Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Videos into text please

YouTube does have auto-generated captions in the absence of provided ones, though they can be hilariously inaccurate, especially given the accent present. Definitely agree full synopses/transcripts would be nice, even if my reason is just not wanting to watch the videos.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilISuppose View Post
    I wonder if it is annoying to many others, I have very poor hearing, and videos simply aren't as good as text for conveying information. What's the possibility of subtitles, or transcripts, or just normal old fashioned sneaks (maybe as well, I appreciate that videos are very popular)
    I work with students with disabilities. Here are the steps to show captions in Youtube videos.
    1. Open the video and once it starts to play, select the * cog at the bottom of the window. This will take you into “Settings”.
    2. In the list, select “Subtitles” and then choose your language.
    3. From first glance, it appears the captions have been edited.

That’s all you need to do. I’ll be online for a while to help you if you need it.
    Last edited by LeethalForce; June 15th, 2019 at 02:45 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by themariofan View Post
    YouTube does have auto-generated captions in the absence of provided ones, though they can be hilariously inaccurate, especially given the accent present. Definitely agree full synopses/transcripts would be nice, even if my reason is just not wanting to watch the videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeethalForce View Post
    I work with students with disabilities. Here are the steps to show captions in Youtube videos.
    1. Open the video and once it starts to play, select the * cog at the bottom of the window. This will take you into “Settings”.
    2. In the list, select “Subtitles” and then choose your language.
    3. From first glance, it appears the captions have been edited.

That’s all you need to do. I’ll be online for a while to help you if you need it.
    Thanks, I have not seen these in an edited state before, the auto-generated captions are worse than useless. To be honest I had given up on them, as you can imagne, with poor hearing youtube isn't high on my list of entertainment options
    Even before my hearing loss I didn't much like the videos, but they had become super frustrating. Captions makes it bearable, but I'd still be keen on a transcript or a normal style sneak peek.

Forum Veteran
    I prefer text than videos too. Simply because with text, it will be much easier to search for a specific info. Imagine if SC release a 15 minutes long video and the said info is in minutes 9. I don't have a photographic memory. And it would be a nuissance if I have to replay the video over 9999 times to find something that I might humanely missed.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilISuppose View Post
    That might be true if you read the whole thread, it's certainly not all in the first post.
    Thanks for the patronising and useless response though.
    I have read text and get enough information about obs, video I not look because I don't understand English when somebody say.. only text. For that reason and I told , in video they have must told same or write same in text what told in video. If not, then why?
    Last edited by Bbeehhaappyy; June 15th, 2019 at 09:37 AM.

The youtube video got subtitels.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbeehhaappyy View Post
    I have read text and get enough information about obs, video I not look because I don't understand English when somebody say.. only text. For that reason and I told , in video they have must told same or write same in text what told in video. If not, then why?
    From my experience with closed captioning/audio... we read slower than people speak so closed captioners try to include as much as they can for each person who is being seen on the screen. They might miss a few words because someone reading won’t be able to read the entire caption before that person stops talking and the next person starts. For example, say someone is describing the weather and they say words like “in the meantime”, or “moving on to tomorrow...” .... the caption might take out everything except the word “tomorrow” so the person reading will get the most important information.

Quote Originally Posted by LeethalForce View Post
    From my experience with closed captioning/audio... we read slower than people speak so closed captioners try to include as much as they can for each person who is being seen on the screen. They might miss a few words because someone reading won’t be able to read the entire caption before that person stops talking and the next person starts. For example, say someone is describing the weather and they say words like “in the meantime”, or “moving on to tomorrow...” .... the caption might take out everything except the word “tomorrow” so the person reading will get the most important information.
    Then how I understand my choice are good ) Thank you for explain.

For the main part, if you read the sneak peek posts then you will get most of the relevant content right there. Darian has been pretty good about detailing updates in the written portion of his posts, as well as including screenshots that make the concepts more understandable. The videos contain a bit of banter and content creators will of course expound a bit on the new features, what they mean long term for the game, how they work, and so forth, but it still usually boils down to what’s in the sneak peak messages.

That said, YouTube supports subtitles/CCs natively for all videos. Adding them isn’t particularly difficult, but it can be a bit time consuming and adds at least a couple hours onto the typical creation process during post. You simply go through the video, pause, type in subtitles, then continue (lather, rinse, repeat). There are some other ways to do it, but all are generally similar. Yup can always use the speech-to-text functions on videos, but accuracy may be an issue there....

Unfortunately, adding actual subtitles/CCs to a video requires quite a lot of extra effort for most YTers, so you’re not likely to see it done often. The typical 7-10 minute video I put up on my channel will take 3-5 hours to put together. (It can sometimes take a little longer if I am having brain-mouth disconnects!) Adding another couple hours of post for subtitles on such a short video is a bit much. This is why I often post the script I generate as an article on my blog (blog.clashmaniac.com). I do not do this for every video, but I do it for any where I include a write up on the BB forum. It’s not verbatim, but contains all the salient facts and I stick pretty close to it when I create the live narrative.

I don’t know what SuperCell’s internal policy is around accommodating disabilities, but I do think this is a very good request that should be considered. I’m sure Darian and others will see this post and respond. In the meantime, you might want to try turning on captions in the individual video menu (little dots in the corner or gear) to see if they have them there already.

EDIT: I’m told SC already does this. Just click the video menu and choose your language to see them.

Last edited by Noctaire; June 15th, 2019 at 09:18 PM.
    Clan/Task Force: Divergent Void (#P8CGRG0C / #8GG02YRP)
    Noc's Clash Journal
    Gaming with Noc (Videos)
    Chance favors the prepared mind; quit yer whingein' and find a solution.

Forum Legend
    Ah.. an instruction on how to turn on closed captions on youtube videos.. I would have figured that out if I was hard of hearing.. or had difficulty with English.

Nifty feature..

/Affront