Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Builder Hall 9 Upgrade Guide

Forum Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by iHeron View Post
    Sorry Noc, I think you're a cool guy and very helpful for the clash community.

But I think the logic behind getting Otto so quickly doesn't really add up due to a couple factors :-

Even if we assume everyone is already max BH8, they still need to add another 5 levels to the BM in order to unlock... That's a lot of elixir / runes / hammers / books, which would all be better used for upgrading troops etc

Also with the standard daily loot rates, it's extremely rare that a 2nd builder would even be beneficial at all, the game has been designed with pacing for a single builder... Unless of course the new defences are much cheaper than historical norms.
    Assume that we will NOT have standard daily loot rates, but that we will have a Battle Fest for a week.. Would it be a good idea to be able to use two builders then?

/Affront
    TH12-63/64/35|BH9-16.16.16.18.16.17.18.16.18.18.5/30| Farm with US | full stats
    Recruiting

Centennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Affront View Post
    Assume that we will NOT have standard daily loot rates, but that we will have a Battle Fest for a week.. Would it be a good idea to be able to use two builders then?

/Affront
    Well if we have a Battle Fest for a week, the same thing applies, if you've got books etc, use them to complete the upgrades. If you don't have books, how are you going to get the BM to 30 anyway !?!

With all the hammers, runes, books I've saved or expecting in season challenges or clan games, as well as upgrade pack and battle fest, I've planned out my upgrades to max defences, 7 troops, BM all within 9 weeks. Otto doesn't even enter the equation, but from the first day or 2 I'll be strong against air and have a few troops max (with a few more over couple weeks).

Route 8, in the pokemon grass, next to a cyndaquil
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctaire View Post
    It’s time to start talking about how to run the upgrade to BH9! I’ve broken the upgrade guide and video up into 2 parts.

The introduction of OTTO - the second builder for the BB - and, more to the point, the unusual method of upgrade-by-progress means many players are in one of two positions. You’re either going to run the OTTO upgrade right away, or you’re going to wait a while and focus on the rest of the game.

OTTO requires 4 steps to upgrade:

• Complete all Gear-Ups on the Home Village (HV).
    • Upgrade Cannon Carts (CC) to L18.
    • Upgrade the MegaTesla to L9.
    • Upgrade the Battle Machine (BM) to L30.

Now…this is what will typically determine whether you’re in the OTTO First camp or postponing the OTTO upgrade. If you have not completed the Gear-Ups on your HV, maybe your Battle Machine is still L10 or your MegaTesla is still L5…maybe you haven’t even started your CC upgrading at all yet…then upgrading OTTO may not be the right first step in your BH9 upgrade plan. Completing the necessary upgrades of these particular items can be a very time consuming effort. The daily loot limit, cost, and levels can be overwhelming. Players who are not currently maxed BH8 or nearly so, should consider following a more standard upgrade path that includes dropping everything new, upgrading key troops, upgrading everything new, THEN circling back to work on OTTO.

If, however, you’re further along in the game, then upgrading OTTO right out the gate makes sense. This is the case even if you aren’t a big fan of Cannon Carts, which I get, especially considering I am predicting an air meta early on! OTTO will give you a second Builder on the BB and that will significantly improve your upgrade pace. Faster upgrades means increased competitiveness.

To get a solid jump on the upgrade, you’ll want to take advantage of Books, Runes, resource overflow (buy resources in the Shop), Hammers, and the level-up bonus pack. My current upgrade plan goes something like this…

1. Upgrade BH8 to BH9 using Gold and a BoB.
    2. Drop everything new using Gold.
    3. Upgrade Star Lab using Elixir and a BoB.
    4. Upgrade Cannon Carts using a combination of Elixir/BoF and 1 Hammer.
    5. Upgrade MegaTesla using a Hammer.
    6. Upgrade Battle Machine 3 levels using Elixir and 2 Runes of Builder Elixir (one in storage, the other in this month’s Gold Pass).
    7. Upgrade Battle Machine to L29 and L30 using Hammers of Heroes.

That will give me OTTO and from there, I run my upgrade schedule pretty much the same as I have in the past.

8. Upgrade Roaster (probably using a Hammer).
    9. Upgrade everything new to L8.
    10. Upgrade remaining key defenses to L9 (including Lava Launcher)

Next come secondary then tertiary defenses. My secondary defense tier includes FireCrackers, AirBombs, Hidden Teslas, Crushers, and Double Cannons. I plan on upgrading these in exactly this order, again, because I expect an air meta and want to be best capable of defending against it.

As always, Archer Towers, Cannons, and Guard Post (tertiary defenses) will all come at the end of the defensive upgrade roundup and mines/traps will be done in between everything else.

Storages will be able to hold 4.2M Gold/Elixir once the BH is upgraded to BH9. That is actually enough to upgrade a whole bunch of stuff, especially if you’re using overflowed resource storages and Hammers. You will not need to upgrade your Gold Storages until you start upgrading key defenses from the storages themselves. Elixir storages will need to be upgraded typically after your first regular troop upgrade.

I’ve put together my part 1 upgrade video and it is posted online for those who are interested. I go into a bit more detail and reasoning, focus in on upgrade costs and OTTO. At the time of posting this article, it is unlisted so consider it an exclusive. Part 2 will be the more general upgrade path and a discussion of troop upgrades, coming in a couple days.

Thnx Dude, will use it for sure!

I have two maxed BB accounts. On one, I will get OTTO as soon as I can (my account that is in the middle of maxing th12, and can thus use the extra builder). On the other, I’ll be just doing my beta minions, drop ships, babies, and hogs plus defenses.

But there is no way I’m using my books and hammers on the BB.
    \\\\\ TH12 - JAMESTOWN #28JUUQOPQ TH12 - MASTER MASON #PUQJR29V /////

Everyone is a little different on their upgrade path.

On OTTO...I want that second Builder as early as possible. I will run Books/Hammers/Runes early on but then I am down to the standard grind, and since I’ve been using medals on my HV the last couple months, it will not take long. The upgrades of buildings are expensive, but I also have traps, mines, and resource collectors to upgrade. Having the second builder work on those while the first is focused on the big stuff makes good sense to me.

At the same time, I see value in postponing OTTO to focus on other things instead and that is exactly what I will be doing in my second, maxed BH8 (KVN). That game will follow my usual upgrade path that I’ll discuss in the second video.

Keep in mind - I also recommend AGAINST pursuing OTTO early if your CCs/MT/BM are too low, you have not completed Gear Ups, and/or you do not have the magic items available for use on the BB (either by choice or quantity).

As to why ATs are in the tertiary tier and Crushers in the secondary...it’s a combination of DPS/HP and intimidation power.

The L8 AT’s stats are 70DPS and 1329HP. The L8 Crusher’s stats are 278DPS and 2660HP. At level 9 those move to 77/1395 and 306/2793, respectively. The increase for ATs is modest at best while the Crushers get a solid boost. The fact the AT targets both air and ground is not sufficient advantage to boost it over the Crushers or the Double Cannons as both will do far more damage to the prevailing ground meta and the boost to air defense found in the FCs (34/99/1064 going to 37/108/1117 and adding a 5th unit) is sufficient to get the ball rolling there.

Additionally, I’ve never heard anyone cursing ATs as they attacked, or making special plans to take out ATs. The Crusher is an intimidating defense, and understandably so - no single defense is better at wrecking a ground attack in a single firing.

Now, where to use your magic items...that is totally personal preference. The BB is my preferred game, and medals can really only be used on the HV other than the exorbitantly expensive Hammers which, even there, offer far greater savings in the HV than the BB. I prefer to use medals for HV related upgrades, usually resources since we have 5 Builders. I’ll be using some Hammers to get a jumpstart on the BB but it will be mostly Books and Runes I use. Once I have OTTO and exhaust the magic items I’ve saved specifically for the BB, I will be simply allowing the upgrades to run their course. This is another reason to unlock OTTO early for me - he keeps the pace up on BB upgrades and will allow the MB to fill in on the HV occasionally, when nothing else can be done on the BB.
    Last edited by Noctaire; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:12 PM.
    Clan/Task Force: Divergent Void (#P8CGRG0C / #8GG02YRP)
    Noc's Clash Journal
    Gaming with Noc (Videos)
    Chance favors the prepared mind; quit yer whingein' and find a solution.

I loved the guide, but ill max other things first rather than otto. Since i managed to stack a lot of Magic itens over the months, and im complete maxed th12 and bh8, ill try to max all defenses, 2 troops and BM asap, with magical itens (already have over 30 books of heroes, 20 buildings, 8 universal), hammers (im current with 2500 medals), gold pass rewards and the packages (maybe ill buy all, idk).

But the guide is really great.
    Last edited by lokoroxbr; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:05 PM.

Will the ds/mini meta be more powerful than the bds at Bh9? I will do either first but not sure what will be stronger.
    Dark Family Member (InTheDark, InTheLight, GettingDark, GettingLight & 伏羲再临) - Retired
    TH12 - 3.6k+ War Stars | Builder Hall 8 (Maxed) Retired until BH9

To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it. ― Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Moria1 View Post
    Will the ds/mini meta be more powerful than the bds at Bh9? I will do either first but not sure what will be stronger.
    Honestly...a mix will likely be the way to go. BH8 really first started the use of customized/kitchen sink attacks and those have gotten much stronger at BH9 with the additional BD unit and the addition of the Hog Glider. For general attackers, I think Minion Drops is stronger than all BDs But mixing the three may be even stronger yet. I’ll be testing strats the entire week that the update goes live; you just can’t predict in the test environment how well strats or base layouts will do, at least not as well as on the live game.
    Noc's Clash Journal
    Gaming with Noc (Videos)

Noc, thanks for the info. I’m holding off making any decisions until I see what value packs are offered. I am considering using some books and hammer some on the builder base though. I’m maxed in both villages so Otto has a little less allure and I may chase the meta. Would you consider adding a third guide/video on base design? I’m curious to see what the community thinks with the additional walls and defenses we get.

TBH, I am waiting on the release to post the base design video so I can share links to the bases using the new base deep linking feature. Tomorrow I will put together the part 2 upgrade video, then I will start working on the base layouts on release day and hopefully publish it that next day or maybe late that evening. Really just depends on when the update drops.
    Noc's Clash Journal
    Gaming with Noc (Videos)