Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Supercell ID and email address - a question

Pro Member

Supercell ID and email address - a question

Sorry if this has been asked and answered elsewhere.

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the email address associated with a SC ID? And if so, how to do it? I have a couple of ‘old’ email addresses that I’d like to stop using but I made the mistake of associating them with a couple of minis. It’s not a big deal but if there is an easy way to change the address used I’d really like to know how?

thanks in advance for any help offered. :-)

Update: Now answered - process is simple and does NOT use up your one time account recovery
    Last edited by AxsMan; May 19th, 2019 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Update

The only way to change the email address associated with your SID is to use your one time account recovery which requires contacting ingame support and answering a bunch of verification questions to prove ownership.

Level 18
    - 2,124/18,500| Master II
    BloodyIrishman - TH12 [Level 202] - #2 in TH12 Hall of Fame
    Follow this link if you're interested in joining!

Pro Member
    Thanks BI, that doesn’t sound particularly convenient. I would have thought it possible to use the authorisation code procedure like they do for initial account linking. I.e. within the game I select ‘reassign Supercell ID to new email’ the system sends an Authorisation code to the current email, I enter the code and the system lets me enter a new email address. That would seem simpler and no less secure than the initial setup? Or am I missing something?

Centennial Club
    It is not about security or simplicity. It is to prevent fraud and account sharing / selling, In My humble opinion. Not saying that this is your intention, but think about that, if it was that simple to change the email address associated with supercell ID, people could easily (ab)use this to transfer their account to someone else’s email for something in return.

Pro Member
    Yes I see your point. Although I’m not sure that if some people wanted to give away or even sell their account it would really matter that much? I have no such intention, I’d just like to do away with a couple of old email addresses, but keeping them just for the time when I change devices and have to re register isn’t the end of the world lol.

Centennial Club
    Again I totally understand and support your point but unfortunately it cannot be differed from the abuse pattern.

To answer your question; yes it matters. Giving example from myself. My accounts are linked to my personal email. If I am bored of the game at some point and would like to sell my account (not saying that I would ever), them there is no way I am giving my personal email details to a stranger. Does that clarify?

Pro Member
    Sure it does, and like you I use my personal email for my main accounts. But, I also have a couple of minis (actually not so mini these days lol ) that use gmail accounts specifically created for them and with names that match the accounts. It would be no problem to me at all to give (or sell!) those accounts to someone else as I don’t use those email addresses for anything else at all. So given that new players may now be creating new accounts with game specific email addresses I would have thought the argument against making it easier to switch email addresses is less clear cut?

Centennial Club
    Yes and no. I am not saying that it is impossible to do it. However, it does make it more difficult. I have a mini as well but even for that one I have used my second personal email. So, you really either need to have tons of account of start with the intention / foresight of recycling that email in the future.

Even if you create a separate email just for the game, it might contain some personal information about you, which some people are not willing to give away. Also it is more difficult to convince someone when sharing / selling accounts when you give them a completely strange email rather than is their email of choice. (For most email accounts, I believe the original owner of the email can retrieve the account if s/he wishes to so that is another trust issue)

Pro Member
    Yes, I Understand, but it seems to me that there are two categories of player: those , like you and I who want to just play the game, maybe have multiple accounts, and aren’t interested in account sharing or selling, and those who actively want to create accounts in order to sell them, or have multiple people share an account in order to play it 24/7 and take it very high.

the first category effectively is having to suffer (from a more complicated process if they have need to change their email address) in order to make life harder for the second category. BUT, the second category are likely to have planned ahead as you say, and simply created ‘dummy’ email addresses to go with their many accounts, or will have freely shared an email address to allow a group of players to run one account.

in other words the restrictions on changing registered email address penalise the ‘honest’ players but don’t significantly impact the rule breakers, whose life has been greatly simplified by the introduction of SCID.

Quote Originally Posted by AxsMan View Post
    <snip>

in other words the restrictions on changing registered email address penalise the ‘honest’ players but don’t significantly impact the rule breakers, whose life has been greatly simplified by the introduction of SCID.
    Totally agreed