Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Smarter Regional Pricing

Smarter Regional Pricing

Gold Pass costs like 3 overpriced Starbucks coffees in Turkey. Please consider lowering the prices (like how Steam or Epic store does) instead of charging the equivalent of 5 bucks. It's honestly too much.

As far as I've heard, the different pricing in different countries is determined by the store selling the product, not Supercell. Therefore, please offer your suggestion directly to Google and Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPC View Post
    As far as I've heard, the different pricing in different countries is determined by the store selling the product, not Supercell. Therefore, please offer your suggestion directly to Google and Apple.
    Publishers have control over the pricing and have the final say. Stores just recommend a price point. And it would've been cheaper if they just went with Google's default conversion. Thanks for replying though!

Route 8, in the pokemon grass, next to a cyndaquil
    Quote Originally Posted by UBERCELL View Post
    Publishers have control over the pricing and have the final say. Stores just recommend a price point. And it would've been cheaper if they just went with Google's default conversion. Thanks for replying though!

No, supercell says that it is 5,5 euros here where i live. Someone else needs to pay maybe 5 bucks, Supercell doesn't have control on how much it is in your country. Maybe it is like 1000 yen in japan or something like that or even more, because currencies on the Exchange. Nor Supercell nor Google nor Apple, has to say something about it because it is due to the differences in the stock market

Just to repeat nor supercell nor google nor apple can do something about it

And to compare it with 3 starbucks coffee in Turkey is not an good example, the coffee price is everywhere different

- TH10 - BH8 - Level 127 - 2889 MV - 2892 BB
    BK:19- AQ:21 Normal troops - 7-7-7-7-5-6-7-4-5-6-2-1 Dark troops - 5-6-4-2-1-3-1
    BM:7 - 12-12-12-12-12-10-12-8-3-1
    Normal Spells: 7-6-5-2-1-1 Dark Spells: 2-2-2-1

Yes it is 5 U.S. dollars in the USA. Amd it will be the equivalent to that in every other country based on the current exchange rate. Now granted that amount is more valuable in some and less valuable in others. It must hold lesa value in your country if you think its too expensive. But they cannot program to the extent of creating a different value for each country. Also the bottom line is that the gold pass is a luxury. Not everyone can afford luxurys. If you cannot, then it isnt for you. Not being rude just stating a fact.

Supercell picks a pricing package from available tiers and then that price is calculated for the different regions by the stores themselves not Supercell.

Level 18
    - 6,103/18,500| Master I
    BloodyIrishman - TH12 [Level 205] - #2 in TH12 Hall of Fame
    Follow this link if you're interested in joining!

But they do use "default" conversions. For both Google Play and Apple Store the vendor vendor requirements are public information, any one can read them. For Google Play app providers, start here and feel free to drill down: https://support.google.com/googlepla...answer/1153481.

A provider has two choices. Either:

1) Define prices in one currency, and use the default method, for Google to adjust to local currencies via commercial monetary conversion rates. Or ....

2) Build a template of every country (ISO code driven) where your app is offered via Google, setting individual prices ler item per country. If that means is selected, then the vendor (not Google) is responsible for maintaining those prices as world markets fluctuate.

We do know that they use Option 1, and they set prices based upon USD. How do we know that? Over the years as players saw prices change based upon local currency valuations, the US prices stayed constant, and always in units of whole USD. They used the default, allowing Google to perform pricing and for them to absorb international currency fluctuation risk.

So I agree they could do it if they wanted to. Given the sheer number of countries they are distributed in, it would take them effort to maintain. But they did indeed use default pricing.
    Last edited by rowman; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rowman View Post
    We do know that they us Option 1, and they set prices based upon USD. How do we know that? Over the years as players saw prices change based upon local currency valuations, the US prices stayed constant, and always in units of whole USD. They used the default, allowing Google to perform pricing and for them to absorb international currency fluctuation risk.
    Now that's an informed comment I was hoping to see. Thank you so much for explaining! Let's hope Google and Apple? offers a better pricing template method that doesn't require too much work on developer side.
    Last edited by UBERCELL; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:00 PM.

Now that's an informed comment I was hoping to see. Thank you so much for explaining! Let's hope Google and Apple? offers a better pricing template method that doesn't require too much work on developer side.
    Although I live in the US, so I myself never see Supercell price fluctuations, I do have empathy for those whom are at the mercy of those currency fluctuations.

To me, the best solution for virtual products would be if there was an international relative cost table which Google and Apple could use. Such as "A cup of coffee within the country". Vendors then could set the price then to "3 cups of coffee". But unfortunately the internet is not there yet. It is still based on "brick and mortar products" and banking set valuation rates. That made sense in the "old world" model, where an item cost $XX to produce, and yes, you wanted that money back, plus a profit.

But in todays virtual product world, a "Sack of gems" for example cost no money to produce, 100% profit! Maybe one day a relative index will be published and maintained to address virtual products.

10.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #10
    They do go with Google's default conversion.

Supercell specify the price point they want in US$.

Google & Apple then convert that to local currencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grill View Post
    But when something like an update is to be expected all stupid breaks loose and it just becomes an idiot storm of catastrophic proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Maverick View Post
    Any more balance to th10 will make th10 broken...
    My stats (main account)