Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: So much spammers/bots in this forum?

Centennial Club

So much spammers/bots in this forum?

Is it me? Or is the rate of spamming increasing by the day? In the short time that I was here and checked the last messages, 5 posts have appeared from obvious bots. Is it really hard to stop that? Just curious...

Just report and move on ... we don't see most of the stuff that is posted like that, because the filters and other things keep it out of our sight ... for the other stuff the mods have enough to do with all of it ... yes, it happens on a daily basis - such is the Interwebz

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3
    We ban the accounts as soon as they post on the forums but we can't stop them from creating new accounts, nor can we stop them from changing their IP address. It's just a constant game of cat and mouse.
    AKA Tank Puppy

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
    Terry Pratchett

Pro Member
    But you could add a timeout between creating an account and allowing the first post

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by zellnera View Post
    But you could add a timeout between creating an account and allowing the first post
    And what happens when they wait out that timer and keep creating accounts in the meantime?
    AKA Tank Puppy

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
    Terry Pratchett

Pro Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    And what happens when they wait out that timer and keep creating accounts in the meantime?
    Then you have nothing lost, but most bots do not work that way, so you could easily reduce the number of new posts by adding a lets say 24h cool down between registration and allowing the first post. Depending to your forum SW a really minor change

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by zellnera View Post
    Then you have nothing lost, but most bots do not work that way, so you could easily reduce the number of new posts by adding a lets say 24h cool down between registration and allowing the first post. Depending to your forum SW a really minor change
    Sometimes proposed solutions are much worse then the actual problem and this is one of them.

If you add such a cooldown then keep in mind that this would also be the case for genuine people who want to sign up to the forums and take part in discussions. Often when they first sign up their post has a sense of urgency. Whether its a problem or a discussion or an update they wish to talk about etc.

A lot of people would lose interest when they find such a cooldown. And its just more important that people can actually post immediately then the problem of the spam bots.

Thank you! ClashOfHolmes for an awesome sig!

Just call me K, my name is too difficult to spell.
    Hay Day | Level: 120 | # VL8GVUL | Main Hay Day Topics | Forum Rules | HD Wiki
    Clash of Clans | Level: lost count at 200 | #Y0VJUJG

Centennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    We ban the accounts as soon as they post on the forums but we can't stop them from creating new accounts, nor can we stop them from changing their IP address. It's just a constant game of cat and mouse.
    Just spoke with my IT guy in my company, asked him if we have the same problem on our sites and corporate public email addresses. He started laughing and said exactly the same: Cat & Mouse.

Agree with Kat here as well, it's a minor nuisance, and adding a cool-down will deter many people from signing up and posting. I remember in my case, my first posting was not because I thought about something for 24 hours, but wanted to reply to something existing. If that would've taken 24 hours after sign-up I likely wouldn't be here.

Pro Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Kat View Post
    Sometimes proposed solutions are much worse then the actual problem and this is one of them.

If you add such a cooldown then keep in mind that this would also be the case for genuine people who want to sign up to the forums and take part in discussions. Often when they first sign up their post has a sense of urgency. Whether it’s a problem or a discussion or an update they wish to talk about etc.

A lot of people would lose interest when they find such a cooldown. And it’s just more important that people can actually post immediately then the problem of the spam bots.
    Come one cool down are relative common feature at least in German speaking forums the other would be verification mails.

Honestly I see no game related comment as urgent that it could not wait a day, and the positive side effect would be that you also reduce the rant threads from fresh spam members.

But anyhow its the time waisted by SC members and moderators to clean up the mess a few times every day and not mine.

Banned
    Some other forums don't let new members create threads
    It's actually worse

They make a lot of spam comments on threads, and THEN create a spam thread

These forums actually handle it pretty well it seems to me