Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Videos into text please

Videos into text please

I wonder if it is annoying to many others, I have very poor hearing, and videos simply aren't as good as text for conveying information. What's the possibility of subtitles, or transcripts, or just normal old fashioned sneaks (maybe as well, I appreciate that videos are very popular)

If you speak about sneak peaks video , then in sticky thread you can found text what say in Video 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Bbeehhaappyy View Post
    If you speak about sneak peaks video , then in sticky thread you can found text what say in Video 😉
    That might be true if you read the whole thread, it's certainly not all in the first post.
    Thanks for the patronising and useless response though.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilISuppose View Post
    I wonder if it is annoying to many others, I have very poor hearing, and videos simply aren't as good as text for conveying information. What's the possibility of subtitles, or transcripts, or just normal old fashioned sneaks (maybe as well, I appreciate that videos are very popular)
    Agreed. Also since similarly the effort was made for CG where the graphics are supplemented by full text.

I tend to be accessing the forum, on weekdays from my office, where youtube is not allowed by our VPN/firewalls (actually this forum either, but I found a way around, but not to youtube - yet). I have then to wait for the end of the work day to check what the video explains, and if different from the text. Also, honestly, on limited connection youtube is data-guzzler...

Yet, from past experience, multiple media may create confusion (ie typos in one, not in other, even if both are text forms, likely copied from each other ).

Also, maybe , a text form (a-la screenplay) could enable (more) proofreading, help avoid unfortunate mistakes. But maybe mistakes (called ‘bugs’) are part of the communication...

Quote Originally Posted by PhilISuppose View Post
    That might be true if you read the whole thread, it's certainly not all in the first post.
    Thanks for the patronising and useless response though.
    oh so patronising, telling you WHERE to find it???

literally all information is in that post, and if not, it'll be in the FAQ post, maybe open your eyes, that you require so much and go have a look?

It is certainly a valid point. A link to a text transcript would probably be easiest. I'm not sure how well a transcript of the whole video would fit in forum format. Bonus is you could run it through Google translate if English isn't one's best language. YouTube appears to allow close captioning so also could be done.
    sig by dharmaraj in sig shop
    Clan: MN ICE #8UCRP8CL
    IGN: Piper139 #2PQQR9Q22

Quote Originally Posted by Piper139 View Post
    It is certainly a valid point. A link to a text transcript would probably be easiest. I'm not sure how well a transcript of the whole video would fit in forum format. Bonus is you could run it through Google translate if English isn't one's best language. YouTube appears to allow close captioning so also could be done.
    I was going to post that, I think ‘Alphabet’ owns both youtube and speech-to-text technologies (since i’ve seen it available in some youtube posts (not from SC I believe though).

Quote Originally Posted by lawllypop View Post

literally all information is in that post, and if not, it'll be in the FAQ post, maybe open your eyes, that you require so much and go have a look?
    You are rather missing the point. Yes. The basic info is there. The discussion in the video is not. For the hearing impaired, they cannot get the full effect from the video.
    sig by dharmaraj in sig shop
    Clan: MN ICE #8UCRP8CL
    IGN: Piper139 #2PQQR9Q22

Quote Originally Posted by lawllypop View Post

He hasn't told me where to find it, and neither have you.
    If this was always easily available, do you think I would be asking?

You (personally) know that "literally all the information in the video is in that post" and that's something I (personally) can't even know is true because I can't understand everything said in the video. You're basically making my point for me.

I have a genuine problem that stuff gets announced and I literally cannot find out about it until something like a FAQ or a reply on the thread happens. This is why I prefer sneak peeks that are text, and why I asked if we could get transcripts or subtitles.

If the information was all in that post, why do most threads based on a video have someone commenting "this is in the video at <timestamp> if you look"?

I get it, you don't have this problem, why did you feel the need to comment?

Quote Originally Posted by PaluEF View Post
    I was going to post that, I think ‘Alphabet’ owns both youtube and speech-to-text technologies (since i’ve seen it available in some youtube posts (not from SC I believe though).
    Speech to Text to Google Translate ... problem solved!