Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Builder Hall 9 Upgrade Guide

Post Builder Hall 9 Upgrade Guide Part 1

It’s time to start talking about how to run the upgrade to BH9! I’ve broken the upgrade guide and video up into 2 parts.

BH9 Upgrade Guide Part 1

BH9 Upgrade Guide Part 2

The introduction of OTTO - the second builder for the BB - and, more to the point, the unusual method of upgrade-by-progress means many players are in one of two positions. You’re either going to run the OTTO upgrade right away, or you’re going to wait a while and focus on the rest of the game.

OTTO requires 4 steps to upgrade:

• Complete all Gear-Ups on the Home Village (HV).
    • Upgrade Cannon Carts (CC) to L18.
    • Upgrade the MegaTesla to L9.
    • Upgrade the Battle Machine (BM) to L30.

Now…this is what will typically determine whether you’re in the OTTO First camp or postponing the OTTO upgrade. If you have not completed the Gear-Ups on your HV, maybe your Battle Machine is still L10 or your MegaTesla is still L5…maybe you haven’t even started your CC upgrading at all yet…then upgrading OTTO may not be the right first step in your BH9 upgrade plan. Completing the necessary upgrades of these particular items can be a very time consuming effort. The daily loot limit, cost, and levels can be overwhelming. Players who are not currently maxed BH8 or nearly so, should consider following a more standard upgrade path that includes dropping everything new, upgrading key troops, upgrading everything new, THEN circling back to work on OTTO.

If, however, you’re further along in the game, then upgrading OTTO right out the gate makes sense. This is the case even if you aren’t a big fan of Cannon Carts, which I get, especially considering I am predicting an air meta early on! OTTO will give you a second Builder on the BB and that will significantly improve your upgrade pace. Faster upgrades means increased competitiveness.

To get a solid jump on the upgrade, you’ll want to take advantage of Books, Runes, resource overflow (buy resources in the Shop), Hammers, and the level-up bonus pack. My current upgrade plan goes something like this…

1. Upgrade BH8 to BH9 using Gold and a BoB.
    2. Drop everything new using Gold.
    3. Upgrade Star Lab using Elixir and a BoB.
    4. Upgrade Cannon Carts using a combination of Elixir/BoF and 1 Hammer.
    5. Upgrade MegaTesla using a Hammer.
    6. Upgrade Battle Machine 3 levels using Elixir and 2 Runes of Builder Elixir (one in storage, the other in this month’s Gold Pass).
    7. Upgrade Battle Machine to L29 and L30 using Hammers of Heroes.

That will give me OTTO and from there, I run my upgrade schedule pretty much the same as I have in the past.

8. Upgrade Roaster (probably using a Hammer).
    9. Upgrade everything new to L8.
    10. Upgrade remaining key defenses to L9 (including Lava Launcher)

Next come secondary then tertiary defenses. My secondary defense tier includes FireCrackers, AirBombs, Hidden Teslas, Crushers, and Double Cannons. I plan on upgrading these in exactly this order, again, because I expect an air meta and want to be best capable of defending against it.

As always, Archer Towers, Cannons, and Guard Post (tertiary defenses) will all come at the end of the defensive upgrade roundup and mines/traps will be done in between everything else.

Storages will be able to hold 4.2M Gold/Elixir once the BH is upgraded to BH9. That is actually enough to upgrade a whole bunch of stuff, especially if you’re using overflowed resource storages and Hammers. You will not need to upgrade your Gold Storages until you start upgrading key defenses from the storages themselves. Elixir storages will need to be upgraded typically after your first regular troop upgrade. (And if you have the Gold Pass, you won’t need to upgrade storages at all.)

I’ve put together my part 1 upgrade video and it is posted online for those who are interested. I go into a bit more detail and reasoning, focus in on upgrade costs and OTTO. At the time of posting this article, it is unlisted so consider it an exclusive. Part 2 will be the more general upgrade path and a discussion of troop upgrades, coming in a couple days.

Last edited by Noctaire; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:23 PM.
    Clan/Task Force: Divergent Void (#P8CGRG0C / #8GG02YRP)
    Noc's Clash Journal
    Gaming with Noc (Videos)
    Chance favors the prepared mind; quit yer whingein' and find a solution.

Ty for the exclusivity friend!

I'd also like to hear your thoughts about the upcoming meta (which seems to be an air meta)
    Last edited by michelms; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by michelms View Post
    Ty for the exclusivity friend!

I'd also like to hear your thoughts about the upcoming meta (which seems to be an air meta)
    I will discuss it a little more I’m the second part when I talk about troop upgrades, but I agree - I expect an air meta. At first, it will be mixed as there won’t be many players with sufficiently upgraded defense. That won’t last very long, though; between the bonus pack, magic items, and soon...I suspect we will hit an air meta fairly quickly. Although I am upgrading CCs first so I can get OTTO, I will be switching to Beta Minions and Drop Ships right after. Then...I dunno, yet. I’ve thought about doing Hog Gliders. I might even consider upgrading BDs to get the additional unit per camp.
    Noc's Clash Journal
    Gaming with Noc (Videos)

I like the builder hall alot but I don't think I will use so much magic items on it since there are new levels for heros on the main village.

Battle machine will take the longest, and attacking without it is quite pain so first Im going to get minions to max then focus on the battle machine and canon cart if possible simultaneously, and probably hammer the mega tesla

It will take a little longer but using air attack will let me have fair chance to compete

Also worth to mention I think it's best to save clock potion for 2 builders working rather then 1

Quote Originally Posted by Noctaire View Post
    I will discuss it a little more I’m the second part when I talk about troop upgrades, but I agree - I expect an air meta. At first, it will be mixed as there won’t be many players with sufficiently upgraded defense. That won’t last very long, though; between the bonus pack, magic items, and soon...I suspect we will hit an air meta fairly quickly. Although I am upgrading CCs first so I can get OTTO, I will be switching to Beta Minions and Drop Ships right after. Then...I dunno, yet. I’ve thought about doing Hog Gliders. I might even consider upgrading BDs to get the additional unit per camp.
    I think i am skipping otto to go minion drops first. Could seriously use a bof in the next clan games. Boh are being used as fast as i can get them on main so bm will have to wait.
    sig by dharmaraj in sig shop
    Clan: MN ICE #8UCRP8CL
    IGN: Piper139 #2PQQR9Q22

I’ll be laying a lot of this out in part 2. The BH9 upgrade path is similar to previous, but OTTO definitely throws a wrinkle into it. I’ll be interested to hear from forumers over the coming months as to whether or not they decided to upgrade OTTO early or jump into a more standard upgrade path. It really could go either way, easily.
    Noc's Clash Journal
    Gaming with Noc (Videos)

I usually swap archer towers and crushers. Put archer towers in with secondary and crushers with tertiary.
    Why? B/c archer towers can target both air & ground units.

My usual upgrade path is:
    Phase 1: everything new to previous bh lvl (level 8), plus barracks, lab, and storages.
    Phase 2: core defenses (key defenses): roaster, mega tesla, air bombs, multi mortar, giant cannon, and lava launcher.
    Phase 3: secondary defenses: hidden teslas, archer towers, firecrackers, and double cannons.
    Phase 4: anything else, including bm and walls.
    Not sure if I'm going to shoot for O.T.T.O first, or hold off to get phase one complete.

Curious why you put crushers before archer towers? Seems that having more defenses upgraded that can target both air & ground is the better payoff.
    Thpughts?
    Last edited by joemann8478; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joemann8478 View Post
    I usually swap archer towers and crushers. Put archer towers in with secondary and crushers with tertiary.
    Why? B/c archer towers can target both air & ground units.

My usual upgrade path is:
    Phase 1: everything new to previous bh lvl (level 8), plus barracks, lab, and storages.
    Phase 2: core defenses (key defenses): roaster, mega tesla, air bombs, multi mortar, giant cannon, and lava launcher.
    Phase 3: secondary defenses: hidden teslas, archer towers, firecrackers, and double cannons.
    Phase 4: anything else, including bm and walls.
    Not sure if I'm going to shoot for O.T.T.O first, or hold off to get phase one complete.

Curious why you put crushers before archer towers? Seems that having more defenses upgraded that can target both air & ground is the better payoff.
    Thpughts?
    ‘I agree as well, I feel like archer towers are more efficient because of the long range and multiple targeting.

Thank you so much! This is so helpful

I hadnt even thought of upgrading the Battle Machine using my elixir runes and book of heroes and hammers. I was going to use them all on the AQ but now Im torn between the AQ and the BM! Agh, it would give me OTTO which would be very advantageous. But would I ever even want to upgrade two buildings at once in the Builder Base considering how vulnerable it makes you on defence? But then again I hate attacking without the battle machine and they are 5 day upgrades which is a long time. Can you help me decide?
    Last edited by ElectroWiz; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:49 AM.

Centennial Club
    Sorry Noc, I think you're a cool guy and very helpful for the clash community.

But I think the logic behind getting Otto so quickly doesn't really add up due to a couple factors :-

Even if we assume everyone is already max BH8, they still need to add another 5 levels to the BM in order to unlock... That's a lot of elixir / runes / hammers / books, which would all be better used for upgrading troops etc

Also with the standard daily loot rates, it's extremely rare that a 2nd builder would even be beneficial at all, the game has been designed with pacing for a single builder... Unless of course the new defences are much cheaper than historical norms.
    Last edited by iHeron; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:06 AM.