Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Why penalize a player that chooses a way of playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Skrags View Post
    I must admit, I was unaware of the 'self matching' clans that Major and Sam have posted about in this thread.
    It's certainly an interesting development.
    Has this been going on a long time, or was the retirement of the Martians a catalyst for the new breed of Glory Hunters?
    GayMartians was no catalyst, this loophole has always been there and has been happening for years. I am not surprised that most are not aware because most clans aren't paying attention to the clans above them. Most of the time when I have brought it up, it gets dismissed, or try to make a thread about it and it gets closed down by a mod because they don't understand and just want to keep the peace.

I would wager that SC devs are unaware as well.
    Last edited by MajorJohnson; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:02 PM.
    Engineered for success
    Engineered to win
    Winning is life
    Tiger blood

Forum Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorJohnson View Post
    FWA and self-match clans are 2 different things.

FWA clans choose at random who will win and who will lose for the purpose of farming, they do not affect global ranking of of any other clans and will match regular clans quite often which results in an easy win for the enemy clan.

Self-match clans do affect rankings because if you were ranked #1000, and 100 clans above you were matching themselves for easy wins, you could be ranked #900.

If you don't want to match other clans, you only need 2 unusual rosters that would not match anything else like for example, no clans would run 30 TH3's vs 30 TH3's, or if you have something just as obscure. I build my bases in 2's, and have unusual bases, I could do it too and then I would be truly unstoppable, no need to worry about clans trying to hunt me, no need to worry I might match a good clan, and because I match in minutes, and you match in hours, I will always climb faster than you. Just think how much of a relief it could be for me to hit that spin and not have to wonder "will this be the war that will take me down?'

I could have done it ages ago and I could do it tomorrow if I wanted to. I love playing this game, building bases, fighting wars, seeing how far I can go. If I self-matched it would cheapen my personal achievements and make every victory feel hollow because I did not earn it and you can't take it from me.
    I will try to be as honest as I possibly can here as Majorís comments have helped me sort out my own feelings.

I believe that everyone who plays desires one goal over any other: to have fun. For some it is the winning, for others it is base design, for others it is becoming the best at whatever aspect or metric the game has to offer. With that in mind, I believe ANY exploit should be minimized as much as is possible to provide as much fun for everyone as possible. There will always be differences between clans, some will be more developed, some will have lesser or greater skill, some will rush, some will max and some will engineer. SCís goal (and it should be ours as well) is to try and keep the differences within certain tolerances so that the majority of the community has an enjoyable experience.

Given that goal, Sc should address self matching. Not because it impacts the winstreak folks (and here I will sadly admit to some satisfaction that the shoe is on the other foot for the engineers) but because IMO it violates the spirit of the game that we all are so passionate about. I feel equally passionate that SC should continue to minimize the impacts of ALL playstyles on others in the community.

I came to this understanding when I read Majoríss comments and they sound so very familiar, let me demonstrate:

ĒI built my base without any real understanding of war weight and because I love defense and base design I tended to complete my defenses long before my offense was complete. I could have engineered and I could have become really dangerous. no more worrying about engineers trying to match me for an easy win, a lot better odds of matching teams I can easily beat and because I can easily beat them, I get more resources and as a bonus they get fewer resources to develop their bases. just think how much a relief it would be to hit the spin button and not worry that it would be yet another war I probably wont win.

I could have engineered ages ago and I could still do it tomorrow if I wanted to, there are tons of ways still available to engineer. i love playing this game, designing my base, fighting wars, seeing how far I can go. If I engineered it would cheapen my personal achievements and make every victory feel hollow because I didnt face opponents that were as close to being my equal as possible.Ē

Does sound familiar to anyone else? This is why it really doesnt matter what type of playstyle you enjoy, we should all be trying to get SC to minimize all exploits as much as possible and that includes self matching.

Quote Originally Posted by Tosti111 View Post
    I will try to be as honest as I possibly can here as Major’s comments have helped me sort out my own feelings.

I believe that everyone who plays desires one goal over any other: to have fun. For some it is the winning, for others it is base design, for others it is becoming the best at whatever aspect or metric the game has to offer. With that in mind, I believe ANY exploit should be minimized as much as is possible to provide as much fun for everyone as possible. There will always be differences between clans, some will be more developed, some will have lesser or greater skill, some will rush, some will max and some will engineer. SC’s goal (and it should be ours as well) is to try and keep the differences within certain tolerances so that the majority of the community has an enjoyable experience.

Given that goal, Sc should address self matching. Not because it impacts the winstreak folks (and here I will sadly admit to some satisfaction that the shoe is on the other foot for the engineers) but because IMO it violates the spirit of the game that we all are so passionate about. I feel equally passionate that SC should continue to minimize the impacts of ALL playstyles on others in the community.

I came to this understanding when I read Major’ss comments and they sound so very familiar, let me demonstrate:

”I built my base without any real understanding of war weight and because I love defense and base design I tended to complete my defenses long before my offense was complete. I could have engineered and I could have become really dangerous. no more worrying about engineers trying to match me for an easy win, a lot better odds of matching teams I can easily beat and because I can easily beat them, I get more resources and as a bonus they get fewer resources to develop their bases. just think how much a relief it would be to hit the spin button and not worry that it would be yet another war I probably wont win.

I could have engineered ages ago and I could still do it tomorrow if I wanted to, there are tons of ways still available to engineer. i love playing this game, designing my base, fighting wars, seeing how far I can go. If I engineered it would cheapen my personal achievements and make every victory feel hollow because I didnt face opponents that were as close to being my equal as possible.”

Does sound familiar to anyone else? This is why it really doesnt matter what type of playstyle you enjoy, we should all be trying to get SC to minimize all exploits as much as possible and that includes self matching.
    I agree. I’ve always wanted SC to eliminate or reduce as many of the matchmaker flaws as possible. I’d like every build style to have no advantage or disadvantage. I don’t see any way to achieve that 100% (other than just giving everyone a max base of the hall they are which wouldn’t be good for the game) so the goal I guess is to get as close as possible to that. The matchmaker has improved a lot. The introduction of th13 and some time to allow more clans to have th12s will also improve the matchmaker greatly. My own clan which runs 5-7 th12s almost never gets an engineering disadvantage. We have been slowly eliminating our own engineering, due to the matchmaker changes as well as due to the introduction of CWL.
    Contact SC here. Click here to see how trophies are calculated. I'm still thinking starting the "new" legends at Legends2 at 5500 and having Legends3 be for 5000-5499 would be good (with season resets to 5000 and 5500 depending on your trophies at season end) but overall I LOVE the Legends change. Thanks SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Tosti111 View Post
    I will try to be as honest as I possibly can here as Major’s comments have helped me sort out my own feelings.

I believe that everyone who plays desires one goal over any other: to have fun. For some it is the winning, for others it is base design, for others it is becoming the best at whatever aspect or metric the game has to offer. With that in mind, I believe ANY exploit should be minimized as much as is possible to provide as much fun for everyone as possible. There will always be differences between clans, some will be more developed, some will have lesser or greater skill, some will rush, some will max and some will engineer. SC’s goal (and it should be ours as well) is to try and keep the differences within certain tolerances so that the majority of the community has an enjoyable experience.

I came to this understanding when I read Major’ss comments and they sound so very familiar, let me demonstrate:

”I built my base without any real understanding of war weight and because I love defense and base design I tended to complete my defenses long before my offense was complete. I could have engineered and I could have become really dangerous. no more worrying about engineers trying to match me for an easy win, a lot better odds of matching teams I can easily beat and because I can easily beat them, I get more resources and as a bonus they get fewer resources to develop their bases. just think how much a relief it would be to hit the spin button and not worry that it would be yet another war I probably wont win.

I could have engineered ages ago and I could still do it tomorrow if I wanted to, there are tons of ways still available to engineer. i love playing this game, designing my base, fighting wars, seeing how far I can go. If I engineered it would cheapen my personal achievements and make every victory feel hollow because I didnt face opponents that were as close to being my equal as possible.”

Agreed 100% and quoted for Uber truth! Too bad i can't give more rep.
    Last edited by Thegreatpuma; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:27 PM.

Forum Veteran
    You know, I don't care about win streaks, but this thread honestly tempts me into attempting to self match in order to level up our low clan with a minimal amount of work.

I'm guessing though that it would take more work to do than to just do a bunch of regular wars, mostly because the xp from beating a th3 would be minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by littledoctor View Post
    You know, I don't care about win streaks, but this thread honestly tempts me into attempting to self match in order to level up our low clan with a minimal amount of work.

I'm guessing though that it would take more work to do than to just do a bunch of regular wars, mostly because the xp from beating a th3 would be minimal.

yep, doing that would be more work than necessary. i did it with th5. you will win 75% of the time anyway, the rest will be an occasional loss from people gemming or just outright mismatch, but mostly ties.

Actually that reminds me of a post I came across during last CWL where the guy basically said "During CWL I just self-match because of the low pool for some easy wins. I've been making the names of the clans to make a message in my war log, last time I did "Supercells" "Matchmaker is a" "Freaking joke".

Not sure I could find the original post, and name and shame so I'm just paraphrasing.

How about we prove this is possible during CWL? I have a couple clans just sitting idle. Each person would make a couple TH3's for 30-40 bases in total and run 15-20v wars and try to match each other a few times.

I bet I could beat you TH3, mano a mano.

Let's go
    Last edited by MajorJohnson; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:01 PM.
    Engineered for success
    Engineered to win
    Winning is life
    Tiger blood

Forum Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorJohnson View Post
    How about we prove this is possible during CWL? I have a couple clans just sitting idle. Each person would make a couple TH3's for 30-40 bases in total and run 15-20v wars and try to match each other a few times.

I bet I could beat you TH3, mano a mano.

Let's go
    That would be awesome, but cwl week is kind of busy for me...

That would be awesome, but cwl week is kind of busy for me...
    If we had a bunch of people with some lead time it could be pretty easy to do, takes maybe 15 minutes to make one or two TH3s and could be done anytime. One clan stays put, second clan moves to a new clan once matched, attacks wouldn't matter so second clan would have 47 hours to move to the next clan which takes only 1 minute.

There is maybe 10 people in this thread and I think I could rustle up some volunteers too.

CWL is 7 days from now, plus 2 day war cool down is 9 days.
    Last edited by MajorJohnson; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:59 PM.
    Engineered for success
    Engineered to win
    Winning is life
    Tiger blood

Quote Originally Posted by 2222 View Post
    That isn't what he said though, he said a player/clan should NEVER get a match that they cannot win. Also, there is no difference between "gaining an advantage" and "avoiding a disadvantage." If you rush your base ahead to th10 and drop your infernos with baby heroes and I take more of a maxer path, I gained an advantage over you or I avoided a disadvantage. It is the same thing.
    The impact in war is quite different though. Rushers have a better chance of winning the war if the maxer clan are bad at attacking, but for engineers, the entire roster is at an advantage of allowing dips. And engineers need not necessarily be weaker on defense. A TH11 with fully upgraded point defenses with no infernoes sitting below a maxed TH10 can sometimes be tougher to beat.