Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Delay Start of derby

Delay Start of derby

A new member asked me this question upon arrival to our hood. I tried to remember all of what was said here in the forum but I cant remember the reasoning in it entirety. We don't do a late start but just was asking what benefits?

Many NHs now use the delay start, so it’s effectiveness may have changed. The benefit of delay start is that you are matched with possibly more casual NHs. NHs that start early are perceived as eager to get started so that they can get ahead. NHs are matched when the first task is taken, so if you start as soon as the derby starts you may be matched with these eager beavers. Where if you wait, you have time to have many favorable tasks on the board and prepped, so that when you do actually start your NH can jump into the lead by finishing several tasks quickly.
    Level 166
    Achievement 144/144 (24 Apr 2019)
    🐝 kind. 🤗

Banned
    Answer to a question I shared with one of my co-leaders. I'm wondering though if someone could explain how neighborhoods are matched when the first task is taken. Within moments of Derby starting, I can see the other neighborhoods our 'hood has been matched with. What am I missing?

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyri View Post
    Answer to a question I shared with one of my co-leaders. I'm wondering though if someone could explain how neighborhoods are matched when the first task is taken. Within moments of Derby starting, I can see the other neighborhoods our 'hood has been matched with. What am I missing?
    It seems to me to be sheer force of numbers. I have no statistics, but the huge number of neighbourhoods around the world will be a factor.

My hood always practises a delayed start. On some weeks we join a race that is well under way; we might be the fourteenth hood, for example.

This week when we joined there were only a couple of other teams. When I checked a few moment later, there were eight. It wasn't long before there were 15 teams racing.

There have been one or two memorable weeks when we raced against fewer teams. Presumably on those occasions there were not enough hoods with the same number opted in to make a full race. I wonder if there is a time limit after which no others join an on-going race.

Hay Day level 187 (main farm) - I have seven others!

We had 16 opted in this week. We do a 5 hour delayed start. We started out with only 2 horses in the race and eventually grew to 6. By the end of the first day we has 8 hoods racing. This never changed. This was the first time since the inception of derby that we have ever raced with less than 15 teams.

In answer to the OP, I still believe that delayed start is very effective although not foolproof in eliminating stiff competition. The secret is in finding the sweet spot for your size hood. In my personal experience, a two person hood is better delaying for days while you prep your board, then start when your board is full and all items are prepped. A midsize hood needs to be tweaked by hours and may be fluid. We started with 3, then 4, now 5. I think the change was due to more hoods catching on to the benefit. In a large hood, a delayed start has little if any benefit.
    Leader Spiritís Peace
    Competitve Champion League
    Now accepting new members​

Start at opening task board or, taking the first task?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowslips View Post
    It seems to me to be sheer force of numbers. I have no statistics, but the huge number of neighbourhoods around the world will be a factor.

Ö..

There have been one or two memorable weeks when we raced against fewer teams. Presumably on those occasions there were not enough hoods with the same number opted in to make a full race. I wonder if there is a time limit after which no others join an on-going race.

Curious, if your derby starts only until you take on a first task.

It is two-milestone process in order to see whom you are competing against.

1. Click the Derby task board (then the tasks show up)

[if you check standings, your NH has to of started one task]

2. Select first task.

Curious if you start at #1 or #2.

We accidentally clicked on the board this week, but did not grab a task. Will wait until Thursday to begin and report back.

/bzooty

Derby starts when you take your first task. We opened the derby board when derby started UTC didnít take a task for 4 hours. Only 4 of us in the race. 18 opted in.
    Leader Spiritís Peace

Quote Originally Posted by AutomaticBzooty View Post
    Curious, if your derby starts only until you take on a first task.

It is two-milestone process in order to see whom you are competing against.

1. Click the Derby task board (then the tasks show up)

[if you check standings, your NH has to of started one task]

2. Select first task.

Curious if you start at #1 or #2.

We accidentally clicked on the board this week, but did not grab a task. Will wait until Thursday to begin and report back.

/bzooty
    Yes please report back what you find out.

The descriptions from others on forum are not enough to convinced me that no other instance could trigger derby matching for one hood. Of course we can only see the animation of horse racing once first task taken, but there has been lots of farms that stay 0 point till end of derby, so what placed them in the same group of me ? Curious cat wants to know.
    Welcome to the forum *Meow* ! Official Support : Choose your game. Report abuse/spam - UTC Time conversion (add your city)

Valley info : Map - Basic rules - Chicken - Fuel station - Lucky bonus

#AdvoCat :: Hay Day Lv 147♩♬ :: Defenseless TH10 :: Rushed TH12 ::

These r people who take a task but never complete them.
    Leader Spiritís Peace

We've tried both, and I think a delayed start made the competition tougher. My theory was the more organized the neighborhood, the more likely it is that they are doing a delayed start, so you're just going to get paired against them. We quit this a long time ago, though.
    We haven't faced any real derby competition in months. The only time we have lost is when a member makes a mistake.
    So based on all of these posts, do whatever you want! Inconclusive data....