Thread: Loosing connection when phone switches between WiFi and data transfer

Loosing connection when phone switches between WiFi and data transfer

Hi there,
    As the new phones automaticly switch to WiFi when one is detected and to data transfer when WiFi is slow I find this problem quite annoying, however not essential to fix.
    The game is always loosing connection while phone is switching what can interrupt an important war attack.
    The easy solution is to have only one data source (WiFi or your own data) switched on while playing, however it is a bit annoying as having smart WiFi detection on can save users their data transfer.

Is this problem solvable or the need of constantly checking the connection does not allow to address it?

the problem is that your devices is disconnected from the internet for a very short time. clash needs internetconnection to work.

Quote Originally Posted by wotanwaton View Post
    the problem is that your devices is disconnected from the internet for a very short time. clash needs internetconnection to work.
    Thank you for the reply. I know that there is very short period of time without connection, the question was if supercell could change the implementation of connection checking to allow these very short periods without disconnecting. That would increase the quality of life for some users.
    Last edited by matiwertyl2; June 19th, 2019 at 01:22 PM.

I turned off smart switching on my Samsung S7 for exactly this reason. If you have an android device, you can probably turn this feature off on your phone.

When your phone changes from Wifi to cellular data, its IP address changes. From the perspective of the CoC servers, a completely new device is connecting to your account. Sure it's possible to design a communication protocol that could handle this type of switch, for example by maintaining some sort of secure session ID/key at the server, which the client would use when it reconnects from a different IP. then the session would resume. Not necessarily simple, but doable. There probably are, however, various ways that this could be exploited, which introduces more issues and more complexity. My guess is that the primary issue is that CoC was probably designed without this type of protocol, and it's not at all easy to pull the rug out from under a system already being used by millions of players, and completely replace the connection mechanism. It would be like removing the existing foundation of a high rise building to add a basement and install a new foundation. Impossible? No. Worth the risk & work? No.

JohnnyPC, that is the answer I was looking for. Haven't thought about IP problem which causes the additional complexity. It is fair enough not to risk.