Thread: CWL what do you even do?

CWL what do you even do?

I've enjoyed CWL so far its been an interesting strategy change to have wars decided by a single attack instead of two attacks. With two attacks your lower bases become almost unimportant unless its a clan of all high level bases. Its been fun in CWL to figure out what to do when the other side has stronger top bases and our clan has stronger bottom bases and other different strategies.

This CWL our first matchup was decently even, we get to our second match up and well its about as unbalanced as any CWL or war matchup I've been a part of. The other clans has a TH12, 2 Th11, 7 Th10, 4 Th9 and 1 TH8. We have 1 Th11, 2 TH10, 7 TH9s and 5 TH8/7. Does anyone have a decent strategy for this? Do you just start at the bottom and try to 3 star bases by dipping and leave the top? We tried attacking straight across and down 1 but that still left some THs attacking TH10s with inferno's where 1 star is a pretty decent attack. Still want to get as many stars as possible and maybe hope for 2nd place.

The only other issue I have with CWL is only allowing 15 bases has forced my clan to break into two for CWL, half go to another clan while half stay with my original clan. Seems kinda lame to have to split up a clan so everyone can participate.

As much fun as CWL has been this type of matchup is not fun hopefully Supercell can fix it otherwise CWL probably goes the way of builder base.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen121912 View Post
    As much fun as CWL has been this type of matchup is not fun hopefully Supercell can fix it otherwise CWL probably goes the way of builder base.
    They can't fix it. The no-matching is kind of fundamental to the concept of CWL. If you get promoted enough you'll get matches where you just get stomped; no-one can win forever. Our TH10/9 side clan is facing 8 TH12s today, and most of the rest TH11. Tomorrow's opponent seem to be far, far stronger than that.

As to what you do: cross hit as needed. Low guys 2* as high as they can, or even 1*, and some of your higher attackers 3* lower down. Admittedly with such a range of TH the range your guys can hit is a bit limited. If your TH9s can 3* theirs, then best to do so, and your 8 can presumably kill their 8. Then other low guys get as much as possible as high as possible. If the enemy TH11 or 12 has an exposed TH, a TH7 could snag that for a star
    For info on CWL see: CWL survival guide and data posts: 1 (stars), 2 (3* rates), 3 (rosters), 4 (start times and other)
    --------------------
    Forum cup organiser. The forum cup discord server is: https://discord.gg/KEUxV2e

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen121912 View Post
    I've enjoyed CWL so far its been an interesting strategy change to have wars decided by a single attack instead of two attacks. With two attacks your lower bases become almost unimportant unless its a clan of all high level bases. Its been fun in CWL to figure out what to do when the other side has stronger top bases and our clan has stronger bottom bases and other different strategies.

This CWL our first matchup was decently even, we get to our second match up and well its about as unbalanced as any CWL or war matchup I've been a part of. The other clans has a TH12, 2 Th11, 7 Th10, 4 Th9 and 1 TH8. We have 1 Th11, 2 TH10, 7 TH9s and 5 TH8/7. Does anyone have a decent strategy for this? Do you just start at the bottom and try to 3 star bases by dipping and leave the top? We tried attacking straight across and down 1 but that still left some THs attacking TH10s with inferno's where 1 star is a pretty decent attack. Still want to get as many stars as possible and maybe hope for 2nd place.

The only other issue I have with CWL is only allowing 15 bases has forced my clan to break into two for CWL, half go to another clan while half stay with my original clan. Seems kinda lame to have to split up a clan so everyone can participate.

It will go the same way as Builder Base, because it is a similar system. It is meant to go that way.
    The match maker is unweighted after your first season, so future "match ups" are purely random within your tier, with promotion, demotion, or staying in the tier pre determining the next seasons matches.
    But like BB, it is a ladder system, so the better your performance over the season, the tougher it will be next time.
    The roster weight differential is normal for cwl. If they are getting too big, then you have probably reached, or exceeded your capability for now. Remember, performance is reliant on base and skill progression. Either too small or insufficient skill will result in poor performance.

So far as strategy. If I was looking for maximum yield, then I would consider what maximum stars were realistic for our skills on each base. Then the lowest account that could achieve those stars would be assigned to hit it.
    This way, it would allow the easiest possible chance of a triple for the bigger guys. Limiting ones chances by using mirrors, +1 etc is risking near misses, and gaining a much lower yield. Stars are much more important than percentage, which does allow a far bigger tolerance.
    If you cant cover the full map, then obviously ensure the stars lower down. We usually leave at least the top base untouched. In single attack mode, the final score tends to be a lot lower than with regular spin.
    I feel they probably decided on cwl being 15v due to it being the most common war size, and it allows more clans to be included.
    It is a shame a clan has to split, we did the same. But not everyone has a large clan. And having more than one war size would probably impact on the matching side of things, due to a shallower draw pool.

Forum Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by OnyxDS View Post
    As to what you do: cross hit as needed. Low guys 2* as high as they can, or even 1*, and some of your higher attackers 3* lower down. Admittedly with such a range of TH the range your guys can hit is a bit limited. If your TH9s can 3* theirs, then best to do so, and your 8 can presumably kill their 8. Then other low guys get as much as possible as high as possible. If the enemy TH11 or 12 has an exposed TH, a TH7 could snag that for a star
    This is what we're doing in our G2 clan. Our strongest hits #6 or whatever he can three star, and so on down, while our TH7 goes after any exposed TH he can find (so far unsuccessfully--5 max teslas output more DPS than his entire base.) In our first two rounds they scored 41 and 45 stars against us, and all we can do is salvage the medals where we can. We are too far ahead of the bottom clans to drop to a lower tier this season, so the new goal is getting enough medals for one hammer. If we cared what happened to the accounts in that clan, it would be depressing.

On the plus side, it was very amusing seeing a Th12 fail to triple my new-ish Th10. (Funnel fail allowed my CC dragon to kill a whole pile of bowlers and giants, and half the healers, leading to a time fail.)

Millennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by littledoctor View Post

On the plus side, it was very amusing seeing a Th12 fail to triple my new-ish Th10. (Funnel fail allowed my CC dragon to kill a whole pile of bowlers and giants, and half the healers, leading to a time fail.)
    in my other clan a TH12 with max lvl7 valk and 3 heroes failed to 3* our th9, lol
    https://www.clashofstats.com/clans/a...VLPP80/members

Engineered clan focused on crafting optimized bases