Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish pieces gained from Nets vs. Worms

Forum Veteran

Fish pieces gained from Nets vs. Worms

I started a conversation in another thread which quickly got off-topic, so I've started this one. I'd like to discuss the merits of nets versus worms.

I'm speaking strictly about the most efficient way to get fish pieces only, and using just worms or nets. I don't want to get into the other variables about colored lures, using spaces for lobsters, etc. Just talking about 8 open spaces, nets, and worms.

To me, it seems like nets are the better way to go so long as you can be consistent for a while. If you are making only nets in your net-maker, and placing one every 4 hours, you are going to get a better return on the fish pieces than you would if you were using worms, and it will take you less active involvement to do so.

You can get 1 fish every 1.5 hours with a worm.
    You can get 1 fish piece every 1.333 hours with a net (3 pieces every 4 hours).

The difference is that the net process takes longer to start, but once it does, the yield means that over time you will get more pieces for the time invested with nets.

Thoughts?
    Proud Member of Rock Lobsters
    Farm LVL 107 Town LVL 33
    Barn 2600 Silo 2300
    127/132 Achievements Complete

I tried the nets and don't always get 3 fish per net. It depends where you put it. I had one net by the boat house and it only yielded 2 fish for the time and also in another spot - can't remember which one. However, the net always yields 3 fish by the waterfall, the ship etc. Have you always gotten 3 fish per net? Curious to know...

I use the nets when I won't be on for awhile.

No Friend Requests Please.
    New to HD, Wheating, Barn Storage,must read ideas

Forum Veteran
    It used to be two or three, but I never noticed if the location was consistently one or the other. But I think that's been changed to always be three through one of the updates. I cannot remember the last time I didn't get three.
    Proud Member of Rock Lobsters
    Farm LVL 107 Town LVL 33
    Barn 2600 Silo 2300
    127/132 Achievements Complete

That could very well be. It's been a while since I've used the nets because I had such a stack of traps that I never get to the nets I've made. Since we can upgrade the tackle box, I now have 10 nets ready to use so I'll give it a go again when I'm away from my game. This time I will load all spots with nets and see what I get. I hope they did change it because 20 hours for 2 fish isn't great.

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
    That's just it, I don't think lures are obviously more efficient. I keep seeing people saying that, but I don't think their comparisons are accurate because they are only looking at the yield of one net to one lure. If you track continued use of one over the other the nets are a better deal all around.

I didn't take the lost potential of lobster nets into account in my comparison because I didn't want to further complicate the issue. I'm strictly talking about it from the perspective of "what gives me the most fish over a period of time?"
    Glad you decided to make a new thread to discuss this topic further as it's definitely something I find interesting. I brought this quote over from ur reply to me in the other thread. So, you definitely changed my perspective on how efficient the ners CAN be. Again this is if we're talking fishing strictly but once a player has reached a level where they unlock lobsters. People will prioritize making lobster traps. People that has upgraded the lobster pool all the way (6 lobsters), like myself, can't seem to make traps quick enough as it takes 2 hrs to make and essentially never have more than 3-4 lobsters cooking stimultanously. Locking up the net maker for 4 hrs for 3 filets would be crazy!

Atm, I add 1 net to the queue before going to sleep so 1-2 nets will be in the water, 3-4 spots will be used for lobster traps and the remaining for fishing with worms. Currently this is what's most efficient for me. People who has less queue slots on the net maker can make more nets overnight to prevent the machine from idle. Now when we can upgrade the tackle box, having extra nets is great for days you can't actively play.

But that's a lot cheddar! I think ur strategy with nets are great, hopefully players that hasn't unlocked lobsters will lesrn about this and maximize fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Goobster1963 View Post
    I tried the nets and don't always get 3 fish per net. It depends where you put it. I had one net by the boat house and it only yielded 2 fish for the time and also in another spot - can't remember which one. However, the net always yields 3 fish by the waterfall, the ship etc. Have you always gotten 3 fish per net? Curious to know...
    They changed this a few updates ago and we always receive 3 filets now.
    GC (& Kik): PinkStarbelly
    Tag: 8U99URUY Level: ​106

This is very interesting Cheddar.....I will definitely have to try it out at some point. I just wish that the fish weight caught with the net would go toward the 6000lb achievement I am currently trying/hoping to finish one day
    Proud Member of HDAA (HayDay Addicts Anonymous) working on my addiction, 1 wheat field at a time
    Please PM for Farm ID
    Level: 129 | Town Level: 35
    |Achievements:130/131| Wheating since March 15, 2013

Im just at a brink of opening my boat so im looking for info im lvl 30 now... Yes ive waited a bit to open it... So all info is aprieshiaded!!!

NH: Down on the farm
    lvl 50 and slowly rising...

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
    I started a conversation in another thread which quickly got off-topic, so I've started this one. I'd like to discuss the merits of nets versus worms.

I'm speaking strictly about the most efficient way to get fish pieces only, and using just worms or nets. I don't want to get into the other variables about colored lures, using spaces for lobsters, etc. Just talking about 8 open spaces, nets, and worms.

To me, it seems like nets are the better way to go so long as you can be consistent for a while. If you are making only nets in your net-maker, and placing one every 4 hours, you are going to get a better return on the fish pieces than you would if you were using worms, and it will take you less active involvement to do so.

You can get 1 fish every 1.5 hours with a worm.
    You can get 1 fish piece every 1.333 hours with a net (3 pieces every 4 hours).

The difference is that the net process takes longer to start, but once it does, the yield means that over time you will get more pieces for the time invested with nets.

Thoughts?
    But you don't get 3 pieces very four hours because it takes 20 hrs for the net to yield those fish, so it is three every 24 hours or one every 8 hours. Unless they changed this. If you need fish for a boat, the net is not going to help you. You can't leave this time factor out of your calculations

GC: Tiggerr Two | Lvl: 126​ | NH:dis FUNtional
    Turbo Trucker Help and Guide | HD Guide Book- | New People Tips
    Main Topic guide

Thanks to Red (again) for the picture !!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerr129 View Post
    But you don't get 3 pieces very four hours because it takes 20 hrs for the net to yield those fish, so it is three every 24 hours or one every 8 hours. Unless they changed this. If you need fish for a boat, the net is not going to help you. You can't leave this time factor out of your calculations
    I think you're missing the big picture here. Right now you're talking about 1 net alone. Cheddar's point is if you constantly making nets (which takes 4 hrs to make) and keep putting them in once they're ready, you will have 5 nets stimulatenously working in the 20 hrs time circle (20 hrs divided by 4 = 5 nets). This actually means you're getting 15 filets (5 x 3 filets).
    GC (& Kik): PinkStarbelly
    Tag: 8U99URUY Level: ​106