bothered to connect their game with an SCID of their own then the “accidentally” linking to someone else’s email address couldn’t even happen in the first place.

    No no matter what SC does, people will always get scammed and others will always say they need to do more to secure it etc.
    but there is a point where it really isn’t reasonable anymore to add more and more layers and make it less and less user friendly.
    Pop up boxes and confirmations and warnings really lose their sense of urgency and importance if they’re used way too much.

    Thank you! ClashOfHolmes for an awesome sig!

    Just call me K, my name is too difficult to spell.
    Hay Day | Level: 120 | # VL8GVUL | Main Hay Day Topics | Forum Rules | HD Wiki
    Clash of Clans | Level: lost count at 200 | #Y0VJUJG

  8. #18
    Forum All-Star PaluEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I forgot...
    Posts
    4,091
    Just a note (I am still not using sc-id): other institutions using email as credentials first ‘verify’ that the email is ‘valid’, then only start allowing to use it for login purposes. One way to dramatically reduce scamming using that sc-id feature could be to add a one-time verification (as is done on the forum actually): if the email is not verified by the user trying to use it in the app, the email is not validated, and cannot be used to link an account. Granted the scammer would attempt to verify the email address (by replying to the email received), but the legitimate owner would have to by-pass one more step, to give away an account. Or the verification could happen only via the originators device game settings.
    This same system could be used by the enduser to change the email associated with the account, without support’s intervention, once an account is already linked.
    just food for thoughts.

  9. #19
    Millennial Club Luicetarro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by PaluEF View Post
    Just a note (I am still not using sc-id): other institutions using email as credentials first ‘verify’ that the email is ‘valid’, then only start allowing to use it for login purposes. One way to dramatically reduce scamming using that sc-id feature could be to add a one-time verification (as is done on the forum actually): if the email is not verified by the user trying to use it in the app, the email is not validated, and cannot be used to link an account. Granted the scammer would attempt to verify the email address (by replying to the email received), but the legitimate owner would have to by-pass one more step, to give away an account. Or the verification could happen only via the originators device game settings.
    This same system could be used by the enduser to change the email associated with the account, without support’s intervention, once an account is already linked.
    just food for thoughts.
    That would solve nothing.
    They already are entering an email given to them, wait for some code and enter that one.
    Taking this one step further by validating the mail would just add another stupid thing that scammed user WILL do, since it's no warning. There is no chance of a bell ringing to make them rethink their doing. It's just another 'And then do this and that and...'.

  10. #20
    Forum All-Star PaluEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I forgot...
    Posts
    4,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Luicetarro View Post
    That would solve nothing.
    They already are entering an email given to them, wait for some code and enter that one.
    Taking this one step further by validating the mail would just add another stupid thing that scammed user WILL do, since it's no warning. There is no chance of a bell ringing to make them rethink their doing. It's just another 'And then do this and that and...'.
    Without having access to the email (the scam) shouldn’t that ring a bell?
    I hear/read what you say/type, but still maybe a big hint .
    Granted people will remain people (change ‘people’ with whatever is more appropriate in this case ).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •