Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Definitive Guide to Heroes and Walls: When to go to the Next Town Hall Level

Fresh Spawn

A Definitive Guide to Heroes and Walls: When to go to the Next Town Hall Level

Hey forum members. Iíve been reading the forums for a while now but havenít done much in the way of posting. I always like to keep an eye out for opinions and heroes and walls, but I havenít see a definitive guide, most just a ton of spread out opinions in several different posts. Every time I near the jump, I always wonder if walls are worth it and if my heroes will be good enough to play competitively at the next level. Currently, I am a near max th11 with maxed out level 12 walls and 43/50/20 heroes. I have, however, been quite rushed at different points in the game, so I have some experience with lower level heroes and walls. In this guide I will go through each town hall level and give my two cents on when enough is enough.

Please know I am writing this guide with casual players in mind, ones who want to have a decent base and not get shamed for rushing on global. I will outline some town hall standards/new stuff at the beginning of each town hall section, then move on to wall and heroes costs and then give my recommendations and minimums and an explanation for my logic.

Town Halls 1-6:
    You are going to want to max out your walls before hitting that town hall upgrade button. Walls are quite a bit cheaper and arenít going to take all that long compared to higher town hall levels. Plus, it promotes good farming habits and will probably force you to stay just long enough to max your defenses and lab. Town hall 6 and below is pretty straightforward, so I wonít put specific stats.

Town hall 7:
    This is the first step into the world of dark elixir and the hero grind. Coming into th7, you should have level 6 walls and a maxed out defensive infrastructure. If you do not, itís okay to place the dark elixir storage and the barbarian king, but you should be ready to finish all that up before going to th8.

Walls: 175
    Cost/piece: 100,000 gold (level 7)
    Cost to max walls (assuming 125 level 6 coming into th7): 22,052,500 gold

Barbarian King: Levels 1-5
    (In order to keep the guide shorter, Iíll put the cumulative dark elixir costs and time instead of showing data for each level)
    Cumulative dark costs: 75,000 dark elixir
    Cumulative time: 3 days

It is highly recommended to max out walls and the barbarian king before going to th8. The level 5 ability is a necessity and at a cost of 75k dark and only 3 days, itís too easy to pass up. Walls are only going to cost 22 million gold, which can be farmed without too much trouble. Upgrading without a maxed barb king and set of walls is shooting yourself in the foot.

Town hall 8:
    Town hall 8 doesnít really get too much more complicated. There is one more level of walls to do and another 5 levels on the barbarian king. Dark elixir will get easier to farm and walls are only about twice as much. Again, if you come to th8 without a maxed th7 standard, it is recommended to get to that standard asap.

Walls: 225
    Cost/piece: 250,000 gold (Level 8)
    Cost to max walls: 68,802,500 gold (From a set of 7s to 8s)

Barbarian King: Levels 6-10
    Cumulative Dark costs: 137,500 dark elixir
    Cumulative time costs: 7.5 days

It is highly recommended to max out walls and the barbarian king before upgrading to th9. The hero grind at th9 is tough and you will want to take off as many levels as you can before everything gets crazy at th9. Walls are really not too expensive yet, but defensive upgrades are stating to add up as well. You should still max walls, however, because th9 has two levels to complete.

Town hall 9:
    This is where the grind starts to begin. You will have 30 queen levels, 20 king levels, and two levels of walls in order to max out. It was in your best interests to max th8, even if you are not a ďmaxerĒ, but if you came into th9 with a level 7 or 8 barb king and some level 7 walls, itís okay. Anything below that should be maxed asap.

Walls: 250
    Cost/piece: 500,000 gold or elixir (Level 9 walls or LEGO walls)
    1,000,000 gold or elixir (level 10 or lava walls)
    Cumulative cost: 409,552,500 gold or elixir

Barbarian King: Levels 11-30
    Cumulative dark elixir: 1,565,000 dark elixir
    Cumulative time: 67.5 days

Archer Queen: Levels 1-30
    Cumulative dark elixir cost: 2,197,500 dark elixir
    Cumulative time: 82 days

Heroes: 50 levels
    Cumulative dark elixir: 3,762,500 dark elixir
    Cumulative time: 149.2 days (assuming one builder used)

Th9 is where the maxers become rushers and the strong is separated from the weak. From what Iíve seen, most people donít max th9. After their defenses are done, they call it quits on heroes and go up with the walls they have. Usually that constitutes mostly level 9 walls with some level 10 and 15/15 heroes. I would say the minimum hero levels before upgrading to th10 should be 20/20. I feel like I am being pretty lenient on this minimum. You are setting yourself up later for a serious hero grind by going with 20/20 heroes early, but those hero levels will work well enough. IMO, a queen walk will not work properly until you have a level 20+ queen. If you are seriously competitive in war, you will want 30/30 heroes. If you are a casual player, and the th9 game is starting to get boring, but you want to be able to war at th10, 20/25 is recommended. Without heroes at least 20/20, th10 is going to be tough. In the case of walls, if you are going to get your heroes to a decent level, your walls will naturally get upgraded as you take more time at th9. I think a full set of level 9 walls should be minimum. However, you should get a ring of level 10 walls in strategic locations. Level 10 walls take 2 hits for a max wall wrecker to break, unlike level 9, which break after 1 hit.

Recap
    Minimum: 20/20 heroes and level 9 walls, some level 10
    Recommended: 20/25 with half level 10 walls
    Max: 30/30 heroes and level 10 walls

Town hall 10

Town hall 10 doesnít have much new in the way of walls or heroes, unlike th9, but it is still quite a grind as costs only increase. Coming into th10, you will want to have a minimum of 20/20 heroes and a full set of level 9 walls with some level 10. If you do not yet have the minimum, I highly recommend upgrading to the minimum before placing your infernos. As I said before, a queen walk is not going to work properly unless you have a level 20 queen. I personally came to th10 with 17/20 heroes. While they did work, an extra 5 or 10 levels makes quite a big difference. At a certain point, walls start to become more optional than necessary. Th10 is the beginning of this shift.

Walls: 275
    Cost/piece: 2,000,000 gold or elixir (Level 11 or magma)
    Cumulative cost: 598,526,250 gold or elixir

Barbarian King: Levels 31-40
    Cumulative Dark Elixir: 1,470,000 Dark elixir
    Cumulative time: 61 days

Archer Queen: Levels 31-40
    Cumulative dark elixir: 1,570,000 dark elixir
    Cumulative time: 61 days

Heroes: 20 levels
    Cumulative dark elixir: 3,040,000 dark elixir
    Cumulative time (assuming 1 builder for heroes): 122 days

Th10 continues to further widen the gap between maxers, rushers, and the casual player. There are only 10 levels on each hero and only one more wall level, so it is more straightforward than th9. However, costs continue to rise, and players can become more and more rushed. With the introduction of infernos, heroes arenít as effective. For war, you will probably want 25/25 heroes at th10. From my experience at th10 and from watching th10 players in my clan, I would say that the minimum level of heroes before going to th11 is 30/30. I went to th11 with 30/30 heroes, but quickly got my queen to 35. Defenses start to get better, and you will need at least 30/30 to be competitive in war. I again feel like I am being lenient on this. 30/30 heroes are solid at th10, and I regret upgrading to th11 with heroes 10 levels off max. Sitting with a max queen now and a level 43 king, I can tell you there is a massive difference between 40/40 heroes and 30/30 heroes. I recommend having 35/35 heroes before upgrading to th11. Obviously 40/40 is best, but few players have the patience to sit that long. A level 35 queen is good enough to ensure a two star on a th11, and a 35 king is a decent tank. In regards to walls, I love a full set of level 11 walls. I think the orange looks quite nice, but they are quite pricey. Maxing walls early means less work later, but at 2 mil a piece, it can take a while. Before you go to th11, you need a full set of level 10 walls. A max wall wrecker will take 2 hits to get through level 10 walls. Most players will have the higher level wall wreckers, so even though it takes 3 hits for a level 1 wall wrecker to break through level 11 walls, only level 10 walls are needed. My recommendation is the same as the minimum.

Th10 recap
    Minimum: 30/30 heroes and level 10 walls before th11
    Recommended: 35/35 heroes and level 10 walls
    Max: 40/40 heroes and level 11 walls

Town hall 11:

Town hall 11 starts to pack on the dps. Two more levels on inferno towers and the eagle artillery can really pack a punch. The great equalizer, however, is introduced: The grand warden. This guy changes the way raids are carried out. There are a ton of great guides out there for the grand warden so you should check them out to be able to use him effectively. Coming into th11, you will want 30/30 heroes and level 10 walls, at the very minimum. Anything below that and you will find three stars had to come by. I did much of my hero grind at th11. So far I have done 53 hero levels at th11, so I have a wide variety of experience with rushed and maxed heroes. If you get to th11 and your queen is not level 40, get her there asap. The king can wait at first. Also, your grand warden needs to go to level 5 asap to get that ability. Walls go to level 12. At this point, walls are going to give you 1,500 hit points each new level, but will jump spells and wall wreckers, they are not a massive priority.

Walls: 300
    Cost/piece: 4,000,000 gold or elixir
    Cumulative cost: 1,298,526,250 gold or elixir (assuming 275 level 11s)

Barbarian King: Levels 41-50
    Cumulative dark elixir: 1,835,000 dark elixir
    Cumulative time: 70 days

Archer queen: Levels 41-50
    Cumulative dark elixir: 1,890,000 dark elixir

Grand Warden: Levels 1-20
    Cumulative elixir: 134,100,000 elixir
    Cumulative time: 87.5 days

Heroes: 40 levels
    Cumulative dark elixir: 3,725,000 dark elixir
    Cumulative elixir: 134,100,000 elixir
    Cumulative time (assuming 1 builder): 227.5 days

Th11 introduces the grand warden, a new hero. It takes quite a bit of elixir and time to max him, but it is completely worth it. With each level, the life aura is going to give an increased number of hitpoints to your troops. I spent a little bit of time with a level 5 grand warden before upgrading him to level 10. I actually used my level 10 warden for quite a while and only recently got him to level 20. I would say that a level 10 warden will work fine at th11 for a while, but you will get caught using him and upgrading him will be a pain. Most players encourage taking him straight to 20. There is not a massive difference between level 10 and 20, but you will need a level 20 at th12 so maxing sooner is the best bet. (Before I give my suggestions for the king and queen and walls, please keep in mind this is from my experience observing other th12s and attacking th12s as a th11.) I think that the minimum hero levels before upgrading to th12 is 40/41+/15. While a level 50 queen is best, level 41+ is high enough to be able to take on th12 bases. I say 41+ because a level 41 queen will work, but not extremely well. I do understand that th11 is a grind, especially when coming up with 30/30 heroes. Anything lower than a level 40 king will get shredded. While a level 20 warden is highly recommended, 15+ will be okay. I recommend 110 combined heroes before going to th12. Warden should be 20. 45/45/20 or 40/50/20 heroes will set you up for success at th12. The minimum wall level before upgrading to th12 is level 11 walls. You should have a full set of magmas before going to th12 or max troops are going to get through your walls easily. I recommend level 11 walls with an inner core of level 12s.

Recap
    Minimum: 40/41+/15 heroes and level 11 walls.
    Recommended: 110 combined hero levels (max warden) and level 11 walls with some level 12s
    Max: 50/50/20 heroes and level 12 walls.

Town hall 12
    Disclaimer: I am not yet th12. I donít have personal experience with th12 gameplay. I would appreciate if th12s could give their opinions in comments if any see this guide.

Th13 has not yet been released, so my th11 comments should work for the minimum hero levels at th12. You should get your warden to 20 ASAP once you hit th12 if you havenít done so already. I think a level 45 queen and king will work in war, but you are going to be limiting yourself by warring with level 45 heroes as your base upgrades and that Giga Tesla starts to do work on your armies. If you donít have the patience to take the queen and king to max, I recommend heroes should be at least 45/50/20 before you start to up your war weight. I will put the costs below, but cannot put a minimum because th13 has not been released.

Walls: 300 (only 250 able to be upgrade when this guide was written)
    Cost/piece: 5,000,000 gold or elixir
    Cumulative cost: 1,250,000,000 gold or elixir

Barbarian king: levels 51-60
    Cumulative dark elixir cost: 2,135,000 dark elixir

Archer Queen: Levels 51-60
    Cumulative dark elixir cost: 2,180,000 dark elixir

Grand Warden: Levels 21-30
    Cumulative elixir cost: 109,000,000 elixir

Heroes: 30 levels
    Cumulative dark elixir: 4,315,000 dark elixir
    Cumulative elixir: 109,000,000
    Cumulative time (Assuming 1 builder): 210 days

Thanks you so much for reading this guide! I look forward to hearing opinions below. I hope this guide has helped you make a decision about when to go to the next town hall level (and wasnít too boring). Feel free to stop by my clan LegendaryLogs and chat any time (Iím Laser21).

Troll Food
    Wow! I have to say I enjoyed reading your post as it was entertaining and well written. I myself have always been a maxer so these tips arent of the biggest need for me but well composed thread. Will surely help some other people who do not the best tips on grinding heroes and walls(The 2 hardest things to grind)

So, you clearly put a lot of work into this - nice job! I think that it sounds like a great guideline, but overall, it really depends on what someone wants to get out of the game or account. I've approached my alts very differently than my main.

One thing I note is wall levels. While they shouldn't be neglected, I don't think that anyone should hold off a th upgrade for walls. With the advent of wall wreckers, they don't matter as much. If they happen to be done by the time heroes are respectable, then great, but otherwise, leave 'em.
    Last edited by RhaegarTargaryen; May 25th, 2019 at 12:24 AM.

I have to admit I stopped reading at the part where you said it is highly recommended to max walls at th8. I don't agree with that all. It looks like there is some good information in there though, good effort OP.
    Last edited by 2222; May 25th, 2019 at 12:32 AM.
    Contact SC here. Click here to see how trophies are calculated. I'm still thinking starting the "new" legends at Legends2 at 5500 and having Legends3 be for 5000-5499 would be good (with season resets to 5000 and 5500 depending on your trophies at season end) but overall I LOVE the Legends change. Thanks SC.

Nice guide

Two important things:
    • Clan games unlock at TH6
    • Season challenges unlock at TH7

Maybe consider rushing a bit if you are active, know basic things like funneling and don't care about other people calling you rushed. I even rushed to th9 with all my accounts to start the hero grind early. Barch is everything you need for farming. I would not recommend to rush further tho. It takes a loooong time to fix a rushed th10+ and it's very frustrating not to be able to participate in clan war.

Great post indeed OP, which doesn’t fall into the trap of discussing offence v defence, and focusses instead on heroes and walls.
    It also, at the least gives the information about what a max is in each TH , as I see often on global that question popping.

I am sure many opinions will be provided, at some point, by other experienced players, also, so I’ll give my (short) addition:

- coming from th9 maxed, the initial th10 grind seems abrupt, as most upgrades are suddenly far more costly than at end of th9 (especially after weeks/months of grinding the end levesl of walls/heroes), then suddenly the next costs seem steep (at least my opinion for my last mini that I abandoned at that stage )

- th12 heroes: same as in early th11, I’d focus on getting the GW to 30 at once, as his absence is so annoying, assuming the others are maxed or close to. Walls are of course important as a L13 requires more hit than a L12 from a maxed siege.

Disclaimer: I did all my th12 upgrades from a th11 maxed for a year, so didn’t have an ‘organic’ growth from th11. The opinion above has the background of playing high level wars and champion 1 cwl (where ‘any’ advantage is needed)

One of the greatest parts about this game is there's no such thing as a definitive way to play it while progressing.

Level 18
    - 6,103/18,500| Master I
    BloodyIrishman - TH12 [Level 205] - #2 in TH12 Hall of Fame
    Follow this link if you're interested in joining!

Nice guide, but you’re coming from more of a maxing mentality. Strategic rushing is much faster and would not max walls or heroes in this fashion.

The key to deciding when to upgrade what - be it walls, heroes, defense, or even resource buildings - is to decide first what kind of game you want to play. Walls are only important for classic Clan Wars - there’s no other aspect of the game that pushes for wall upgrades. Hero levels...you want the ability but after that it becomes more a matter of using DE for important troops first, then upgrading the heroes. Again...unless classic CWs are your thing, in which case you will want to work on heroes earlier.

I am a heavy rusher. I‘ve done a full on max at each level through TH9 (IMHO, walls are just too expensive after that), and I’ve hyper-rushed a game from zero to TH12 with all L1 walls, defenses, and heroes. The decision for each style of progress - each RATE of progress - is entirely dependent on the goals of the player and, largely, personal preferences. I would neither follow, nor recommend anyone follow, this guide simply because it is a fit for you and maybe not a fit for someone else. It’s always good to share your ideas of how to play the game, though, especially if you can provide your reasoning as well, so others can take it in and use those ideas to formulate their own plan.
    Clan/Task Force: Divergent Void (#P8CGRG0C / #8GG02YRP)
    Noc's Clash Journal
    Gaming with Noc (Videos)
    Chance favors the prepared mind; quit yer whingein' and find a solution.

Fresh Spawn
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctaire View Post
    Nice guide, but you’re coming from more of a maxing mentality. Strategic rushing is much faster and would not max walls or heroes in this fashion.

The key to deciding when to upgrade what - be it walls, heroes, defense, or even resource buildings - is to decide first what kind of game you want to play. Walls are only important for classic Clan Wars - there’s no other aspect of the game that pushes for wall upgrades. Hero levels...you want the ability but after that it becomes more a matter of using DE for important troops first, then upgrading the heroes. Again...unless classic CWs are your thing, in which case you will want to work on heroes earlier.

I am a heavy rusher. I‘ve done a full on max at each level through TH9 (IMHO, walls are just too expensive after that), and I’ve hyper-rushed a game from zero to TH12 with all L1 walls, defenses, and heroes. The decision for each style of progress - each RATE of progress - is entirely dependent on the goals of the player and, largely, personal preferences. I would neither follow, nor recommend anyone follow, this guide simply because it is a fit for you and maybe not a fit for someone else. It’s always good to share your ideas of how to play the game, though, especially if you can provide your reasoning as well, so others can take it in and use those ideas to formulate their own plan.

I would agree with this. Maybe definitive wasn’t the best word to use lol. I tried to base it off a player who generally finishes defenses and then confronts the hero/wall question with the intent of casual war. I know there are other base upgrading strategies as well as personal preference and this guide does not give definitive advice for those gameplay styles. Thanks for the insight!

OP,good post.

I would say the correct progression path depends on activity and what you are actually trying to achieve.

I would say I pretty much did what you are saying on my main account.

Trouble is, by the time I had max defence and low 20s heroes at th9, I realized the error of my ways in not focussing on dark Elixir enough and started a mini account,doing just that.

Second time around I breezed through the early town halls and on getting to th8 as a max th7, rushed to th9 soon as walls were maxed then simply goblin knifed non stop for de until I was a max hero th11 and almost max defence.

It was incredibly effective,heroes were sleeping almost all the time and I rarely warred,but also incredibly boring. I don't think I would have stuck it out if I didn't have a main account to war and do "real" attacks with

But my goal was to get max hero second account ASAP, not to have fun whilst doing so,I left that to my main account.

I've been sitting as a max 12 on both accounts for some time now and am glad I did both accounts the way I did.

BTW,I've spent £200 on my main account and £0 on my mini