Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 bonus star for a win in cwl: is it really necessary?

Centennial Club

10 bonus star for a win in cwl: is it really necessary?

Something I've wondered for awhile: is it really necessary for clans to get an additional 10 stars for winning a war in cwl?
    My clan is in crystal 1 and in April's cwl the clan in third (not us as we finished 5th) lost out on 2nd place by 1 or 2 stars.
    They actually scored more stars than the clan in 2nd, but didn't win as many wars as they did.
    In May's cwl we finished in 3rd place, 10 stars less than 2nd place. Each clan scored 401 stars, but b/c they won one more war than us, those extra 10 stars put them in 2nd.
    However, they did have a higher dmg % so we still would've finished in 3rd.
    Now, I'm not complaining here; I'm just asking if the extra stars for a win are really necessary..
    After all, cwl is about who is the best and most of that hinges on how many stars your clan earns over the course of 7 wars in 7 days.
    I just think some clans may lose out on getting promoted due to the bonus stars.
    Imagine if you will: Clan A scores 400 stars and wins 6 wars for a total of 460 stars & 2nd place.
    Whereas, Clan B scores 391 stars but wins all 7 wars for a grand total of 461 stars & 1st place.
    If cwl is supposed to be skill based and in keeping in line with the spirit of competetion, is this right? Fair? Justified?
    Clan A essentially loses out on medals and a promotion due solely to bonus stars, despite scoring 9 more stars against common opponents than Clan B.
    One may argue: well, Clan B won against Clan A, so they should get something, right?
    Well, is cwl structured around each individual war seperately? Or is it structured around the composite total of all 7 wars?
    If it is around each individual war seperately, then ok, you have a fair point.
    Yet, if it is structured around the composite total of all 7 wars, then the bonus stars somewhat negates the skill factor as illustrated in my example.
    Which should it be: the total stars scored against common opponents without bonus stars? Or the same, yet with bonus stars?
    Do the bonus stars negate the skill factor of cwl?
    Are the bonus stars awarded for a win really necessary?

I like the bonus stars for a win. The clan being promoted should be the one that was able to win most of not all of the individual wars.

Take for example a clan with all defenseless (old style engineered) accounts. They could easily be 3 starred by every other clan. But in the lower divisions they could also score 40+ stars every war.

Now if the average of other wars are in the 30-35 star range, the clan that scored 40+ per war and lost every war would end up with the most stars in the group. I would hate to see a clan that couldn’t win any wars being the one labeled as the best in the group.

Forum Elder
    To be fair.. I am either or, so long as they announce the change prior to the start.
    I can see your point, it is valid. But i can also see the alternative, whereby the clan with most wins may ease ahead.

There are, of course, always ifs and buts.. What if a clan strategy is to set out to win each individual day. It could be at the expense of more stars, if they attack based on playing safe and staying ahead of their oppo, rather than simply looking to maximise their score.

Another scenario that can have huge effect, is towards the end. There are cases whereby clans lose interest, or simply give in, and stop loading their cc. Of course this is luck of the draw, as to whom you face when, but can have as big of an influence or more come close of play.

I would be fine with them taking away the 10 star bonus tho, as I am fine with whatever they decide, including the use of the said bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by joshsgrandad View Post
    To be fair.. I am either or, so long as they announce the change prior to the start.
    I can see your point, it is valid. But i can also see the alternative, whereby the clan with most wins may ease ahead.

There are, of course, always ifs and buts.. What if a clan strategy is to set out to win each individual day. It could be at the expense of more stars, if they attack based on playing safe and staying ahead of their oppo, rather than simply looking to maximise their score.

Another scenario that can have huge effect, is towards the end. There are cases whereby clans lose interest, or simply give in, and stop loading their cc. Of course this is luck of the draw, as to whom you face when, but can have as big of an influence or more come close of play.

I would be fine with them taking away the 10 star bonus tho, as I am fine with whatever they decide, including the use of the said bonus.
    Pretty much the same here. We can play what if all day long and find scenarios where one or the other would be better. Personally, I like the emphasis on wins. But as long as we know the rules, I could live with either.
    sig by dharmaraj in sig shop
    Clan: MN ICE #8UCRP8CL
    IGN: Piper139 #2PQQR9Q22

Centennial Club
    I can tell you this. We are in Crystal 3 and ended up in 3rd place. We won 1 out of 7 wars. We had 8365% total destruction, the most of all clans. The first place team had around 7000% and about 10-15 more stars. Were it not for the 10 stars per win then we would have taken first place with winning only 1 out of 7 wars. So yeah, the 10 extra stars are necessary.

look at it also from the flip side. sometimes your clan isn't ready to compete at a higher league. by managing an intentional loss, forfeiting the 10 star bonus to the right opponent can help your clan take 3rd and stay in a better league for you ability and push the other clan into 2nd.
    Last edited by HonoraryGoblin; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HonoraryGoblin View Post
    look at it also from the flip side. sometimes your clan isn't ready to compete at a higher league. by managing an intentional loss, forfeiting the 10 star bonus to the right opponent can help your clan take 3rd and stay in a better league for you ability and push the other clan into 2nd.
    Thankfully clans now are punished with less medals for doing that. If they don't tank they move up and win more medals next season, even if it is only for one season before being pushed back down.
    Contact SC here. Click here to see how trophies are calculated. I'm still thinking starting the "new" legends at Legends2 at 5500 and having Legends3 be for 5000-5499 would be good (with season resets to 5000 and 5500 depending on your trophies at season end) but overall I LOVE the Legends change. Thanks SC.

Quote Originally Posted by 2222 View Post
    Thankfully clans now are punished with less medals for doing that. If they don't tank they move up and win more medals next season, even if it is only for one season before being pushed back down.
    you get more bonus packs to distribute for intentionally taking 3rd in the lower league than for taking 7th or 8th in higher league. until you can place 6th or above in higher league you are better managing 3rd in lower league and building bases

you also get more war loot and more clan xp for going 5-2 than for going 1-6. these also help guys in clan build their bases
    Last edited by HonoraryGoblin; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:09 PM.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by HonoraryGoblin View Post
    you get more bonus packs to distribute for intentionally taking 3rd in the lower league than for taking 7th or 8th in higher league. until you can place 6th or above in higher league you are better managing 3rd in lower league and building bases

you also get more war loot and more clan xp for going 5-2 than for going 1-6. these also help guys in clan build their bases
    Or you could even treat cwl more like random spin. See how far you can go, and dont worry too much about the loot.
    That is simply a bonus for many of us. The quest to succeed is the primary goal.

Quote Originally Posted by zank44 View Post
    I like the bonus stars for a win. The clan being promoted should be the one that was able to win most of not all of the individual wars.
    .... .
    I agree, which is exactly why I am against the current system. Awarding 10 stars to the winner of each round, and then counting the total stars earned is not the same as counting wins.

They should track wins and losses. Whomever has the most wins, not stars, is the first place team. If there is a tie, then use number of stars as a tiebreaker. Under the system they have in place, a team could go 7-0, winning every war, yet be placed lower than a team that went 6-1, or even 5-2.
    Boom! Aimlessly adrift within the archapeligo
    Clash! ​Adult PuddleHop
    #PR2P0R0C