Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Clash of Clans - Winter 2018 Update - Builder Base Balance Changes

1.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #1

Clash of Clans - Winter 2018 Update - Builder Base Balance Changes

Game Design - It's not like staring through a telescope at the stars.
    Making design changes to a game can seem a bit like astrology to the uninitiated, where it can seem like designers consult star charts to make design decisions. However, game design and game balance is a careful choreography of cause and effect. Make one change here, and it can have another effect elsewhere. While many consequences of changes can be predicted and we often do extensive testing to measure those consequences, there can occasionally be unpredictable ripples down the road.

While not technically a sneak peek, we're going to discuss some of the upcoming balance changes we'll be making to the Builder Base. We had a sit down discussion with the game designers and we wanted to share their comments behind the changes.

Cannon Cart:

• DPS reduced by 15%
    • 3rd Cannon Cart unlocked at level 10
    • Designer comments: The Cannon Cart is one of the most popular and used units in the Builder Base in higher trophy ranges of Builder Hall level 8 players; however, it is not as popular or successful in lower trophy ranges and other BH levels. Coupled with its level 16 upgrade which adds a 3rd unit in each Army Camp, our statistics showed that the Cannon Cart at level 16 was a bit too powerful while levels 1-15 were under-utilized or under-powered. We felt that reducing the DPS while making the 3rd unit available early on will help offset this difference and make the Cannon Cart much more utilitarian across all levels.

Baby Dragon:

• HP increased by 7.5%
    • Designer comments: Statistically the Baby Dragon has very low usage across all trophy ranges. This is generally an indication a troop's utility is either too weak or doesn't provide a stable meta with other units. We have increased its HP in order to make the Baby Dragon more viable against air defenses and give it some additional survivability so it can be more effectively combo'd with other units.

Super P.E.K.K.A.:

• HP reduced by 5%
    • Designer comments: When looking at the overall health of the game's meta, one of the things you want to look for is the frequency of how often a unit is selected. If players tend to favor one unit over another, resulting in less variety in the meta, we have to look at what we can do to increase variety. The Super P.E.K.K.A. is a unit, like the Cannon Cart, that is very highly used in higher trophy ranges. The goal of this HP reduction is to possibly reduce how often she's selected, thus creating the opportunity for a greater variety of options. Keeping a variety of options viable is one of the keys to a healthy metagame.

Star Laboratory:

• Upgrade times of Builder Base troops reduced
    • Designer comments: Once players find a strategy that suits them, it's natural for players to want to strengthen those troops to maximize that strategy's effectiveness. However, often times this means other unused troops will be left under-upgraded or under-utilized. What we've done is reduce the upgrade times for multiple troops in order to make using them a bit more tempting and, as mentioned earlier, keep the metagame as viable as possible with allowing greater options to be chosen.

Gem Mine:

• Gem Mine can be upgraded to level 3 at Builder Hall level 3
    • Designer comments: While not a direct change in game strategy, this is in-line with upgrade levels of other buildings in the Builder Base. Furthermore, this should allow a slight increase in the amount of Gems available at BH3.

Thank you snow much for joining us for today's brief preview into what's coming in the Winter 2018 Update. We hope you enjoyed this rare glimpse into the mind of a Clash game designer, and stay tuned until tomorrow. Things are speeding up and won't remain at this glacial pace.
    AKA Tank Puppy
    https://twitter.com/Devourlick

If you have account-related questions like account bans or Supercell ID issues, please contact Player Support at this link. Please note that Community Managers and Forum Moderators are unable to assist or answer any account-related questions.

Awesome

10chars.

No Balance changes for Home village? 😑

Centennial Club
    It is nice i liked it thank you SC, but am still looking for the particular content which is about "ground army will get love"😀

Millennial Club
    Still searching for the hog rider in BB...
    Thanks for this great insight into the thinking behind balance changes. I guess the same logic applies to many balance changes in the main base as well. Thanks

Shame that cannons and pekkas are being reduced, but the fact that I love them both is a small indication that your logic holds

Millennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by wala7777 View Post
    No Balance changes for Home village? 
    not announced here - doesn't mean it's not coming, we still have sneak peeks tomorrow, and who knows how many more...

Centennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by wala7777 View Post
    No Balance changes for Home village? 😑
    Hmm i think we have already got required balance changes for home village just few month ago.

Millennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by kundantiwarikt View Post
    Hmm i think we have already got required balance changes for home village just few month ago.
    balances will come and go all the time as we progress... hopefully

I just luve the fact that there are sneak peeks again!!
    10x

Have Fun
    TS

EDiT: Page 1 ?!! (first time ever for me)
    Last edited by TullSadum; December 7th, 2018 at 01:20 PM.

fresh TH14 ... lvl 241 ...
    75 ... 75 ... 50 ... 26
    2014 Review-Video , Free download, printable stats booklet .
    Poem, Journey to full Lavas Video

Banned
    Finally some attention to builder base. Thanks darian