Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hood nearly imploded over Blossom Derby

Yesterday I had to bite my tongue.
    One of my elders deleted two EASY blossom tasks because "the timing on those tasks doesn't work for her". Feed and eggs! I typed and erased several comments. I took a deep breath and told her that it isn't about HER. That everyone has favorite tasks and tasks they hate. I listed all the members of our neighborhood that have posted how much they LIKE feeding and egg tasks.
    What I wanted to say... TIMING??? Lets talk about the 2 days you sat on a spa task that three neighbors asked for after you. 2 days when 3 players had their spas packed with the right number of spa people. 2 days when 3 players who wanted the task asked you when you thought you might be done.
    ***Deleting task you hate.... I hate and I do mean HATE truck tasks, so should I delete all of HER favorite tasks because I hate them? How fair would that be? Would being selfish like that make me a good leader?
    **** Sitting on tasks... don't even get me started. She has 3 tasks after 5 days. Tasks that if she finished others could have taken instead of non blossom tasks.
    We did get another egg task and within 3 hours it was at 375. But I didn't rub it in.
    Neighborhoods are a team. Elders, co- leaders and leaders have to know their team and work for the good of all. Putting your needs or the derby before that....
    Heart in Hands
    Silver chicken on a purple heart.
    Tag #8OU9VOOV
    Mother Hen
    Tag#LVQYJVPC

I know that this thread is specifically about blossom derbies but the talk about respect for fellow NH players has me thinking about my situation in every derby.

A couple of our NH players are opted in but do, maybe, only 1 or 2 tasks each week. Sitting on a 320 boat task all week for example - whilst I'm busting a gut all week to do all my tasks at as high a point rate as I can because I want to achieve as many horseshoes as I can. In the end, due to players being opted in but not doing tasks, after all my work I end up with 3 or 4 threshold rewards to choose, if I'm lucky. But the majorly galling fact is that those other players get the same amount of rewards after barely playing.

I have been in this NH since NHs were created & I like some of the banter but I get pretty bitter every week about the Derby. I don't feel I can really say anything because we are a 'casual derby' hood & nobody, incl. Leader (who is increasingly absent lately), seems to have come up with any particular derby playing rules. Half of the players don't seem to understand how some of the special derbies work - it's THAT casual!!

One of the players, who opts in but barely takes part, was opted in a couple of weeks ago but didn't do any tasks & so was automatically opted out the following week. Next time they were playing they obviously opted themselves back in to the derby because they are opted in again this week, yet they have not played, nor done any derby tasks, all this week so far. All whilst I'm attempting to orchestrate blossom tasks to get the most out of the derby despite the non-playing players. It's exasperating!

I think my only option at this point, seeing as I'd like to get more out of the derby for my pains, is to leave this hood & potentially play solo. It saddens me to have to do that though when all it would take in my current NH is for other players to be fairer & a bit more respectful.

Quote Originally Posted by JemimaPD View Post
    I know that this thread is specifically about blossom derbies but the talk about respect for fellow NH players has me thinking about my situation in every derby.

A couple of our NH players are opted in but do, maybe, only 1 or 2 tasks each week. Sitting on a 320 boat task all week for example - whilst I'm busting a gut all week to do all my tasks at as high a point rate as I can because I want to achieve as many horseshoes as I can. In the end, due to players being opted in but not doing tasks, after all my work I end up with 3 or 4 threshold rewards to choose, if I'm lucky. But the majorly galling fact is that those other players get the same amount of rewards after barely playing.

I have been in this NH since NHs were created & I like some of the banter but I get pretty bitter every week about the Derby. I don't feel I can really say anything because we are a 'casual derby' hood & nobody, incl. Leader (who is increasingly absent lately), seems to have come up with any particular derby playing rules. Half of the players don't seem to understand how some of the special derbies work - it's THAT casual!!

One of the players, who opts in but barely takes part, was opted in a couple of weeks ago but didn't do any tasks & so was automatically opted out the following week. Next time they were playing they obviously opted themselves back in to the derby because they are opted in again this week, yet they have not played, nor done any derby tasks, all this week so far. All whilst I'm attempting to orchestrate blossom tasks to get the most out of the derby despite the non-playing players. It's exasperating!

I think my only option at this point, seeing as I'd like to get more out of the derby for my pains, is to leave this hood & potentially play solo. It saddens me to have to do that though when all it would take in my current NH is for other players to be fairer & a bit more respectful.
    I think your only option is to find a better neighborhood. I was in a similar situation as you and getting bored with the game. My old hood had nice people but I got about 90% of the derby points and it annoyed me to no end that people who did 0-1 tasks benefited from my work. I ended up finding a neighborhood of like minded people and am much happier!

Keeping on topic, yes, our neighborhood did have a rough time with a couple of blossom derbys. For most derbys, we agree to max point tasks only and everyone is pretty much left to do their thing to get their tasks done. For blossom though, I'd like to think the last couple have gone pretty well. We have one person doing the coordinating and task selection and we try to make sure that we communicate with everyone who is participating what to expect for tasks and what is expected of everyone for derby.

We had a similar situation when Blossom Derby’s first started but they are a doddle for us now. We had 15 people opted in and finished in 2 days.
    Communication is the key, leadership and choosing tasks carefully. I opted out this week but we are lucky to have a great team with strong co-leaders.

We concentrate on quick crops and easy tasks, never take any unless we can do in at least a couple of hours and trash all production, baskets etc. We did a couple of Town tasks because everyone had their townies ready to go.

It also helps to have a means of communicating outside the game (we use Messenger) so that leaders can make sure everyone knows our strategy.
    It’s simple...don’t take a task and then sit on it (or even worse, sleep on it). Don’t fill fields with long growing crops, empty your silo to make room and sell crops from tasks at 1 coin to make room for more.
    We also use farm name to show which tasks we are waiting to do (eg Ann-Wheat, corn1m carrots) that way we know when a task has been completed by the team and can safely trash it.
    Clover íGirls' 20+ adult, male & female, English speaking players from around the world. 100+ cups in Champ League. Ten tasks @320/400 or opt out.
    Level 80+ please.
    Look for white dog, pink heart #2GPVQCVC

Blossom Derby is a nightmare for me. I play Solo, so I can’t actually ‘do’ the BD (and try as I might, I can’t think of anyway for SC to make it inclusive) so it’s, in therory, just a regular Derby. Except it’s not. Something in the programming means that 320 tasks don’t come up as often. It’s very difficult to get my 10 on the board to do a sprint finish. I’m glad they’re not too frequent.
    ROB MY CHARLATAN PLEASE KIK/MSG ME xx

Level 159 (49 Town)
    KIK: SmallChange2015
    🇬🇧 GMT+1. Trade with existing GC or Farm Tags (No FB)

Quote Originally Posted by Commitedsugar7 View Post
    So...our hood nearly imploded yesterday as there were 2 players who for life reasons didnít get on to do blossom tasks. There were some harsh words exchanged...we are usually a pretty laid back and supportive hood. We are dealing with 3 or so time zones...UK, USA AND Western Canada. So itís a bit shocking to be experiencing stress over a derby. We value our hood mates more than taking a trophy.
    You can imagine that feelings were hurt. It looks like the situation with a lot of discussions and apologies this morning may have repaired the situation.

What have you experienced during Blossom derby...good and bad please? and how is it all handled by leader/co leader.

thank you
    I'm sure instructions and strategy were discussed before blossom derby started Communication and teamwork are so essential. IT is fast and furious . 2 people not showing up? Was there no communication to the leader. Seems suspect to me Complete disregard for the team Abolutely life happens, but part of that is responsibility to other people. The leader had every right to know what happpened. It's the disrespect to the entire group that is so harmful

Great posts by everyone
    I wasn’t part of the Blossom derby this week....but ended up taking a break and leaving.
    I find the harshness that comes with game competitiveness a little hard to endure.
    A great hood and I will miss many aspects of game play...but I guess I am just not competitive in that way.
    Best of luck to you all with upcoming Derby’s...and again thanks for all the input!

Centennial Club
    Communication is fundamental. Beyond that, consensus on expectations is essential. Is opting in mandatory for all derbies, or optional? Are only max-point tasks to be taken, or is there a range? Are there any tasks that should be tossed? Otherwise, who should toss tasks and when? And, of course, one has to remain aware of the effects of the broader environment from special events. If a "Grow more wheat" special event is on, the paper may be full of wheat at 1 coin, and taking a task that requires growing (and selling or using) another 900 wheat may not be the best choice.
    Farm Tag #29C9L8RGL
    Lvl 160ish Barn 5000ish Silo 5000ish
    Neighborhood #2CU9R88C "Barnstormers" -- seeking an English-speaking active Champions-league derby player lv 40+ from Pacific area (AK/HI/NZ)

Quote Originally Posted by Commitedsugar7 View Post
    So...our hood nearly imploded yesterday as there were 2 players who for life reasons didnít get on to do blossom tasks. There were some harsh words exchanged...we are usually a pretty laid back and supportive hood. We are dealing with 3 or so time zones...UK, USA AND Western Canada. So itís a bit shocking to be experiencing stress over a derby. We value our hood mates more than taking a trophy.
    You can imagine that feelings were hurt. It looks like the situation with a lot of discussions and apologies this morning may have repaired the situation.

What have you experienced during Blossom derby...good and bad please? and how is it all handled by leader/co leader.

thank you
    And then they follow it with bingo. Good luck in surviving as a hood. Bingo can be even more frustrating as in bigger hoods, always disagreement whether points or bingo lines take precedence.

Our key to success in the blossom Derby has been in getting people to opt out I think! I always post a couple of messages stressing the importance of communication and team work and it seems to make people think twice about opting in. Most of out tasks were done the first day or so and as we operate across time zones we change our farm names to indicate what tasks we've done. It works ok but it does need a lot of coordination and some patience with people who still don't 'get it' (sigh).