Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CWL, spying and additional war layouts

South East of China, not that far away from Shanghai, or Hong Kong, just where my heart is...

CWL, spying and additional war layouts

I haven't really found answers anywhere, and anytime I bring this up in other threads, it gets overlooked even if there are several mods, Darian included, present, so here I am, making my own thread for it.

Let me bring last CWL as an example - we were in group with 7 other clans, out of which 3 came (presumably, considering their names, language in the clan description, and names of the clans) from the same country. Here's the scenario:

1st war against a clan from the same country, we won without any problems
    2nd war against a clan from the same country, we lost
    3rd war against a clan from the same country, we lost

Considering we're currently in M1 league, and I do admit some of our clannies including myself still have a thing or two to learn, it wouldn't be that much of a suprising thing.

The thing is, we're pretty sure that those three clans shared the replays among themselves and thus ensured they'll win wars, here's why:

A) Second war, they already knew where the traps were (any half-skilled attacker will know if this is the case, come on, we all attack bases which were scouted before)
    B) Third war, they already knew where the traps were, and used identical attacks on most of our bases as the players from the second one (same compositions, very similar deployment, same results or better).

Can we prove they did this? Of course not - how could we possibly? Even if the attacks were EXACTLY the same, one can argue that it was a "coincidence" and no such thing as sharing replays occured. Could we prove that some members from each clan visited the other clans? Surely, but does it prove they shared replays? No.

So my questions are:

1: Is this against the TOS?
    2: Is this according to the TOS?
    3: What can we do to prevent it?

As the first and second questions can be only answered by officials, I brought this thread up to discuss the third:

1: SC could rework the sytem of CLW replays, that they'd be only available after the whole CWL is over.
    - Is it going to work? Partialy, I think, because people could still simply use third-party programs to record the attack as they do it and share it anyways. It would fix it for most clans though, since I don't believe many would go this far to do it, but the option is still there, and it'd be outside of SC's reach to do anything about that.

2: Replays only visible to participants during that particular war in CWL
    - Is it going to work? I think people would be a lot happier if they could still see what they did right (or wrong), and people from different clans couldn't see the replays even if they joined. Similarly however, people from original clans couldn't see the war replays unless they participate in that current war. I think people would be quite unhappy about the fact that they can't comment on other people's attacks even if they're in the same clan.

3: Lock the clans during CWL
    - I don't need to state why this wouldn't work.

4: Changing layouts after each war
    - Surely, we can change our base layouts after each war - we do, after all, have 6 available. Or do we? With the current price for additional layouts, I'd have to force at least 15 members of my clan (myself included) to spend 4500 gems for the layouts to fix a flaw in system that I haven't created only to be able to protect myself from (in my opinion) cheaters.

4500x15=67500 gems for 15 people just to prevent others to spy on our bases. Sorry, but even if I decided to do that, there's no way I can force others. And that brings me to another part of this post:

Isn't Clash of Clans f2p? Wasn't it always that the non-paying and paying users pretty much had the same thing, just the paying users had it faster? And no, I'm not talking about seasonal obstacles that we can buy for real money, or shovels - even they appear in Clan Games from time to time - those are not going to make any difference where skill should in CWL. Especially right now, where one lost war pretty much means bye-bye to promotion...

And more importantly - even if SC provides us with enough gems in game, it'd take about a year to save enough to buy all three additional layouts. The question, however, is why should we buy them with gems to begin with? It isn't our fault that the system allows this, it isn't our fault that people do that, it isn't our fault that this is pretty much the only 100% sure way to counter that - during the regular wars, we can easily prevent it by not inviting anyone to our clan that we don't trust - here, we can:

a) just sit and watch and hope people won't share the replays
    b) wait until we save 4500 gems each (and I'm pretty sure where my clannies would send me if I suggested that)
    c) spend real money to buy them

while ONLY after b) or c) we're finally fighting on equal level.

So... What I'd say SC should do is either:
    - reduce the gem price of the additional layouts to something a LOT more reasonable (I'd say 10%-20% of current price. Hell, even 1000 gems for all of them would be more reasonable than what we have right now...)
    - make them for free until they fix this (which I don't believe they will)
    - offer the layouts as special offer in shop for reasonable price in real money, similar to "Kingly offer".
    - or rework how the replays show and to who during CWL.

Other than that, don't expect me to take the CWL seriously anymore, since this is indeed happening, and all the "skill based" is not that much "skill based" if people can do this to win.

TL&DR: They should reduce the price of additional layouts or rework the replay system for fair play reasons.
    Last edited by MasterEdy; March 23rd, 2019 at 09:13 AM.

I like the idea of locking replays outside of anyone in the clan who has been taken into war.

I'd also like suggesting to "hide" all clan information during CWL, or making everything unknown, until the end of CWL. this would allow clans to still be able to recruit without worrying about spys; and also mitigate a lot of the problems you brought up.
    Last edited by twinblade123; March 23rd, 2019 at 07:01 AM.
    Do you want to three star max th12ís?
    http://youtu.be/tdv62xFnl7U

Stop by: Project Meteor #22RJQ9CR

I don't see how OP's suggestions could include additional layout prices?

Could change war bases and don't need to FC it....
    Engineered for success
    Engineered to win
    Winning is life
    Tiger blood

Spying isn't against the TOS, but usually the guys who did it are the weaker attackers.

The only solution I've seen proposed is making all the clans//players anonymous so you have no idea who they are or what clan their in.

I don't think this is really possible though, just take solace in that those who do this are scrubs.

Forum Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BlindSyphon View Post
    Spying isn't against the TOS, but usually the guys who did it are the weaker attackers.

The only solution I've seen proposed is making all the clans//players anonymous so you have no idea who they are or what clan their in.

I don't think this is really possible though, just take solace in that those who do this are scrubs.
    Technically theis isn't spying, but colluding. Two clans help each other to obtain knowledge about a third, that is then beaten.

Anonymity or "replays only available to war participants" or agressive war base changing (extra base designs) are 3 different ways to solve the problem.

/Affront
    TH12-60/60/30|BH8-16.16.16.16.16.16.16.16.16.16/25| Farm with US | full stats
    Recruiting

Centennial Club
    It can not be prevented..the attacker can record during his/her attack using third party..

South East of China, not that far away from Shanghai, or Hong Kong, just where my heart is...
    Quote Originally Posted by Affront View Post
    Technically theis isn't spying, but colluding. Two clans help each other to obtain knowledge about a third, that is then beaten.

Anonymity or "replays only available to war participants" or agressive war base changing (extra base designs) are 3 different ways to solve the problem.

/Affront
    Forgot to mention that the first and second spots were taken by those two clans we lost wars against, with the difference of 1 star between them.
    Last edited by MasterEdy; March 23rd, 2019 at 09:03 AM.

The question that always comes to my mind first is were those bases internet bases aka were they copied from somewhere or from your previous opponents which could have copied them from YouTube or something. Then they could have known those traps beforehand and perhaps attacks that beat them. But it's hard to tell without seeing the bases myself and it doesn't mean they didn't cheat. Sometimes good attackers can also tell where the traps most likely are but as I said hard to say

Forum Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterEdy View Post
    Forgot to mention that the first and second spots were taken by those two clans we lost wars against, with the difference of 1 star between them.
    Of course. The 3 clans were colluding throughout the entire CWL round, no doubt about it.

Proving it is harder and complete anonymity of opponents (because who cares about the identity of somebody you intend to step on) may be the best and easiest way to fix this.

/Affront
    TH12-60/60/30|BH8-16.16.16.16.16.16.16.16.16.16/25| Farm with US | full stats
    Recruiting

We are in champs 3, our war log for randoms is open, we have won 38/50 of our last wars.

We might change our bases once every 3-4 weeks, our thoughts are if someone is going to go to the trouble to go watch replays of our past wars let them have at it.

Making new bases each war, or even just changing what layout we are going to use from the three available is just to much effort

I could see a clan wanting to do it if they are in contention for the CWL world championships, but just plain old CWL is just to farm medals if you think about it.
    Last edited by Warios; March 23rd, 2019 at 12:43 PM.
    Level: 250 | TH12 | GG 2B
    Highest Trophy Count:5225 | Donations: 1.1 million | Hero Levels: 150
    Leader of Rogue Elite
    #8200L0UJ
    Retired League Clan and Players recruiting experienced attackers to play in a relaxed and fun environment.
    ​Our Discord link https://discord.gg/pwz4W2h