Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I'm not enjoying the Legends League rework

Fresh Spawn

Unhappy Why I'm not enjoying the Legends League rework

tl;dr; The new Legends League update is more stressful and less enjoyable for those end-game players who are not super high-skilled and competitive, and who just want to play for fun. /tl;dr;

So, I'm an end-game player. Almost max TH12 (just walls and some of the most recent new levels to complete). I'd class myself as an 'average' player: I have some skill; on a base appropriate to my ability I'm usually averaging 2-star 70-80%; on more challenging bases I often struggle to get the TH; I rarely manage a 3-star attack; I sometimes (actually far too often ) make stupid mistakes that cause me to fail.

I pushed up to Legends League when I reached high TH12 as a way to keep the game interesting when there wasn't a need to farm in the lower leagues any more. Yes, the clouds were somewhat annoying, but I was able to live with them. My strategy was very much one of using the risk/reward model:

• If I came across a base where lots of trophies were available for a win then I'd risk it all and go for 3-star/high 2-star. If I failed and lost it wouldn't be too many trophies wasted
    • If I came across a base where I though I could reliably get the TH then I'd aim for a solid 2-star attack, occasionally getting the 3
    • If I came across a hard base where I knew the TH would be tough to get then I'd adopt a safer strategy and make sure I secured the 50% 1-star, with the chance that I might get the TH from time-to-time if things went better than expected

This strategy worked great. On an average day I would usually manage to break even on trophies gained versus those lost to defences. On a better day I would often be able to gain a few trophies and climb up the league a bit. During the season I could usually manage to reach the 5500-5700 range. I'm never going to be challenging the best in the world, so this felt a happy place to be.

In particular, the main advantage of this approach was that the game wasn't in any way stressful and it was enjoyable to play. I knew I could slowly work my way up the league and if I encountered an opponent that was too hard for me then I could just go for the easy guaranteed 1-star. Only very rarely would I find myself getting frustrated usually when I'd made a stupid mistake on an attack!

Since the Project Blue Skies update however, I am now finding the game so frustrating and stressful. Each time my base defends it's getting hit for on average about 17-22 trophies (I'm getting a few successful defences, but at the same time a few people hitting me for a high % - so it evens out). This means that in order to even hold my trophy position I pretty much have to at least 2-star almost every one of my attacks.

Each attack is therefore much higher stress than it used to be. There's no option to go easy on a base that I think I'll struggle against. Every attack has to be a full-on, high focus, high risk. If I attack even reasonably well, but either fail to get the TH or get the TH but fail to make 50% then I end up loosing trophies over the day. Even just scraping a 50-60% 2-star still often results in a small net trophy loss. Bases that are too hard for my level of skill are more often resulting in a 0-star loss as I have to push for the TH even though I have little change of managing it. I keep coming away from attacks cross and frustrated that my skill is inadequate. I've lost all pleasure in the game. It's gone from fun and enjoyable with occasional exciting moments to a stress inducing, painful experience.

I know people are going to say the solution is that I shouldn't be in Legend League and should drop down to a lower league where my skill level is more appropriate. However, my skill was sufficient to do reasonably well in Legends League before the update and I'm fairly certain I haven't gotten worse. As an almost max TH12, with no need to farm, I was finding the game getting very stale in the lower leagues, hence why I pushed to Legend.

Therefore, if I drop down leagues to just farm easier bases then I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting bored with the game and stop playing. However, if I stay in Legends then I'm just going to stay stressed and frustrated that I can't progress. My life is stressful enough with family and work: I want gaming to be a way to unwind and relax, while still having a bit of a challenge. For me this update has broken my enjoyment of the game and left me feeling that there is no place where I can find the enjoyment that I used to get from the old Legend League structure.

Sadly I don't know what the solution to this would be without returning to the cloud situation. I'd love to increase my skill to the point where I'm able to compete successfully in Legends, I just don't really have the time or ability to make this a realistic goal. I just feel that SuperCell should be aware of how myself (and surely other people) will be feeling about this change and the way the risk/reward model no longer works effectively. The Legends League update is great for the more highly skilled and competitive players, but to me it feels like a punishment for the more casual end-game player who just wants a bit of a challenge but with fun and enjoyment from their gaming experience.

Any suggestions how I can overcome this, improve my skill level and start enjoying the game again would be most welcome. After 5 years of playing this game I would be sad to give it up through either boredom or frustration.

Skip... Im pretty sure, as the season progresses you will find it ok sitting in lower legends. I get the impression that as the season goes on the hardcore attackers will move up and be matched against each other... in theory it should be ok to remain in lower legends without having to be a 3 star super hero...
    For example there will be a lot in lower legends that dont get all 8 attacks in.. and you are also less likely to get hit for 8 defences...
    Id just keep going and see how it pans out... still very early days..

Forum Veteran
    Your experience is a little different than mine. I've been sitting in legends since day 2 or so of the update, and since my heroes are upgrading I've been mostly only getting 1 star attacks... and I'm still in legends.

You might enjoy it more if you don't stress so much about the 2 star, and just focus on not losing any attacks. Get the one, then see if you can get the second star (base dependent of course), and get lots of loot for your walls.

Quote Originally Posted by littledoctor View Post
    Your experience is a little different than mine. I've been sitting in legends since day 2 or so of the update, and since my heroes are upgrading I've been mostly only getting 1 star attacks... and I'm still in legends.

You might enjoy it more if you don't stress so much about the 2 star, and just focus on not losing any attacks. Get the one, then see if you can get the second star (base dependent of course), and get lots of loot for your walls.
    Yes I'm also in this boat. Just about all my attacks end at 55% with only a queen and I'm sti floating around 5100

A lot of loot for minimal effort and time is my kind of game

Hi Skip,

Firstly, a well written and thought out post, so +1 on this.

It's early days with OBS, but I'm seeing some changes. Firstly, a lot more bases seem to be the anti-2 star layout (town hall in the centre) which makes the 2 stars a lot more difficult. I'd suggest you start looking to use some different armies that are better suited to this type of layout.
    Personally, I'm finding QueenWalk into Pekkas, Bowlers and Bats is very successful on most bases. I've added in a few Valks and a jump spell to go for the core when needed.
    I've had a few 1 stars, a few 3 stars, but mostly decent % 2 star raids.

May also be worth looking at changing your base design. Have some anti 2 and anti-3 layouts, switch between them, and see what gives up the least trophies for you also.

Good luck!

Forum Veteran
    I, too, am playing with no heroes and no expectations. The old system wasn’t a measure of your individual skill compared to others playing, it was more akin to the days of th sniping when nexting and staying on line the most won. When a th9 can get to 5600 or so cups in the old system, what did 5700 cups as a 12 even signify? Not much. Will be a much better gauge of one’s own personal skill set now and we’ll even see our own improvement over time.

TH12...level 238...64/65/40...gg 2 bil...ee 2 bil...hh 32 mil...atb 6032

Centennial Club
    I'm still trying to get out of LL. Others must be doing the same as they only snipped my storages and took 3-4 cups. Didn't manage to drop below 4900 in one day after I was hit 5 times. After a couple of defenses on the second day I am finally below 4900. I still have a blank shield! Never in over 5 years of play have I carried a blank shield for 2 days! But I never want a Legend shield again. Way to restrictive to play. I want flexibility in play, not the rigid format of Legend.

I have about a dozen defense upgrades left, a few troop upgrades, and most of the blue walls to get to the new max. Heros 60, 64, 31.

Quote Originally Posted by skipoles View Post
    tl;dr; The new Legends League update is more stressful and less enjoyable for those end-game players who are not super high-skilled and competitive, and who just want to play for fun. /tl;dr;

So, I'm an end-game player. Almost max TH12 (just walls and some of the most recent new levels to complete). I'd class myself as an 'average' player: I have some skill; on a base appropriate to my ability I'm usually averaging 2-star 70-80%; on more challenging bases I often struggle to get the TH; I rarely manage a 3-star attack; I sometimes (actually far too often ) make stupid mistakes that cause me to fail.

I pushed up to Legends League when I reached high TH12 as a way to keep the game interesting when there wasn't a need to farm in the lower leagues any more. Yes, the clouds were somewhat annoying, but I was able to live with them. My strategy was very much one of using the risk/reward model:

• If I came across a base where lots of trophies were available for a win then I'd risk it all and go for 3-star/high 2-star. If I failed and lost it wouldn't be too many trophies wasted
    • If I came across a base where I though I could reliably get the TH then I'd aim for a solid 2-star attack, occasionally getting the 3
    • If I came across a hard base where I knew the TH would be tough to get then I'd adopt a safer strategy and make sure I secured the 50% 1-star, with the chance that I might get the TH from time-to-time if things went better than expected

This strategy worked great. On an average day I would usually manage to break even on trophies gained versus those lost to defences. On a better day I would often be able to gain a few trophies and climb up the league a bit. During the season I could usually manage to reach the 5500-5700 range. I'm never going to be challenging the best in the world, so this felt a happy place to be.

In particular, the main advantage of this approach was that the game wasn't in any way stressful and it was enjoyable to play. I knew I could slowly work my way up the league and if I encountered an opponent that was too hard for me then I could just go for the easy guaranteed 1-star. Only very rarely would I find myself getting frustrated usually when I'd made a stupid mistake on an attack!

Since the Project Blue Skies update however, I am now finding the game so frustrating and stressful. Each time my base defends it's getting hit for on average about 17-22 trophies (I'm getting a few successful defences, but at the same time a few people hitting me for a high % - so it evens out). This means that in order to even hold my trophy position I pretty much have to at least 2-star almost every one of my attacks.

Each attack is therefore much higher stress than it used to be. There's no option to go easy on a base that I think I'll struggle against. Every attack has to be a full-on, high focus, high risk. If I attack even reasonably well, but either fail to get the TH or get the TH but fail to make 50% then I end up loosing trophies over the day. Even just scraping a 50-60% 2-star still often results in a small net trophy loss. Bases that are too hard for my level of skill are more often resulting in a 0-star loss as I have to push for the TH even though I have little change of managing it. I keep coming away from attacks cross and frustrated that my skill is inadequate. I've lost all pleasure in the game. It's gone from fun and enjoyable with occasional exciting moments to a stress inducing, painful experience.

I know people are going to say the solution is that I shouldn't be in Legend League and should drop down to a lower league where my skill level is more appropriate. However, my skill was sufficient to do reasonably well in Legends League before the update and I'm fairly certain I haven't gotten worse. As an almost max TH12, with no need to farm, I was finding the game getting very stale in the lower leagues, hence why I pushed to Legend.

Therefore, if I drop down leagues to just farm easier bases then I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting bored with the game and stop playing. However, if I stay in Legends then I'm just going to stay stressed and frustrated that I can't progress. My life is stressful enough with family and work: I want gaming to be a way to unwind and relax, while still having a bit of a challenge. For me this update has broken my enjoyment of the game and left me feeling that there is no place where I can find the enjoyment that I used to get from the old Legend League structure.

Sadly I don't know what the solution to this would be without returning to the cloud situation. I'd love to increase my skill to the point where I'm able to compete successfully in Legends, I just don't really have the time or ability to make this a realistic goal. I just feel that SuperCell should be aware of how myself (and surely other people) will be feeling about this change and the way the risk/reward model no longer works effectively. The Legends League update is great for the more highly skilled and competitive players, but to me it feels like a punishment for the more casual end-game player who just wants a bit of a challenge but with fun and enjoyment from their gaming experience.

Any suggestions how I can overcome this, improve my skill level and start enjoying the game again would be most welcome. After 5 years of playing this game I would be sad to give it up through either boredom or frustration.
    Maybe u should try out for the olympics and ask them to make it easier for you too.

There are a lot of resources to get better at attacking. Theres the ingame practice mode. Watch youtube, do friendly challenges. Ask clanmates for advice.

Centennial Club
    I'd advise you to just change your base to one of those popular internet bases that everyone knows but a huge portion of players have no clue how to attack.
    I'm using one of those and so far from 10 defenses the highest someone managed was 60% 2*, with more than half of the attacks being 0* and 1*. Quite ridiculous tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by GameTheory View Post
    Maybe u should try out for the olympics and ask them to make it easier for you too.
    Uncalled for, and part of why many people feel the forum as being toxic.

Having said that, Legend League has changed, and we all have to cope with that. Some find it hard to get 8 attacks in, others want way more attacks,

You particular issue is that you feel you have not enough skill. Well I am in the same boat, averaging at 20 cups per attack. Yet I think I should have no issue keeping in Legend League, though I will not enter the top of course.

There are 3 things important (that I can think of):
    - Have a base that defends well. Bases that work well in CWL should work well here, no town hall outside bases.
    - Find a generic army that suite you well. Spammy attacks like some bowitch variation, or electro dragons, are the easiest to get a mediocre 2 star with.
    - Train yourself. Through Friendly Challenges, but also through the 8 attacks per day.