Thread: Defensive trophies

Pro Member

Defensive trophies

I just defended against an attack where he had approximately 5200 trophies and I had 5140 trophies and only 21 trophies were exchanged. I thought that equal trophy levels exchanged around 30 and since he was 60 trophies higher than me I would expect more like 33 exchanged. Did something change or am I off base?

Pro Member
    You're slightly off base.

You have to look at the number of trophies exchanged from the attacker's point of view. When attacking someone of identical cup counts, you'll see +30/-24. I know the +30 is correct based on the chart in the thread below.

https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...lost-is-unfair

I'm 99.9% sure the -24 is correct too, but I can't source it.

So back to the exchange. From the attacker's point of view, they will lose 24 cups if they fail the attack. Those are the 24 cups you stand to gain, not the 30. The 30 is what the attacker can win for scoring his stars, in 1/3 increments.

So if you defended against someone with exactly the same number of cups as you, the maximum you can win is 24.

People below you in cups will see a higher + and lower -. You may see complaints about being a whale to a lower league attacker. This can happen when someone in the mid 4000s attacks a 5000+ legend. The attacker sees something like +48/-5. So the legend winning the defense only nets 5 cups.

The opposite happens when people above you attack down, they see a lower + and higher -. Legends also complain of this, constantly finding Titans as +6/-35. So failing that attack will give 35 cups to the defender.

So since you won fewer than 24 cups, he was below you in total trophies, not above. He may have seen you as a +33/-21 (guessing). That means his loss (-21) is what you stand to gain if he scores 0 stars.
    Last edited by nelard; 6 Days Ago at 08:21 PM.

Pro Member
    I agree with everything you said except I was lower than him in total trophies. I logged on immediately after the attack and saw he had 5197 and I had 5173. I just gained 21 trophies from him so he had 5200+ when he attacked and I had 5152. So I expected to have received more than 21 and by what you said it should have been more than 24?

Edit after looking at the chart you linked is suppose he probably was offered 25 trophies. Wouldn't that result in losing more than 25 if he lost?
    Last edited by Pluribus; 6 Days Ago at 10:32 PM.

Pro Member
    I would have sworn to it that equal trophies meant 24 cups for winning the defense, but I could be wrong. I did more digging and here's the best I can explain for you:

Way way back in the day, someone did some I-remember-forgetting-how math to do regression something or other....you get the idea. Here's the thread. It's from 2014, and it calculates trophy offers for the system back then.

https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...hlight=zachuva

The second post summarizes how to calculate trophies with a simple equation.

SC redid the trophy system in late 2015 to remove the +1 trophy offer for high league players to a minimum of +6. Here's the official release by SC, which also has the charts from before.

https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...-Trophy-Offers

So you can use the equation from the 2014 thread to ballpark what the trophies should be, but it may have been tweaked with the 2015 trophy system update and no one has recalculated it. So if you do that math, take the answer with a grain of salt.

Beyond this, I don't know what else to tell you.