Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: So much spammers/bots in this forum?

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #21
    Quote Originally Posted by zellnera View Post
    Come one cool down are relative common feature at least in German speaking forums the other would be verification mails.
    We do require verification emails before new members can post.

I have never come across a similar type of forum with a cooldown before first post, and {speaking as one of those who has to deal with the spam), it would be much worse than the problem.

Honestly I see no game related comment as urgent that it could not wait a day, and the positive side effect would be that you also reduce the rant threads from fresh spam members.
    People when first posting usually either have a urgent issue they want help with, or they are responding to something written by another member.

Neither of those work well if you have to wait 24h.

But anyhow its the time waisted by SC members and moderators to clean up the mess a few times every day and not mine.
    Indeed. And if we thought there was a better way, believe me, we would be implementing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grill View Post
    But when something like an update is to be expected all stupid breaks loose and it just becomes an idiot storm of catastrophic proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Maverick View Post
    Any more balance to th10 will make th10 broken...
    My stats (main account)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilISuppose View Post
    Some other forums don't let new members create threads
    It's actually worse

They make a lot of spam comments on threads, and THEN create a spam thread

These forums actually handle it pretty well it seems to me
    Agree, they are doing everything they can. Spammers cause massive problems for a forum. They diagrammatically increase the cost.

I own this exact same software, it's the best forum software there is. There all kinds of things built in to reduce spam. It is impossible to keep it out. No matter what you do, the spammers will keep spamming. Why? because they make boatloads of money. They make thousands of dollars.

The filters are shared across the internet. It will recognize keywords and block those, It will recognize the IP. But see, as Darian said, they change the IP and blocking by IP is a bad thing to do. Many places have shared IP addresses. My ip is shared with thousands of people. We don't all get an independent IP.

The spammers have macros that change the words so they are never exactly the same. Trying to stop spam without shutting down posting is extremely difficult. We never see most of it. Those times when the forum gets slow? That usually caused by spammer hitting the server so hard that it can't handle all the traffic. That's why they dramatically increase the cost. That means a more robust server which isn't cheap.

Also, the bots auto verify the emails too.
    Last edited by StormHeart; July 5th, 2019 at 12:34 PM.

Signature Banner from ClashofHolmes
    Stormy Knights Leader
    Join Stormy Knights
    Join us on Discord
    Player Tag: ​#20RRP9UQ8
    My post is opinion unless I specifically state it's a fact.

Thanks mods for keeping this forum clean.
    Actually funny enough, at the time I post this reply, the theead has been moved to FT where there is 14 spam bot posts

Another area, harder to control as there is no ‘report’ function is again the groups: there also a few groups exist from spam bots.
    They keep getting created, I keep pm’ing some mods: could be nice to have a place to report these groups...
    (groups have no report if there is no posts associated)

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by PaluEF View Post
    Thanks mods for keeping this forum clean.
    Actually funny enough, at the time I post this reply, the theead has been moved to FT where there is 14 spam bot posts

Another area, harder to control as there is no ‘report’ function is again the groups: there also a few groups exist from spam bots.
    They keep getting created, I keep pm’ing some mods: could be nice to have a place to report these groups...
    (groups have no report if there is no posts associated)
    I routinely check the groups at least once a day, ban the spammers, and delete the groups. New ones appear regularly, though; so do I!

Hay Day level 174 (main farm) - I have several others
    Boom Beach experience level 51

Quote Originally Posted by Cowslips View Post
    I routinely check the groups at least once a day, ban the spammers, and delete the groups. New ones appear regularly, though; so do I!
    Ok, I’ll pm you when I see that you skipped that daily visit
    Always a struggle for me until I catch one of y’all.

Could it be handled via a group (mine for example), where I report of my own posts which contains links to eventual spam groups?

Just a friendly reminder to check groups.. 3 to ‘clean up’ currently.