Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Delay Start of derby

Pro Member
    alternate between San Diego and Baltimore, USA
    There seemed to be confusion in some of the above comments as to when our hood is matched...It's not when you first tap on the derby board and see all the tasks. It's when soomeone in your hood selects the first task. The hoods matched to yours that ended up with zero points are likely to be ones who didn't know how it works...they may even be ones who didn't know they can delete undesired tasks. They may not know they can delete tasks without being matched.

Our original reason for the delay start was because back then hoods starting late (in the order of 5 to 10 hours late) tended to be less competitive. We had members from all over the world with different time zones, so we had to pick a start time convenient to most members, and yet allowed us to have time to fill the board up with good tasks. Now more and more people know about the delay-start strategy so it's likely to be matched with a few competitive hoods. It only takes one competitive hood to claim first place.

Now, we are a hood of 15 but only one or two would opt in. I have found for this small number opting in, it's likely for us to come across other hoods as prepared as we are no matter what time we start. It's a matter of how lucky we are and how frequent the 320-pt tasks are showing up (frequency seems variable but it's been so much better than couple years ago), but since we are very well prepped in all the production tasks, we usually beat everyone else. As for the Power derby with 19 tasks (Champ League) to complete, I like to start early and get them done.

I know of people who play solo and they wait for a few days until their board is totally filled with good 320-pt tasks. My machines are all fully stacked and double stacked. I would not want to tie up my machines for several days. I like combo (basket) tasks and town tasks and totally prepped for them. With the rule of 4, I would like to take those tasks first so more would show up.

Xtalline, thank you for your explanation.

5 leagues of derby and 30 size possible, that gives 30*5 = 150 pools possible. A race of a specific derby size in a derby league is one of those pools. The more crowded the pool is, the less incentive the "delayed start" strategy is. Overtime, I can't help but think there are way much more solo derby players nowadays, especially since the change of column threshold that gives solo derby players the possibility to reach last column. Within small hood size, organisation is often easier thus they can stay in higher league.

I was skeptical about "when does derby start" because the general testimonial is not conclusive on its own. I trust them to tell what they believe is true, it was their interpretation that I am skeptical about. Long story, no more important now.

But since then, a friend told me she was able to match with another friend in the same race by syncing start time where they take the first task, despite having trashed task and prepare the board before. That is interesting and enough for me to eliminate other possibilities about start time.

Also, my sun task for Valley changed as soon as I took part in derby (completing task), I am now a happy trucker who needs to complete derby task for sun points. The Power derby certainly helps!

Now with the mystery "derby start" uncoverd, I am fully satisfied and will go find someone I know to race agaisnt in the same race. This sounds fun .
    Welcome to the forum *Meow* ! Official Support : Choose your game. Report abuse/spam - UTC Time conversion (add your city)

Valley info : Map - Basic rules - Chicken - Fuel station - Lucky bonus

#AdvoCat :: Hay Day Lv 146♩♬ :: Defenseless TH10 :: Rushed TH12 ::

What fun it would be to put together a derby of forumite friends!
    Leader Spiritís Peace
    Competitve Champion League
    Now accepting new members​

Quote Originally Posted by themammabear View Post
    What fun it would be to put together a derby of forumite friends!
    Oh yes, we can have a few rules and make it our very own bingo derby!
    Welcome to the forum *Meow* ! Official Support : Choose your game. Report abuse/spam - UTC Time conversion (add your city)

Quote Originally Posted by meonhoc View Post
    Yes please report back what you find out.

The descriptions from others on forum are not enough to convinced me that no other instance could trigger derby matching for one hood. Of course we can only see the animation of horse racing once first task taken, but there has been lots of farms that stay 0 point till end of derby, so what placed them in the same group of me ? Curious cat wants to know.
    It begins when when you open up the task board, as you get assigned your competition, it seems....and they start without you.

- Derby started on Tuesday AM (1AM local)
    - Task board clicked open Wednesday ~Noon, no tasks were taken.
    - First task taken Thursday PM. There were some hoods with instantly up to 8 or 9 tasks already completed.

There ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by themammabear View Post
    Derby starts when you take your first task. We opened the derby board when derby started UTC didnít take a task for 4 hours. Only 4 of us in the race. 18 opted in.
    See above.
    Last edited by AutomaticBzooty; May 24th, 2020 at 05:13 AM.

Thanks for reporting.

You did not mention your derby size and league. If that is not a popular configuration, group are formed slowly (the 15th hood can take a long time to appear) which could explain why some hood are already ahead.

During this same week, I am doing solo derby player in Expert league. I have not trashed any task and took my first task on Wednesday night (about 38h after Derby start). I was 8th as soon as I joined, #1 had 640pts and #2 320pts only, all others had 0pt. Other hoods got to 320pts shortly later, sign that they prepared for the task before taking it (which requires opening derby stand before). All of this point to a group newly formed not so long ago.

The top 2 reached maximum points from 17 tasks within 18h since I joined. Hard to believe they haven't open derby stand in order to prepare for all the quick task before joining the race.