Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Spying in new CWL system

New Bloke/Chick
    Cwl ended 30min ago but can't see any medals pls help me with that

Forum Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 2222 View Post
    You still missed the point. If I am in a war league with 7 other clans and my clan is closed, but my opponent for war #7 gets into the clan we battled in war #1 so they can see our base designs and practice on them before they war against us, the fact that my own clan is closed does nothing to stop it. This thread is about players getting into the other clans in your league to spy on you, not about players getting into your own clan.

Normally I am a big supporter of being accountable and responsible for yourself and in regular wars closing your clan is sufficient.

For CWL however, since I am not in control of the other six clans, I would support a long term fix by SC to make CWL battles only viewable by clan members who are included in the roster (15-50) depending on how many you put in. After thefirst season, there is no reason not to include your entire clan anyways and you havent grouped with the other 7 clans when that selection was made.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaledonian View Post
    There are many variables, but a spy can watch the defences of forthcoming opponents; base layout; establish which traps are where; glean information on CC troop compositions etc... Information that you don't have access to.

On top of that, they'll have intimate knowledge of the clan they're spying from.

The point is, you can change your war bases as often as you like, but many, probably most, clans won't. Taking the standard anti-spying steps will not prevent spies operating from a third party. If one clan is open, all the other clans are vulnerable to spying through no fault of their own.
    How much do you think spying will affect the game? Is it going to have such an impact that SC will be convinced of taking action? If not, then the scenario that you have just described would not occur significantly.

You may be correct in stating that it may not be worth your time to build additional bases since... hmm I actually do not know what your reason is behind that. I guess I got caught up between two conversations that I forgot to ask what is your position in all of this. Perhaps we should start over and you can state your position so that we do not talk past each other.

Forum Elder
    Third, I’m not sure why so many people think there is a choice and players must choose between taking steps to correct the situation and making suggestions to SC to improve it and they can’t do both. The same thing happened with the siege default situation. Just because a player complains to SC or suggests a change doesn’t mean they aren’t also taking personal responsibility and doing what they can on their end to do their best in the game.
    You are correct, both can be done. However, it is counterproductive to unjustly criticize a suggested deterrence while advocating only to have SC make changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash098 View Post
    You are correct, both can be done. However, it is counterproductive to unjustly criticize a suggested deterrence while advocating only to have SC make changes.
    I agree that is just as unhelpful as criticism placed on players suggesting ways to improve the system with claims that they just need to take responsibility for themselves. Both aren’t helpful.

I like Tosti’s idea above that only the players on the roster can see the replays, base designs, etc.. That would fix this problem and would have almost no negative consequences.
    Contact SC here. Click here to see how trophies are calculated. I'm still thinking starting the "new" legends at Legends2 at 5500 and having Legends3 be for 5000-5499 would be good (with season resets to 5000 and 5500 depending on your trophies at season end) but overall I LOVE the Legends change. Thanks SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Tosti111 View Post
    Normally I am a big supporter of being accountable and responsible for yourself and in regular wars closing your clan is sufficient.

For CWL however, since I am not in control of the other six clans, I would support a long term fix by SC to make CWL battles only viewable by clan members who are included in the roster (15-50) depending on how many you put in. After thefirst season, there is no reason not to include your entire clan anyways and you havent grouped with the other 7 clans when that selection was made.
    This is a great idea.
    Contact SC here. Click here to see how trophies are calculated. I'm still thinking starting the "new" legends at Legends2 at 5500 and having Legends3 be for 5000-5499 would be good (with season resets to 5000 and 5500 depending on your trophies at season end) but overall I LOVE the Legends change. Thanks SC.

Forum Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash098 View Post
    How much do you think spying will affect the game? Is it going to have such an impact that SC will be convinced of taking action? If not, then the scenario that you have just described would not occur significantly...
    I have no idea how prevalent spying is/will be. The problem from my POV is not rate & impact, but the lack of control. Any clan set to open can be exploited & I have no control over who is watching my replays. Because CWL is not regular CW, the standard response from SC re spying, is not fit for purpose.

...You may be correct in stating that it may not be worth your time to build additional bases since... hmm I actually do not know what your reason is behind that. I guess I got caught up between two conversations that I forgot to ask what is your position in all of this. Perhaps we should start over and you can state your position so that we do not talk past each other.
    My position is this: one up-to-date active war base per account should be enough.

I don't think it's reasonable to ask my clanmates to have multiple war bases ready for a CWL campaign.

If a clan is set to open, it's on them if they're taken advantage of. It is not reasonable that a spy should glean information on other clans.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaledonian View Post
    I have no idea how prevalent spying is/will be. The problem from my POV is not rate & impact, but the lack of control. Any clan set to open can be exploited & I have no control over who is watching my replays. Because CWL is not regular CW, the standard response from SC re spying, is not fit for purpose.

My position is this: one up-to-date active war base per account should be enough.

I don't think it's reasonable to ask my clanmates to have multiple war bases ready for a CWL campaign.

If a clan is set to open, it's on them if they're taken advantage of. It is not reasonable that a spy should glean information on other clans.
    I think that it is important that we get an idea on how spying will affect the game. Whether or not its impact has enough consequence to merit action particularly in higher leagues where the more serious competition takes place and most clans will be either closed or set to invite only. Otherwise we will just be falling into an appeal to consequence fallacy.

The suggestion to build multiple war bases does not come with a gun pointed at clan mate's heads. It is as described a suggestion should someone (like myself) feel they need to mitigate the circumstance. It is not presented as a permanent solution and surely it is not presented as a deterrent to keep other people from using and finding alternate solutions. As I have mentioned before, use it, don't use it, it is all on the individual. It would be great if everyone uses it but that would be as realistic as expecting everyone not to use the "Anyone can join" setting.

Only time will tell if spying will have a huge negative impact on CWL. I am of the opinion that it will not. There will be those that will disagree and I would suggest that we could wait, perhaps a year from now, and see if this justifies action from SC. Should it come to pass that SC does need to step in then I have no problem changing my mind since new data have been made available.

For those who are looking to find ways to mitigate the situation now I can offer a suggestion. Perhaps someone else may be able to offer a better one which I do look forward to see.

You still missed the point. If I am in a war league with 7 other clans and my clan is closed, but my opponent for war #7 gets into the clan we battled in war #1 so they can see our base designs and practice on them before they war against us, the fact that my own clan is closed does nothing to stop it. This thread is about players getting into the other clans in your league to spy on you, not about players getting into your own clan.
    You did'nt get my point. I am just saying that now we know that such type of spying is done and are aware in our own clan then should'nt the other 7 clans be aware of this too? Isn't it their responsibility too to close their clans to avoid this type of spying? This is a small issue but because of peoples' ignorance and lack of awareness this has become huge.

P.S. why do people want a permanant solution when the solution is present right among us.
    Last edited by arjunchopra333; November 23rd, 2018 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tosti111 View Post

Its correct that you are not in control of other 6 or 7 clans but they are in control of their clans and just because a certain amount of players are'nt aware to do such a basic thing as to close their clans during wars it does'nt mean that its the sole responsibilty of SC to give a solution.