Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Why did you add that a password now needs to be 14 characters?

Pro Member

Why did you add that a password now needs to be 14 characters?

My old password would not work so i had to reset it, i will never remember the new one that the forum created

I tried to change it to one that i would remember

I could not, said it had to be atleast 14 characters long and i have no passwords that i can think of that long, my main password is only 9 long

Why make it harder for someone to remember their password

Gonna either have to copy paste it from my email every time(security risk having my username and password left in an email if my email is hacked) or i will have to reset my password every time it logs me out
    Last edited by LokiGodOfChaos; March 27th, 2019 at 11:56 PM.
    I had a signature once. then I misplaced it
    signature

If I remember correctly, the strong password condition came to this forum when the EU mandated such. Yes, by law. https://eugdpr.org/the-regulation/gdpr-faqs/
    Boom! Aimlessly adrift within the archapeligo
    Clash! ​Adult PuddleHop
    #PR2P0R0C

Pro Member
    So europe messed up something else
    I had a signature once. then I misplaced it
    signature

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    No, Europe did not mess it up.

There is NO requirement in EU law for passwords to be that long, it was just our admins going over the top.

I don't know of any other site that requires more than 8 characters in passwords. They do now require them to be stronger, which means there usually must be a mixture if case and some non alphabetic characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grill View Post
    But when something like an update is to be expected all stupid breaks loose and it just becomes an idiot storm of catastrophic proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Maverick View Post
    Any more balance to th10 will make th10 broken...
    My stats (main account)

I have not made an easy enough password but a password that I can easily remember and I don't even need to log in every time I open because I very less times log out

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
    As a person that works in IT security I would have to say, in my experience, that a lot of user passwords are, at best, poor and, at worst, asking for trouble. They often represent the weakest link in a chain which, once compromised, is irrecoverable.

In the absence of two-factor authentication, I would always recommend use of a password manager (for instance, PasswordSafe) which allows you to create complex passwords without a requirement to remember them. Most of my own are 12 characters long containing upper case & lower case letters, numbers and special characters. I only have to remember one password for the "safe" and I can then copy/paste them out of the safe into the site.
    Last edited by Bakunin; March 28th, 2019 at 12:17 PM.

7.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakunin View Post
    As a person that works in IT security I would have to say, in my experience, that a lot of user passwords are, at best, poor and, at worst, asking for trouble. They often represent the weakest link in a chain which, once compromised, is irrecoverable.

In the absence of two-factor authentication, I would always recommend use of a password manager (for instance, PasswordSafe) which allows you to create complex passwords without a requirement to remember them. Most of my own are 12 characters long containing upper case & lower case letters, numbers and special characters. I only have to remember one password for the "safe" and I can then copy/paste them out of the safe into the site.
    I do the same, using lastpass, and I have that set up with 2 factor authentication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grill View Post
    But when something like an update is to be expected all stupid breaks loose and it just becomes an idiot storm of catastrophic proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Maverick View Post
    Any more balance to th10 will make th10 broken...
    My stats (main account)

Thanks a lot Bakunin, I've been having troubles with passwords as i have a lot of Accounts (different websites and apps) and people always Suggest that don't keep the same password at multiple locations so it's difficult for me to remember each and everyone.

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    I do the same, using lastpass, and I have that set up with 2 factor authentication.
    Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Bakunin View Post
    Perfect
    Yeah...making PASSs with complex password makers is nice but you can just get a folder securer and keep your password safe from any application. You can use batch coding to lock folders