Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PEKKA Glide BH9 Attack Strategy

Post PEKKA Glide BH9 Attack Strategy

All - I searched high and low to come up with the perfect attack strategy pairing two troops together with one being the Hog Glider and just nothing worked. Well, I am pleased to say that the guys over at Creative Clash found the perfect mate for the Hog Glider -> the Super PEKKA.

The Super PEKKA gets a massive boost to her HP at L17 and L18, making her probably the best tank to ever hit the game of Clash. She packs quite the wallop against most base layouts to boot. Couple this with the Hog Glider’s ability to swoop in and stun even the staunchest of defenses and you have a match made in heaven.

The way this strategy works is pretty straightforward - you bake 4 camps of Hog Gliders and 2 Super PEKKAs. (It can also be run with a 3x3 configuration as well.) The Super PEKKA, along with the Battle Machine, have the job of clearing the periphery to create a funnel, breaking into the base, and tanking for the Hog Gliders. In a perfectly executed PEKKA Glide attack, the Super PEKKA will typically take the brunt of defensive fire. The Super PEKKAs and Battle Machine will also work their magic on heavy duty defenses like the Crushers, MegaTesla, Giant Cannon, and Roaster.

Standard deployment is to open, or use, at least one and preferably two nearby paths of ingress. With diamond shape bases, that usually means either side of the apex of the base and with bracket bases, you’ll often come from the two openings/corners or open two holes on one of the longer sides. Although this may seem counterintuitive, you do not necessarily go straight for the Builder Hall. In fact, the Builder Hall will often be one of the last buildings standing in this attack!

Hog Gliders are targeted at key defenses, especially the Crushers. The objective is to time deployment such that the Hog Gliders stun the Crusher just as the Super PEKKAs and/or Battle Machine are about to get to it. You’ll often want to hold back on one or two Hog Gliders as double insurance against that second Crusher.

As the troops move into the base, they will annihilate the strong core design that most of us use in our layouts. The biggest threats to the strat are the Crushers and Guard Post troops for the Hog Gliders, and the Mega Tesla for the Battle Machine.

Some folks are already coming up with anti-Hog layouts, but until bases are maxed out, this strat is going to work well. Eventually, I think we’ll see the Hog Glider used more often in kitchen sink attacks at the top of the trophy rankings but, for now, this attack works extremely effectively. This may sound like it is OP but it’s not so much that it is OP as much as base maturity is low, designs do not account for it yet, and the Super PEKKA has been significantly improved.

Each attack will run 1:30-1:45 on average, although if things go sideways you may end up with the Battle Machine left all by his lonesome at the end of the attack and that puts him up against the timer. Remember: one of the last buildings standing will usually be the Builder Hall, so that makes this a little risky if things go awry. I’ve had plenty of high-percentage 1-star results as I learned this strategy. Of all the bases I’ve hit with this strat, I have to say the bracket base is probably the most vulnerable to it but it works well against most layouts.

The first video I put together for this strategy has several replays, mostly of the 4x2 configuration but the very last one was a defense one of the guys took that ran it 3x3. There’s even a replay in there by yours truly! Enjoy…!

Last edited by Noctaire; June 21st, 2019 at 08:00 AM.
    Clan/Task Force: Divergent Void (#P8CGRG0C / #8GG02YRP)
    Noc's Clash Journal
    Gaming with Noc (Videos)
    Chance favors the prepared mind; quit yer whingein' and find a solution.

Centennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctaire View Post
    but the very last one was a defense one of the guys took that ran it 3x3. There’s even a replay in there by yours truly! Enjoy…!

I almost wish I hadn't shared that defence with you
    Good to have you over though.

Millennial Club
    Interesting looking attack. I'll have to check it out after upgrading my barracks while using a power potion (glad I stockpiled extra when they allowed it, I was specifically planning for BH9).

Im using this strat. It is amazing

Forum Champion
    Looks neat, but a lot of these attacks are maxed BH9 army vs mostly BH8 defense.
    IGN: Pranav | Clan: Legendary Kings [#8VYVC88R] | I am the man with no avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyy
    Who took the Ayy username? i want it now
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindHaze
    I think Ayy took it.

My Journey + More

I'm pretty sure this wasn't cooked up originally by Creative Clash. I've seen some Chinese clans doing this for over a week at 4800+ trophies. The general idea is that getting to higher trophy ranges virtually requires max air defenses; nearly every attack between about 4000-4700 is dropminions. Versus bases with weaker ground defense, this attack is effective.

That said, I consider it a pretty lame method of attack. Against a base that has been forced to guard against dropminions, this will often get 3 stars.
    Last edited by Beachdude67; August 10th, 2019 at 04:29 AM.

Centennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachdude67 View Post
    I'm pretty sure this wasn't cooked up originally by Creative Clash. I've seen some Chinese clans doing this for over a week at 4800+ trophies. The general idea is that getting to higher trophy ranges virtually requires max air defenses; nearly every attack between about 4000-4700 is dropminions. Versus bases with weaker ground defense, this attack is effective.

That said, I consider it a pretty lame method of attack. Against a base that has been forced to guard against dropminions, this will often get 3 stars.
    Maybe check the dates... This was posted a couple months ago... And the strat was going a couple days before the video was even made... Hog spam isn't a very pleasant strat, but harsh reality is that it's effective at high levels / max bases... Don't need any pekkas, can just use a camp of minions or barbs with the rest being all hogs.... Fortunately not everyone uses it, because most decent players hate spam style strats

Quote Originally Posted by iHeron View Post
    Maybe check the dates... This was posted a couple months ago... And the strat was going a couple days before the video was even made... Hog spam isn't a very pleasant strat, but harsh reality is that it's effective at high levels / max bases... Don't need any pekkas, can just use a camp of minions or barbs with the rest being all hogs.... Fortunately not everyone uses it, because most decent players hate spam style strats
    So much judgement in one post. Hogs are the last unit unlocked and require 18 upgrades to max AFTER upgrading th and lab. They darn well better be worth it. And guess I'm not a decent player because I do best in the 4500 range just spamming drops and minions. If I try to get surgical,I usually outsmart myself.
    sig by dharmaraj in sig shop
    Clan: MN ICE #8UCRP8CL
    IGN: Piper139 #2PQQR9Q22

One infraction from a ban, and angry about this worthless update and no communication
    Quote Originally Posted by iHeron View Post
    most decent players just use whatever works, pretty sure they aren't going to care if they are spamming troops and beating you

Your brilliant new idea is already ruled out, here. Why CWL is straight after Season Pass ends, here.
    There's no matchmaking in CWL. Contact support, here, forum players can't always help.
    Current trader cycle. Before posting, are you just feeding the troll?

Ever notice how whenever there is an effective strategy it’s spam?

You can’t faceroll Hogs and get a 3-star. To use hogs effectively at BH9, you have to understand how they work - strengths and weaknesses - as well as how to properly deploy them. Once you get down the finer points of how they work, you next need to understand what bases they work well against - and the answer isn’t “all” either.

At lower levels of play, they simply dominate. Well, duh - whoda thunk it, the newest troop can destroy bases with weak defenses. Every new level of the game - even on the HV - we seem to get people who are shocked when the new troop, at max level, can decimate bases with weak defenses. L9 defenses are designed to deal adequate damage against L18 Hogs. A well designed base, L9 defense’s where it counts...Hogs often go down swingin’.

Then there’s the second well duh - a base designed to guard against one attack is weak against others. This has always been the case on the BB. If you are set up to defend against air, expect ground to take you down. In spite of the gimmicky (but fun) Glider attached to Hogs, they’re still really just a defense targeting, ground troop. If you are set up to defend against Minion Drops, you’re a bit weaker to Hogs...and PEKKAs...and Cannon Carts...and Raged Barbarians....

No base defends against everything - every base can be 3-starred, every base has a weakness. Defending against Hogs requires bringing Crushers behind other defenses so they cannot be easily targeted from the fringe; bringing traps/mines into the base and placing them alongside outward facing defenses; upgrading traps to accommodate Hog Rider troop space numbers; positioning HTs and the MT optimally; anticipating Hog deployment vectors.... In other words, understanding how Hog attacks work then positioning defenses in such a way as to countermand the most common deployments.

The meta has already begun adapting to these attacks and high level play sees less of them because of it. Even at higher levels, though, if a base can be effectively taken out with Hogs, they’ll get used. Or Minion Drops, if that’s better. Or OEKKA Carts. Or BART. Or PEKKA Barbs. Or....
    Last edited by Noctaire; August 11th, 2019 at 05:00 PM.
    Clan/Task Force: Divergent Void (#P8CGRG0C / #8GG02YRP)
    Noc's Clash Journal
    Gaming with Noc (Videos)
    Chance favors the prepared mind; quit yer whingein' and find a solution.