Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 189

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Not doing gold pass? You get what you dont pay for!

  1. #61
    It’s the stealth subscription model at $5/month. Maxed out my Boom account and can see myself twiddling thumbs again here, so no gold pass for me. Still a bit of a grind left.

  2. #62
    Centennial Club
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddydaycare View Post
    It’s the stealth subscription model at $5/month. Maxed out my Boom account and can see myself twiddling thumbs again here, so no gold pass for me. Still a bit of a grind left.
    Gland someone here sees sense!

  3. #63
    The in game currency is gems and this is what you should use to buy the gold pass, if you have enough use them, if not buy some more. That solution should work for everyone.

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by Moaner View Post
    The game used to be more F2P but is more and more becoming P2P.

    This new gold pass is just another example of this.Before this they started the so called Ďbundlesí that you could buy. Now they are promoting this with the fact you need to pay if hou want new skin..this is a massive psychological way of encouraging those who dont want other rewards but just want that.

    i can understand if there were new content eg th13, but i cannot see anything new except troop or defence levels...so where is the money going to? Are they making improvements to builder island or doing something about clouds?

    So yes it is still F2P but more snd more it is pushing people to part with their cash.

    I also see people saying its only a small amount of money..ok, you work out how many thousands of players have bought this and then do the maths on the money sc will raise .

    so basically sc should make it so if they do introduce these challenges make it at least a bit worthwhile to do for those silver players..at least let them also get 1 free skin for example!
    Skins have nothing to do with playing, so I dont follow the logic of your argument that the game is shifting more towards pay to play because silver tier cant collect a skin. Them using an awesome and very popular method to generate revenue is in no way shifting towards pay to play.

    As far as perks go, from what I have seen is for just about every new perk they add that you can pay for, they also give a nod to the f2p player by allowing them to participate. Gem mine, Clan games, Cwl hammers, Silver tier... all nods to f2p players. Do you realize paying for gold pass doesnt even unlock more challenges? Both silver and gold share the same set of challenges. Its less pay to play and more pay to perk, as it has always been. As it has become more convenient for those who pay its also more convenient for all.

    Id say its a bit worthwhile to do the silver tier considering how easy some of these challenges are.
    Last edited by MiddleC; April 3rd, 2019 at 08:14 AM.

  5. #65
    Centennial Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    169
    I have 3 accounts, one which is max. One max 10 and the other about 2 months from being max 10 also. I work on one account at a time. The big one isnít an issue with each update that drops but itís too much for me to farm across 3 accounts. I will definitely purchase the monthly gold pass on the base that Iím working on. The bonuses and time saved are huge for such a small cost. I can now see a time where I will have 3 max accounts. Bring it on!
    rst1985 | BK 65 | AQ 65 | GW 40
    Clan Leader 'aussie' #G00UC98L

  6. #66
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Torque city
    Posts
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by MiddleC View Post
    By played their way, do you mean played their way for free?

    Being someone who bought the gold pass and will wear the skin, I feel as much shame from the ironically prideful f2p players who claim I paid my way, as I do from a homeless person who slants his eyes at me as I walk out of the convenience store with a candy bar. Sorry homie, I work for mines and will spend it how I please.

    I have no problem with f2p players. I have a problem when a f2p or p2p player disrespects the other party and attempts to shame them as if one or the other is not necessary for the survival of the ecosystem that both share. Its the equivalent of shaming your left hand because its not as dextrous as your right.
    Of course I mean for free, you know that. I understand the justifications but as I said, the stigma is there whether you like it or not. I for one am proud of making my way to nearly max th12 without spending anything. It shows commitment, steadfastness, patience and is an achievement to be proud of. People assume rightly or wrongly that those who have played they way, not paid their way are better players. That stands to reason as you will need to have played and become well practiced to have got to the max th without fast tracking it there. I appreciate all those who do pay so that the game remains as good as it is, so thank you for allowing me to play for free.

  7. #67
    Forum Hero Noctaire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,805
    I thought we hashed this all out in the Season Challenges announcement thread.

    First and foremost - anyone who says this is P2P/P2W, or that it is becoming such...you do not understand how those models work or what a P2P/P2W game looks like. In a P2P model, it’s just that - you pay to actually play the game. F2P players need not apply because you’re not playing. In a P2W model, you can play but you’ll never get very far and you most certainly will never max out the game much less be competitive at the upper ranks. Clearly, neither of these are the case with Clash.

    To those who think this move of offering something for cash only is unprecedented...it is not. We’ve had other decorations that were cash only, most notably the snowman and pig. Regardless, keep in mind - the Gold Pass does NOT give you an advantage in the game. It reduces time investment and the wait - sometimes called, “Pay 2 Skip” - nothing more.

    It’s not a subscription (not even a “stealth” subscription) and no matter how much some may want to call it that, it simply does not fit the criteria. A subscription has recurring payment and multiple terms of issue. You can buy it or not and a new one is available each month. Consider a magazine - if I walk into a book store and buy a copy of Wired magazine each month, is that a subscription?

    In-game currency...Clash has several and Season Challenges just introduced another. Gold, Elixir, Dark Elixir, CWL medals, Builder Gold, Builder Elixir, Gems, and now Challenge Points - these are all examples of in-game currency utilized by Clash. It’s a hallmark device used in freemium games and a requirement for monetization. It’s necessary to spread the currencies out to generate revenue.

    As has been explained in other threads, using in-game currency to purchase any game enhancements of any kind is risky to profits and usually requires devaluing the currency in some fashion, either by reducing its direct value or its availability/accessibility within the game. If the GSP were made available for Gems, then there would be zero profit at 500 gems because more than that is generated for free in-game. In fact, all of the in-game currencies are highly accessible for free. It’s a balancing act here, so to use Gems and still make a profit, they would need to set the cost high enough to exceed the availability of Gems in-game. The pass would cost close to 2000 Gems - roughly $20 per month. The better alternative...charge cash direct and offer it for a much lower cost.

    There are precious few games like Clash that are F2P friendly and most are nowhere near so to this degree. SuperCell is a business with all the attendant expenses - salaries, capital expenses, facilities...the works. They also have investors to answer to and must generate the right profit margins to keep things moving forward. The last thing you want is for your IP to become more valuable than your profit generating products/services as that makes you ripe to dismantle and sell.

    The GSP is a solid offering and it is priced well for the industry/market. Combined with all the in-game cost/time reductions of the last year or thereabouts and significantly increased in-game resource generation that has been added, the F2P player has never had it so good and SC has asserted its position as a leader in deploying and maturing this business model to the immense benefit of both investors and consumers alike.
    Clan/Task Force: Divergent Void (#P8CGRG0C / #8GG02YRP)
    Noc's Clash Journal
    Gaming with Noc (Videos)
    Chance favors the prepared mind; quit yer whingein' and find a solution.


  8. #68
    Millennial Club LordSk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    1,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Moaner View Post
    Gland someone here sees sense!

    should read:

    Glad someone here agrees with me
    No matter how often you repeat it, Clash of Clans is not more P2P/P2W as it was years ago. You can still reach exactly the same as players who do invest money in the game.
    - Pay to play games require you to pay, that is in the name. Clash of Clans does not require any money investment.
    - Pay to win games make it virtually impossible to progress without paying. In clash you can become a maxed TH 12 without ever spending a dime.

    What we have seen in the last 1-2 years it that we are getting more and more free stuff, while at the same time we are getting more and more offers that do require money. So players that can resist drawing their wallet can progress faster then ever, players who cannot (or do not want) to resist the offers progress even faster then that.

    The new gold pass is in no way a stealth subscription for the game. It does, however, tempt people to buy the pass every month. That is only a bad thing if you have issues resisting the temptation but actually cannot afford it.

  9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #69
    Cowboy Holps's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    I'll genuinely miss you guys. Stay Frosty.
    Posts
    8,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Blibners View Post
    I don't mind at all supporting the game or creators, but this is the first time SuperCell has ever made an in-game item that is impossible to get without paying. Typically, you just need to wait if you don't want to shell out real cash. Not so with this update. This tiny change means you can't fully experience the game without paying cash.

    I get it. It's just a skin. But it's actually a larger philosophical shift, and one I expect they'll lean into with future updates. Not a fan.

    The rest of the update I love.
    This gave me pause for thought and is a good point. I have spent money on this game many times over the years but there has never been anything I cant achieve through hard work so it felt as though I was never being forced to spend...that's the beauty of Clash compared to Royale.
    As you say it is only a skin but If I can't achieve it any other way over time it's a line being crossed. I'm a big fan of the game and remain so, a big fan of Supercell and remain so but not a fan of that new principal.
    I have always loved the fact that spending only speeds progress it doesn't get you into a part of the plane F2P guys cant get to. Let's see how it goes in the future and hope they keep the benefits small and cosmetic or even give players a way of earning the skins through hard graft.

  10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #70
    Cowboy Holps's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    I'll genuinely miss you guys. Stay Frosty.
    Posts
    8,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddydaycare View Post
    It’s the stealth subscription model at $5/month. Maxed out my Boom account and can see myself twiddling thumbs again here, so no gold pass for me. Still a bit of a grind left.
    It's not Stealth....it's not hidden..it's out there waving it's flag proudly...Nobody could ever call the shop and offers stealthy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •