Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Alternatie Idea for Legend League 8 attacks

A variable playing field would effectively force anyone who wants to play at the highest level of competition, to choose only the highest amount of attacks available.

There are already plenty of capable and interested individuals who want to compete at the highest level of competition that are struggling with an 8 attack per day regimen, even though they could make a committment to 56 attacks a week.

What alot of you seem to be missing is that the number 8 was set as a middle ground that both allows people with excessive free time and people with busy lives to compete at the highest level of competition. Sure people could choose more attacks on a day when they are not so busy, but unless they are choosing the most attacks possible every single day, they are effectively removing themselves from the trophy pushing competition. Make no mistake, the person who places 1st, will definitely be someone who has made 100% of the potential attacks possible. So yes a variable rate does effect competition at the highest level.

Furthermore for every time someone picks a 16 attack/defense attack, it would take 4 people choosing 4 attack/defense to get the ratio back to 1:1. So not only does this proposal destroy competition for people who are already struggling to make 8 attacks per day, it also has huge potential to cause clouds. This proposal has already been discussed and better proposals have already been made. I think its huge no on a variable attack/defense system.
    Last edited by MiddleC; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:07 PM.

8 daily attacks is a joke, that's not a solution

IGN: Carlos | Clan: City in the Sky (Co-Leader ) #L89QJOL |
    Town Hall: 12 | Level: 198 | KING: 57 | QUEEN: 60 | WARDEN: 30

Quote Originally Posted by JessVN View Post
    The update came out a few hours ago and i am already out of attacks today. and just short of being able to start 2 upgrades... so i am twiddling my thumbs and thinking

Why not let legend league players select how many attacks and defenses to sign up for that day
    I have a busy day at work: I will sign up for 4
    I have a lot of free time today I will sign up for 16.

Maybe 4 sizes to choose from? 4 8 12 16?

Also can we call legends 8 attacks our Spidery Friend?
    you said that it be in the size of 4 like 4 8 12 16 etc.
    so now it can be greater then 16 maybe like 16 20 24 28 and like this. than again clouding happens.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectThirteen View Post
    Sure? How about that exact situation but one player only has the time to attack 4 times/day. Now one finishes at 5150 and we'll say the other dropped to 4000-4100 (was defending twice as often as he attacked).
    If you only have time to attack 4 times per day, you probably shouldn't be at the elite level of the game. You might just about be able to stay in legends with that sort of level, but you certainly won't be advancing very fare - and you shouldn't.

And if that is all the time you have, then you certainly wouldn't have been staying in legends before, and woulod seriously struggle even to get there.

The current system still rewards time played.
    It rewards those who can put in the time required for 8 attacks over those who can't. That should be almost everybody who actually belongs in Legends.

This is kinda a ridiculous argument against the idea of having more/less attacks, or a variable system.
    No it isn't. It is a very strong argument against it.

I think the variable system gets fuzzy as far as bringing back clouds, but I could be wrong.
    If you had actually found out how the new legends works, you would know you were wrong. There is no searching in the new system, so there cannot be any clouds. You are allocated your 8 bases at the start of the day, and can then attack them at any time you choose, with NO waiting.

Having a variable number of attacks wouldn't change that.

The argument against a variable number, even if the highest were "only" 16 is that it changes it from a system where most people who can reach legends at all can get in all the required attacks to one where a much smaller proportion can do so.

8 [may be slightly too low - or too high. Only time will tell on that, and SC will be monitoring, and will make changes as necessary. But it is unlikely IMO that they will introduce a variable number of attacks/defences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grill View Post
    But when something like an update is to be expected all stupid breaks loose and it just becomes an idiot storm of catastrophic proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Maverick View Post
    Any more balance to th10 will make th10 broken...
    My stats (main account)

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleC View Post
    Furthermore for every time someone picks a 16 attack/defense attack, it would take 4 people choosing 4 attack/defense to get the ratio back to 1:1. So not only does this proposal destroy competition for people who are already struggling to make 8 attacks per day, it also has huge potential to cause clouds. This proposal has already been discussed and better proposals have already been made. I think its huge no on a variable attack/defense system.
    That's what I was looking for. That's a really strong argument for not having a variable system.
    | Clan: BEST IN 'BOAG | Rank: Co-Leader | Current League: Legends |
    | Level: 172 | Townhall 12 | King: 50 | Queen: 60 | Warden: 20 |
    | Gold Grab: 2.00B | Elixir Escapade: 2.00B | Heroic Heist: 13.10m | Friends in Need 109.01k |

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #36
    If leveling the playing field was important to them, the number of attacks allowed/day would be low enough that almost everyone would complete all their attacks. Only time will tell if that's the case or if # of attacks allowed is adjusted so that becomes to the case.
    That is the main reason 8 attacks was chosen. It is expected that almost everybody who can reach legends at all will be able to complete 8 attacks. If it were many more, then you would start to be getting a fair proportion who couldn't. And if it were many fewer, it wouldn't be worthwhile.

If necessary, it will be adjusted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grill View Post
    But when something like an update is to be expected all stupid breaks loose and it just becomes an idiot storm of catastrophic proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Maverick View Post
    Any more balance to th10 will make th10 broken...
    My stats (main account)

Forum Veteran
    1. There wouldn't be any clouding issues, the player pool is large enough to account for that (it makes the parceling out of attacks and defenses more complex for the program doing it though).

2. This was intended to be a measure of skill. There's a reason every major sporting event in the world sets a participation limit. People don't just go out and shoot layups at a basketball game 3 hours after everyone else is done playing and get to count it toward that game's score. The "fastest man on earth" is the person who runs the 100 meter dash the fastest...not the person who runs the 100 meter dash the most times at a slightly faster-than-the-average-person speed.

It makes competitive sense to say "ok, you pick how many attacks and defenses you want from some options, and that's what you get for the entire season". That would be a logistical nightmare though, and isn't very promotion-friendly if SC wants to market their product. It makes no sense at all competitively to say "oh, you're really excellent and you've opted to do 10 attacks per day...and you're totally mediocre but you've opted to do 300 attacks per day...well we'll just say the mediocre person is better since on aggregate they got more".

There's a reason no major sporting event on earth just lets players/team pick how much they want to participate. Everyone with even a hint of logic understands you're no longer rewarding skill at that point (not to mention how unfriendly the marketing of that is).

Forum Veteran
    That's interesting, something I must've missed. I'll still stand-by the idea that trying to avoid a system that disproportionately rewards playtime isn't equivalent to leveling the playing field.

That's an interesting bit of game theory we have going on. Why do we not consider the variable option still a player choice? Not being sarcastic but I'd like to understand your line of reasoning.

The way I see it:
    SC: Gives set of options
    Player: Picks one

Therefore player had a choice and it was fair.

That's not to say I think the current system is unfair. Truthfully, I think it's fine/I'll have to see more before I pass any real judgement. I just am not sure this current proposal is unfair.
    Now that we have been given the final word that SC did indeed attempt to limit winning based on time spent, lets put that into the equation. lets take that +5 average net trophy part per day. Variable attack limits can either attenuate or amplify over time or in this case amplify over volume. Volume x average = Result. All your solution would do is create essentially two classes of legends players. Those who max at whatever max volume SC sets and those who dont/cant/wont and with a wide margin of nothing in between. SC in its attempt to NOT allow that classification to occur has set the max at 8. A reasonable number where everyone should/could compete relatively equally. they could just as easily set it to 4 but they are trying to find the sweet spot for everyone that should fit within most players capability. They could equally as easily have set it to 16 but I am sure they determined that was a bit too rich. Even in your solution, you would suggest an upper limit and quite honestly if there is any upper limit at all, it really boils down to what an acceptable limit is. That does not equate to a self determined limit, they are entirely different.

Again, e can debate whether 8 is too low or too high but the limit should be the same for everyone for fairness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddddddddddd View Post
    Mainpoint is i’m bored and i can’t attack
    There’s this place called “Outdoors”....😂

I’m there with ya, all attacks in including war hits, all before I left the house today. Usually my device would be clouding for another 12 hours today...

I for one am ecstatic for no more clouds and more Clash downtime...

Quote Originally Posted by zank44 View Post
    1) How many trophies do you have? 5200 is far different that 5700 which is far different than 6200.
    2) How many attacks were you making while searching the clouds? Figure on average per day and how long you'd usually spend searching for those bases.

For me at 5500 trophies yesterday I got lucky and found 7 bases. It took me most of my work day to find those bases (minus time spent in meetings). So looking at 7ish hours in the clouds. Most days for me I got less attacks than that. So the 8 attacks per day is an improvement and I get to take them when I want to/have time rather than hoping I find a base in x minutes. There's someone higher up in trophies than I in my clan and they were lucky to get 4 bases to attack even while searching all day. So this update effectively doubles their playing time while also reducing the amount of time needed in the game.
    I was at 5200 (good guess ) prior to the update. I have been in clouds for several months in titans but had not bother climbing to legends prior to this season despite being maxed except for walls
    I have 161 successful attacks on my profile from this season, not sure what the averages to daily

But you point is it is better than clouds. Yes I agree with you. But why limit how much better? A variable system with fixed reasonable options allows people to have busy days and less busy days, but is still fair because you still have to attack better than you are hit in order to climb

Someone else suggested a comparison to 1000 attacks a day, that is just ridiculous. I am suggested super-cell offer multiple fixed number options.