Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Deliberately losing to maintain cwl teir against "fair play aspect"?

Quote Originally Posted by LBJ1958 View Post
    we have tried to drop 5 times but end up in 5th place as the 6th and 7th place in every single war have gone to clans that dont bother to attack. SO... we are being killed and are trapped. I guess we dont attack either and tie at zero stars like all the other wars. i am not sure what will happen then
    fair enough. here's what you do

make a new clan with a th3 as leader. next cwl move all your cwl accounts to that clan. it will be level one, sure, but you can jump the main clan to donate, etc. just go to new clan for your one cwl attack per day

this new clan will be seeded by weight of top 15 for its first cwl, placing you in a league tier you should feel comfortable

main clan, put 15 accounts in cwl and forget about it for the week. don't fill clan castles, don't attack. put in 15 th6's (or lower) if you got em and give every opponent a free 55 stars (45 for bases, 10 for winning)

between cwl's, your 2nd clan will just have the th3 holding it open. every cwl, your war bases do cwl attacks there. your main clan zeroes out

eventually, your new cwl clan and main clan will be in the same tier. then you can just stick with your main clan for cwls again

problem solved without upsetting the apple cart
    Last edited by HonoraryGoblin; July 5th, 2019 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wachichi View Post
    This is a question I have been asking myself. I am pretty sure its not against the rules, (and in the new system it is not beneficial for medals) to deliberately not go up a teir in cwl. I was thinking that it is against the fair play aspects of the game. As an example a team is playing with 30 th12 in crystal league. They 3* most of the top 15 bases then get exactly enough stars to win (due to defending the enemy th10 and th9 successfully) and use the rest as loot attacks. They repeat this process through out the league winning only just enough wars to be second place. The first 5-6 teams suffer and the last one or two teams they face gets get a big advantage of +10 for the win. I was curious about the community thoughts and experiences with this happening. Thanks.
    This is funny because I'm in this predicament this CWL.

I went in to this CWL expecting we would be facing alot of large rosters or at least larger than last time and we lost a couple TH12's since last CWL. So after debating if fighting in a lower league might be better we just did the same as last CWL, even a few buddies from another clan joined in to get a couple medals with some trash bases expecting to come last.

Turns out we have about the strongest roster in our group and some 40 bases will end up getting max stars, plus can win all 7 wars and be promoted to Masters 3.

But the question is, do I really want to be promoted to Masters 3? We could win all 7 wars but try to lose a bit on stars so we don't come first so that it does not hurt our bottom end.....

Anyways, I wouldn't really call it "not fair play" for a clan to let themselves not be promoted, they may feel they are better suited for their current league and the clan that moves up might be more stoked about it.
    Last edited by MajorJohnson; July 5th, 2019 at 09:49 AM.
    Engineered for success---Engineered to win---Winning is life---Tiger Blood

Supercell enforcing fair play? Let's stop Self-Match Clans https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...left-unchecked

Right now, the biggest trouble with being promoted, even though it will get you more base stars, is you will get less bonuses. if the disparity between two adjacent tiers is large enough you could be stuck in a situation where if you promote you win 0/1 war, but if you stay where you are you win 6/7.

I.e. if you're in this situation in SOME (not all) cases it can be better for your overall medal situation to stay in a lower league. it is even better if you can manage to win 6/7 wars but finish 3rd.

i really think they should just completely do away with bonus medals entirely and just divvy them up into the tier base.
    Last edited by Thegreatpuma; July 11th, 2019 at 01:05 PM.

Forum Elder
    There is only so much SC can do, without negatively impacting on the basic concept.
    If they introduced compulsory tier changes thru min/max weight, then it erodes the process, bit by bit.
    Next week, someone brings in the next gripe.

They adjusted the rewards, so any clan that wishes to stay artificially low does so at their own cost.
    Nothing you can do to force them, nor should you be able to.
    It is personal/clan choice.

As for a clans own predicament, if finding themselves severely outmatched to the point of neither fun nor gain, then take others advice.
    Do whatever is required to get out of there.
    If you are trying to tank, but also farm along the way, then its your own fault if you fail in your primary objective.
    To once again quote Viking Chiefs wise words.. "Change what you can change, or wait for SC to change it for you" unquote.
    Choice is yours.

My personal opinion on this (personal to me, not related to terms of service) is there is a good way and a bad way to do this. The good way is to let everyone on your clan take part and go with a weaker roster than you could if you only played your top 15. If you even it out so it has relatively the same strength each of the 7 wars, but not strong enough to get promoted, you have done absolutely nothing wrong. On the other hand, intentionally throwing one war at the end (or the beginning) in a big way to not get promoted is not good sportsmanship. That type of tanking negatively impacts the competition for the others in the group. The first way doesn’t negatively impact any other clan. It only hurts the clan that is trying not to get promoted (less medals).
    Contact SC here. Click here to see how trophies are calculated. I'm still thinking starting the "new" legends at Legends2 at 5500 and having Legends3 be for 5000-5499 would be good (with season resets to 5000 and 5500 depending on your trophies at season end) but overall I LOVE the Legends change. Thanks SC.

Forum Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 2222 View Post
    My personal opinion on this (personal to me, not related to terms of service) is there is a good way and a bad way to do this. The good way is to let everyone on your clan take part and go with a weaker roster than you could if you only played your top 15. If you even it out so it has relatively the same strength each of the 7 wars, but not strong enough to get promoted, you have done absolutely nothing wrong. On the other hand, intentionally throwing one war at the end (or the beginning) in a big way to not get promoted is not good sportsmanship. That type of tanking negatively impacts the competition for the others in the group. The first way doesn’t negatively impact any other clan. It only hurts the clan that is trying not to get promoted (less medals).
    Although I agree with you and my clan does the same as you describe by not trying to lose any specific war, I believe many others choose to lose only a specific war. I think they would take the less sportsmanlike option because of the paradigm shift from a mindset of winning as many wars as possible in regular wars vs what they would consider as a more mediocre performance by averaging their loss over 7 battles in CWL. I am not sure there is much that can be done to change the mindset so I expect we will see it for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by 2222 View Post
    If it would be better for a clan not to get promoted, then many clans might do that because the way CWL is setup leans them into that position.

Putting a weak roster in, or not attacking/throwing a war are about the same thing but it really comes down to the clan. Why harp on a clan for not moving up if it doesn't suit their needs? Maybe the other clan that moves up instead of them are happy to get the promotion and doesn't really matter to anyone else.
    Last edited by MajorJohnson; July 11th, 2019 at 07:40 PM.
    Engineered for success---Engineered to win---Winning is life---Tiger Blood

Supercell enforcing fair play? Let's stop Self-Match Clans https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...left-unchecked

Pro Member
    I know Clans do but it’s not something I agree with or would do myself.

Forum Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorJohnson View Post
    If it would be better for a clan not to get promoted, then many clans might do that because the way CWL is setup leans them into that position.

Putting a weak roster in, or not attacking/throwing a war are about the same thing but it really comes down to the clan. Why harp on a clan for not moving up if it doesn't suit their needs? Maybe the other clan that moves up instead of them are happy to get the promotion and doesn't really matter to anyone else.
    From the tanking clan’s perspective the outcome is the same whether you go with a mixed weaker roster or just drop one war. From the other seven clan’s perspective it can make a great difference which option you choose. Which war you decide to tank can propel a clan that otherwise may have naturally finished third into first place. Running a weaker roster all season long gives all seven opponents a level playing field. Whether your clan doesnt want to get promoted isnt the issue at all, feel free to finish mid-field if you like, just dont do it in a way that mucks with other clans experience. In my opinion, if you know the two options are there and you willfully choose to tank just one war instead of running a consistently weaker roster, I wouldn’t blame any of the seven clans for viewing the methodology as troll-like.
    Last edited by Tosti111; July 11th, 2019 at 08:45 PM.

We do our best and try to get all of our clanmates up to 8 stars for full rewards. For us, Crystal 1 gives us a lot of wins and is more fun of course, but masters is brutal for us. We salvaged one win and still could not get demoted... 7th place just stopped doing attacks.

we are likely looking at the same next season. Our 5 seasons in masters has garnered us 6 wins total, while our 5 seasons in crystal have garnered us 26 wins. Feels like the jump is too much for us

i think if we saw an opportunity to stop attacking and deliberately drop, we would have taken it, we just are not very good at losing on purpose
    Last edited by WussyPuss; July 11th, 2019 at 10:17 PM.
    Farm 140
    CoC TH11 BhB9 AQ 50 BK 50 GW 20
    established level 16 clan seeking willing warriors, donators and clan games enthusiasts

Need a Siege Machine/Donate a Siege Machine...