Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10 bonus star for a win in cwl: is it really necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by joemann8478 View Post
    Something I've wondered for awhile: is it really necessary for clans to get an additional 10 stars for winning a war in cwl?
    My clan is in crystal 1 and in April's cwl the clan in third (not us as we finished 5th) lost out on 2nd place by 1 or 2 stars.
    They actually scored more stars than the clan in 2nd, but didn't win as many wars as they did.
    In May's cwl we finished in 3rd place, 10 stars less than 2nd place. Each clan scored 401 stars, but b/c they won one more war than us, those extra 10 stars put them in 2nd.
    However, they did have a higher dmg % so we still would've finished in 3rd.
    Now, I'm not complaining here; I'm just asking if the extra stars for a win are really necessary..
    After all, cwl is about who is the best and most of that hinges on how many stars your clan earns over the course of 7 wars in 7 days.
    I just think some clans may lose out on getting promoted due to the bonus stars.
    Imagine if you will: Clan A scores 400 stars and wins 6 wars for a total of 460 stars & 2nd place.
    Whereas, Clan B scores 391 stars but wins all 7 wars for a grand total of 461 stars & 1st place.
    If cwl is supposed to be skill based and in keeping in line with the spirit of competetion, is this right? Fair? Justified?
    Clan A essentially loses out on medals and a promotion due solely to bonus stars, despite scoring 9 more stars against common opponents than Clan B.
    One may argue: well, Clan B won against Clan A, so they should get something, right?
    Well, is cwl structured around each individual war seperately? Or is it structured around the composite total of all 7 wars?
    If it is around each individual war seperately, then ok, you have a fair point.
    Yet, if it is structured around the composite total of all 7 wars, then the bonus stars somewhat negates the skill factor as illustrated in my example.
    Which should it be: the total stars scored against common opponents without bonus stars? Or the same, yet with bonus stars?
    Do the bonus stars negate the skill factor of cwl?
    Are the bonus stars awarded for a win really necessary?

If there were no bonus stars then you may end where the wars are tight and a clan with 4-3 get promoted over a clan that has won 7-0. Maybe the real question is whether it should be more, 30v wars have twice the attacks and you still get 10 stars.
    Engineered for success
    Engineered to win
    Winning is life
    Tiger blood

Centennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by rowman View Post
    They should track wins and losses. Whomever has the most wins, not stars, is the first place team. If there is a tie, then use number of stars as a tiebreaker. Under the system they have in place, a team could go 7-0, winning every war, yet be placed lower than a team that went 6-1, or even 5-2.
    I actually like this idea better than giving 10 bonus stars for a win.
    Track the records and clans are placed within their group according to their records.
    Use stars as a tie breaker.
    In the rare event that two clans have an equal record (both are 6-1) and they have an equal number of stars, then the total destruction % can be used as a secondary tie breaker.
    In the event that a clan has all three of these equal (record-stars won-total destruction %), then whichever of these two clans beat the other will be placed higher (the outcome of the head-to-head war between the tied clans).
    In my mind, this would be a better way to handle cwl.
    This would put the emphasis on winning wars, as well as getting stars in order to win said wars.
    Clan A could go 7-0 scoring only 55 (385) stars per win. Add in bonus stars, they'll be at 455 stars.
    Clan B could go 6-1 scoring 65 stars in their 6 wins (390 stars) and 54 stars in their one loss for 444 stars. Add in their bonus stars (60) and they're at 504 stars.
    Which clan is better? The one with more wins (clan A) or the one with more stars (clan B)?
    Under the current system, Clan B would be deemed the better clan despite having lost to Clan A.
    Under the other system (record based) Clan A would be deemed the better clan due to having won all 7 wars.
    Personally I'd rather see cwl (not regular wars) go to a records based system. I'm assuming it was a simpler process to copy the code from the normal war structure and paste it into the cwl war structure than it would have been to write a whole new code for a records based system?
    I don't know since I don't know how to code; hence, my "assuming" comment.
    I wonder if the dev team has discussed something like this for the future?

Quote Originally Posted by joemann8478 View Post
    I just think some clans may lose out on getting promoted due to the bonus stars.
    Imagine if you will: Clan A scores 400 stars and wins 6 wars for a total of 460 stars & 2nd place.
    Whereas, Clan B scores 391 stars but wins all 7 wars for a grand total of 461 stars & 1st place.
    If cwl is supposed to be skill based
    Well, it's a fair question, but you could turn this example upside down.
    In the last but one season of CWL, we were in Masters 2.

We won 6 out of 7 wars, and got promoted.
    The Clan who finished 2nd, won 7 out of 7 wars, including defeating us, but remained in M2.

They beat us in an exciting war, fair and square, but I'd imagine were disappointed not to get promoted!

Swings and roundabouts!
    Clan Name : SOUTH WEST 45, Clan Tag : #90LP2PL. Highest Win Streak 12!
    Clan Details : Established 2012! Adult, English speaking International Level 15 War Clan (twice a week). Recruitment Thread : https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...10-s-to-TH12-s My Spec : Early TH12.