Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Clan War League: An "It Aint Going to Fix Itself" Approach

Quote Originally Posted by joshsgrandad View Post
    lol. I cant even begin to disagree mate.
    But, looking at my last post, I couldnt even get them to join me in the newly spawned clan, never mind yours.
    Next season the 9s will be in, and things will start for real. Others that decide to cash in will likely be reminded of this season, when I actually needed them.

Will be back to real war soon, and more chances to look at the MM. Dont know how long the perfects will last, but will maybe be looking at some optimising, at least in the short term, but using balanced accounts rather than optimised. Certainly wont be reverting to the debacle of casual influenced as has happened in the main.

Good luck with the cwl season Major
    Oh our CWL season is fine, the little one we did for one of our homies with his TH5 and 6's so I chucked in a couple of my defenseless 11's and a couple of our other 9's, all who don't need medals and ended up in silver 3. Would have been good for you to have come over with a few buddies, we Would have just warred a little higher or maybe add in another clan.

I think you need to dump the casuals, you are far too nice on them. You should come war with our heavies and I in our sister clan, lots of good players and no drama.
    Engineered for success---Engineered to win---Winning is life---Tiger Blood

Supercell enforcing fair play? Let's stop Self-Match Clans https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...left-unchecked

Not going to lie, haven't read through the whole thread but since going in with only th12, we get quite a good match in champs league II. Fingers crossed we can get to the top league this season with 4 back to back promotions.

I used to engineer my base. I can hold my hands up and say I am not the best attacker, far from it in my clan. What I would say is that my little th12 with lvl 3 infernos was rubbish so I have had to upgrade everything to max very quickly to make my base competitive for cwl. They still aren't. I only have the odd defence as max so still a work in progress.

Since we have all done that, we are better matched after going up against more th12s to our roster. We are now entering with 15 and shifting our th11s to our sister clan so they get to be involved daily instead of just grabbing the spoils at the end. The last 2 leagues, we have finished second, silly mistakes caused it but I would say we are much better matched now even if the clans are several levels higher than ours.

I know our clan really enjoys the back to back war and when I am number 13 and get a 3 star on their 2, I feel quite happy
    Last edited by GeekyBert; January 11th, 2019 at 10:51 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by littledoctor View Post
    Looks like I missed a great thread while I was on vacation. Thanks for resurrecting it!

On the topic of adjusting rewards to make farmers want to push higher, I am not sure that they actually can (with the current medals per star/win), without creating disparities that are just ridiculous. Often, going up a tier means you go from 5 wins to 2, and maybe a 50% drop in stars, which means, in order to incentivize medal farmers to push as high as they can, the increase in rewards needs to be at least 50% per tier. If you start with a reasonable number of medals in the low tiers, so that someone down there can actually get enough medals to do something, you end up with clans in the middle and high tiers getting a ridiculously high number of medals. Supercell doesn't want people maxing their bases in 2 months (without buying gems). If you correct this by setting the desired rewards somewhere in the middle, say crystal 3, and then dropping them for lower tiers and increasing them for higher tiers, it's hard to see how any of the low clans will want to participate... in bronze you'd get maybe 5 medals per season, and in champs you'd still get tens of thousands.
    I think your right, adjusting the rewards enough to make lower tiers compete for advancement just makes the higher tiers have way to many medals. There has already been threads about max bases playing CWL in higher tiers and explaining how they will have enough medals to instantly upgrade most of any update SC can throw at them. It seems this might cause problems SC hasn't thought of.

Maybe, supercell could adjust the loot rewards, not the medals, so that there is a 4x multiplier instead of 2x, and you still get 100% when you lose? That way, when you rise to the point where you get 2 stars or 1 star instead of 3, and lose more than win, your gold/elix/de rewards don't actually drop. Farmers, after all, care about loot.
    This makes sense. But some will be farming specifically for medals, even if at a loss of loot.

I only do 15v15 in classical wars with only my own accounts. So loot is never really the motivator, I often don't attack for loot once all bases are cleared. Many clans I match have a similar setup, most bases are obviously from 1 or 2 people, and attacking for loot isn't very common from what I see.

Maybe supercell could decouple the medal rewards from performance, so that when you rise in leagues and your performance decreases, your medals don't decrease. Maybe you get a bunch of medals just for hitting bases (like how xp and loot are awarded), and a smaller number (or even none) for winning the war and advancing (the real reward being the increased number of medals next season).
    What some clans do is attack in one CWL for max medals and advancement, then let that clan drop a tier for the next CWL. So they constantly end up in a tier that is easy to max the medals. While a clan is dropped a tier intentionally they can do a CWL in a different clan just to farm medals there.

Quote Originally Posted by BoBoTheGoat View Post
    I think your right, adjusting the rewards enough to make lower tiers compete for advancement just makes the higher tiers have way to many medals. There has already been threads about max bases playing CWL in higher tiers and explaining how they will have enough medals to instantly upgrade most of any update SC can throw at them. It seems this might cause problems SC hasn't thought of.

This makes sense. But some will be farming specifically for medals, even if at a loss of loot.

I only do 15v15 in classical wars with only my own accounts. So loot is never really the motivator, I often don't attack for loot once all bases are cleared. Many clans I match have a similar setup, most bases are obviously from 1 or 2 people, and attacking for loot isn't very common from what I see.

What some clans do is attack in one CWL for max medals and advancement, then let that clan drop a tier for the next CWL. So they constantly end up in a tier that is easy to max the medals. While a clan is dropped a tier intentionally they can do a CWL in a different clan just to farm medals there.

I’m fine with clans choosing to put less time and effort into CWL and playing lower for medals. What I don’t like is how right now clans can get MORE medals playing lower with cheaper attacks, less planning, etc. Whatever happens, clans should be rewarded for pushing as hard as they can.

Contact SC here. Click here for how trophies are calculated. How is war map placement of max halls determined?, see answer here. Thank you SC for the new legends! However, how to fight collusion here.

Some clans seem to also be shooting for 3rd place only. Not sure it’s as effective as the “win, swap ‘n drop” approach using 2 different clans. But the reality is, skill rarely plays a part in CWL unless you’re in the highest leagues. It’s mostly about TH comp and while sometimes it can be close to even, most times, it’s all over the place. Oddly, some of the clans I’m in lean towards “we CWL for loot”, which in regular wars, I think is an egregious crime.

Quote Originally Posted by IronBrigade View Post
    Some clans seem to also be shooting for 3rd place only. Not sure it’s as effective as the “win, swap ‘n drop” approach using 2 different clans. But the reality is, skill rarely plays a part in CWL unless you’re in the highest leagues. It’s mostly about TH comp and while sometimes it can be close to even, most times, it’s all over the place. Oddly, some of the clans I’m in lean towards “we CWL for loot”, which in regular wars, I think is an egregious crime.
    Skill plays a big role in Masters league.

I do think something should be changed so 3rd place doesn’t earn more medals than 7th place in the next higher tier.

Contact SC here. Click here for how trophies are calculated. How is war map placement of max halls determined?, see answer here. Thank you SC for the new legends! However, how to fight collusion here.

Great thread guys - managed to read most of it.

Here's my clans little journey.

We didn't plan very well for our first CWL so our main clan was placed in masters 1.
    We faced an uphill struggle because most of our opponents had all or nearly all TH12s in their rosters.

Problem we had was our 9s, 10s and most of our 11s had to warm the bench until the last war when we knew we'd survive and not get demoted.

Our mini ran with 9s down and was placed in silver somewhere.

Come CWL round 2 and we moved all our 9s, 10s and 10.5s down into the mini so they could actually set foot on the battle field and you can guess what type of CWL that was for them.

Somehow, our main clan got promoted to C3 despite facing all TH12 clans with us having 9 or 10 TH12s at most. There were some really bad TH12 attackers in season 2.

Went to C3 and well... there was no point fighting with 10 th12s and 5 th11s... we gave up 15 stars every war in exchange for 10 at most. Still, we didn't finish last... I was pleased we made 7th.

Straight back down to M3 - this time - we are facing all TH12 rosters again and are getting panelled every war by 5 or 6 stars. Be lucky to stay up.

Our mini is just smashing everything though because we have a stacked roster. Not done intentionally. Only because I wanted all our members to be able to war in the CWL's.

This is another flaw with the system.
    The way it works has forced me to move players around and, as a result, it has skewed the league our mini clan is in.

Not enjoying it so far and it is wearing my clan down a bit... fingers crossed things will improve or SC introduce leagues above C1 for all TH12s and have mixed wars below with TH caps for each TH level... or some other balancing solution.
    Skrivo
    TH12
    Leader of war clan's vVv & sPu

Millennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLandofNod View Post
    Went to C3 and well... there was no point fighting with 10 th12s and 5 th11s... we gave up 15 stars every war in exchange for 10 at most. Still, we didn't finish last... I was pleased we made 7th.

Straight back down to M3 - this time - we are facing all TH12 rosters again and are getting panelled every war by 5 or 6 stars. Be lucky to stay up.
    How were you able to drop from Champs 3 to Masters 3 with a 7th place finish? We went from Masters I to Masters II to Masters III. It would have been more beneficial for my clan to drop as fast as yours.

In Masters III, none of our first 4 opponents have all TH12s. Most have between 4-8 TH12s.
    Last edited by move4ward; January 13th, 2019 at 04:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Well don't play it then. The game is all about having fun. If you don't find that aspect of it to be fun, then don't play it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    What evidence I have seen suggests that most people are finding it fun. But obviously, not everybody will.

The “it takes time to settle the tiers” theory.
    Since the very beginning, I have never believed this theory would work. It may worked for clans who warred all 15 TH12s. But for us, a smaller clan, with mixed TH levels, we will always be matched with clans with not-so-good attackers, but have more TH12s than us. These clans can not move up leagues, because they would be beaten by other clans with better attackers. So they drop. And they hang out in the lower leagues. They win against us, purely because of stronger troops, higher TH levels. It's like engineered bases all over again.

Our clan has 3-4 TH12s, is constantly grouped in the same CWL with 11+ TH12s clans, has been in the past 3 CWLs.

Some of our members have considered dropping leagues. We are not getting as many tokens staying in the league where we are. But we are conflicted in doing this. We don't believe this is how the game is intended to be played.

-Cassia
    aya / cassia / clove
    HAM MASTERS (#PYRRJ2V) [lvl 20 / ~79% win rate]
    US-based war clans, no lopsided bases

Quote Originally Posted by hammasters View Post
    Since the very beginning, I have never believed this theory would work. It may worked for clans who warred all 15 TH12s. But for us, a smaller clan, with mixed TH levels, we will always be matched with clans with not-so-good attackers, but have more TH12s than us. These clans can not move up leagues, because they would be beaten by other clans with better attackers. So they drop. And they hang out in the lower leagues. They win against us, purely because of stronger troops, higher TH levels. It's like engineered bases all over again.

Our clan has 3-4 TH12s, is constantly grouped in the same CWL with 11+ TH12s clans, has been in the past 3 CWLs.

Some of our members have considered dropping leagues. We are not getting as many tokens staying in the league where we are. But we are conflicted in doing this. We don't believe this is how the game is intended to be played.

-Cassia
    We run a bit lighter roster than you describe. We were in crystal one the first three rounds. Did well first time, meh second, and got destroyed the third to drop to crystal 2. We did not tank, just couldn't win. Now we are one of the stronger clans. We run at most 3 (usually 1or 2) 12s, 5 to 7 11s, 5 to 7 10s and a 9 or 2. We are routinely outnumbered in th12s. However, those 12s tend to be rushed. We're about to win our 3rd war. The top 4 will be closely grouped so we'll see where we end up. I don't see perceived mismatches going away. However, if you get stuck in the 5th/6th place purgatory for more than a league or two, I'd definitely consider tanking. I think (hope?) That the differences between tiers will even out as more clans move up into masters and champs. Only time will tell.