Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Clan War League Common Questions

Clan War League Common Questions

I thought it might be nice to start a thread to address a few questions I've been responding to in other posts about war leagues. Yes, that means yet another thread, but hopefully it will be helpful to some.

1) How are we placed into clan war leagues the first time?

There are other good threads that give an introduction into how leagues work so I'm not going to spend much time on that, but this leads into #2 below. The first time your clan joins war league your leader will select who will be on your roster. A minimum of 15 must be selected, the leader can choose the whole clan if that is what they want. The top/heaviest/strongest 15 bases on your roster will determine what tier you are put into the first time. For each of the 7 wars your leader picks what 15 players will be in each war, but he must pick them from the roster selected when he joined the clan into war leagues. So, if the leader left anyone off that roster, he cannot put them into any wars that entire season.

2) After we are in a tier, how are we grouped with 7 other clans for our league? Is there any matchmaking based on weight or hall level?

The answer is no. Your clan is randomly matched with 7 other clans from your same tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Darian[Supercell] View Post
    There is no weighted matchmaking. The only weighting taking place is when your Clan is placed in a league. After that, who you're matched up with is random.

As others have stated, if you remain in the same League then when the next season rolls around you will be grouped with 7 other Clans from the same league but not necessarily the same Clans you already fought in the previous season. The reason for this is to reduce Clans from attempting to engage in win-trading (fixing game results).

Clan level has nothing to do with the Leagues and never has.
    3) With random matching, why does it take a long time to find a match when we join a new league season?

When your leader decides to enter you into the new season, even if you were already in leagues last season, it can take a long time to find a match. It might be a few minutes or many hours. Why? The reason is because you are not grouped together with 7 other clans that all hit search at the same time. It is not first come first serve. If it was, clans could intentionally join the same leagues. Darian has confirmed this:

Just to give some illumination regarding the search times, while we can't go into the details as to what's going on behind the scenes, a large part of the search times are to prevent collusion/win-trading. This way Clans can't try to organize simultaneous searches to try and fix their wins.

To address your question about the search times, there is a certain randomization in the search times to try and mitigate how Clans could try and organize and collude for win-trading purposes. We're looking at how we can adjust this threshold to more manageable levels and make match times more predictable, but we also have to look at how we can combat colluding/win-trading behind the scenes.

Darian has not said exactly how this works and I don't expect SC will explain it. I have a guess that comes from how we know they match us up in legends (all of multiplayer really, but legends clouds is where you experience the impact of it most). For multiplayer matching we know when you start your search you are put into a pool or node of players. You then match up from within that pool. That is why someone at the same trophy level might get a match in 5 minutes while you wait 5 hours. I would not be at all surprised if war leagues are run similarly. When you start your search or join a league, maybe you are put into a pool with other clans. Only when that pool reaches a certain number of clans are you matched up with 7 other clans from that pool. So, if you start your search and get put into a pool that was only 2 clan away from full, your league starts very quickly. If you start your search and were 50 clans away from a full pool, you might have a long wait. Again, this is only my guess, but it makes sense and was my guess even before Darian confirmed the delay is a result of their design to prevent clans from intentionally matching. In the end, it doesn't really matter how it is done, just know some delay is needed to avoid clans gaming the system.

In the second season, it seems most tiers had reasonable search times, assuming you think a few hours is reasonable. I'm fine with waiting 2-4 hours to get the league started if it prevents clans from intentionally joining the same leagues. However, Champs3 was pretty bad for many clans. I suspect (just my guess) that SC miscalculated Champs3 a bit and the low number of clans resulted in it taking a very long time for them to match up. As Darian said above, they are reviewing it to look for ways to improve it.

Restarting a War League search doesn't help search times. The matching is fairly random so the amount of time spent in the queue is not taken into consideration. Again, as we stated before, this is to avoid collusion on win-trading.
    99.9% of Clans who sign up before the sign-up period ends will find a League match.
    Given that this is only the second War League season, we're looking at the League data to see how we can streamline the process and make future improvements.
    4) What about engineering? Why am I still facing engineered accounts? Do they have an advantage?

There are many engineered accounts out there, so of course you will see them in war leagues, but do they have an advantage? No, they do not. Why not? If you read above, you know there is no weight based matchmaking in war leagues. So, you are randomly matched with 7 other clans from your tier. If one of those clans has engineered accounts with missing defenses or defenses not upgraded, it is to their own disadvantage. It would not be better for you if they built and upgraded all of those defenses. You still would have matched them and they would be harder to defeat.

An higher hall engineered account might be stronger than a maxed out lower hall. So, within one clan, they might decide they are stronger with their engineered account in the war than their lower maxer account, or they might not have any other options. However, the point is they would be even stronger if that engineered account built and upgraded all defenses and you still would have matched them. So, they are choosing to play without defenses even though there is no weight to adding them. It is a disadvantage to them and an advantage to any clan that they face in war leagues.

5) Why isn't there townhall matching? Why isn't there weight based matching?

There would be some advantages to hall matching, but some disadvantages as well. Hall matching encourages players to max out at a certain hall and leave the account at that level A max th9 is a nice advantage over every other th9. Every new hall would be at a disadvantage. On the other hand, with equal halls on both sides the war might be decided more by skill than the current system. In any event, that is not the current system. The current system favors progression of your base. It rewards being more progressed. Much like trophy pushing in multiplayer and in builder hall, you will have an easier time pushing higher in war leagues if your clan is progressed in halls, defense and offense than you will if you have low halls.

Matchmaking based on weight or base progression is used in regular wars, but not in league wars. League wars reward progression of your bases if your goal is to push to the highest tiers. A clan of skilled th7s can't push to the very top.

Yes, without these types of matchmaking systems there are matches that will be uneven in terms of base progression, some of them very uneven. Don't give up. That much stronger clan might have very little skill. I have personally seen much stronger clans lose due to such a lack of skill. On the other hand, that much stronger clan might have some skill and they might destroy your clan. That happens. Remember this is really a war comprised of 7 battles, not 7 individual wars. Your goal is to get as many stars as you can in each battle (and a win is worth 10 bonus stars so, yes, winning is important when you can) and you are competing against 7 other clans, not 1 other clan. If that clan is much stronger than everyone else and skilled, they will get promoted up and out of your tier. You still are in a competition with the others in your league, so get every start you can and move on to the next battle.

6) Does skill decide who can push the highest or is it base progression?

It's both. Both help. I've already seen matches decided by skill where the clan with less base progression beat the clan with more base progression. However, base progression is a huge factor as well. A clan of th8s, no matter how skilled, aren't going to be pushing up into the champions tier with clans of 15 th12s. Your clan will face clans with more or less progression and more or less skill. No doubt SC could have picked a system that makes skill much more of a factor than the one they went with (for example, giving everyone max th12s to use would make it based totally on skill). SC apparently thinks this system is best for the long term health of the game. I happen to agree, especially since we already have war leagues with weight based matchmaking.

7) Why did SC pick 15 for the war size?

SC reviewed the figures from regular war and 15 is the most popular size. There are some clans that wish the number was larger because they have many players sitting out and there are other clans who wish it was smaller because they cannot get 15 to consistently join their wars. 15 is what SC settled on because it is the most popular war size.

8) Does it help to "rush" my base for war leagues?

Yes, it does help to strategically rush your base for war leagues. A player that is new to th9, for example, could strategically rush to th11 and be stronger on offense AND defense than the other player that stays at th9 working on maxing it out. Remember, there is no weight considered in war leagues. What provides more defensive advantage, some infernos or the same amount of gold spent on walls?

However, weight is still considered for regular wars. So, if you plan to use the account in regular wars you have to consider that. Building big heavy defenses can definitely hurt you in regular wars if you do not have the offensive power (often heroes) to keep up.

9) Are war leagues only for th12 players?

No. Every clan and every player can push as high as they can on the ladder if that is their goal. A th9 isn't going to win the legends tournament in multiplayer this season, yet there are many th9s who still have fun pushing as high as they can. War leagues are the same. You can still try to push as high as you can, even if you know you can't compete with the all th12 clans.

Other clans won't try to push as high as they can. They will rotate in all of their players, not try all that hard to win and use it to collect medals without being really competitive about it. That can be fun as well.

10) Why are we losing so much?

For many clans, war leagues are a big shift in perspective if they were used to winning most of their regular wars (not to mention winning almost any multiplayer attack they want). Here's the thing, we are all going to be winning only about 50% of our wars. A little more than that and you get promoted to a higher tier, a little less and you get demoted to a lower tier. That doesn't mean you will win 50% every season, but overtime that is about what it will be. That clan of th12 doesn't end up winning many more wars than the clan of th8s. The th12 clan wins their 50% up in higher tiers, but both clans are only winning about 50%.

11) Do we have any chance to move up to higher tiers?

Yes. We started with only 15 tiers in season #1. In season #2 some clans moved into Champs3 and we will have Champs2 in season #3 and Champs1 in season #4. As those stronger clans move up, the stronger clans from lower tiers get to move up as well. Just staying as you are probably will slowly result in you being able to move up, or at least to be average in your current tier. However, remember this system rewards progression. Season #6 is a long time after season #1 and base progression has never been easier in the history of clash. How much defense and offense can you upgrade between now and then? What about by season #12? Active clans that upgrade a lot will have an easier time pushing higher than inactive clans which stay the same with their base progression.

13) Will there ever be any changes?

Given that it's only the 2nd season of the War Leagues, we're still looking at early empirical data on how the system can be improved. When we rolled out the Clan Games feature, we gradually started adding and changing some of its functionality as we monitored how it was being used.

The same will happen with the War Leagues. We've already got a few ideas on how we want to improve it going forward.

14) What happens if we start a search but the timer ends before we are grouped together with 7 other clans?

This #14 used to list changes that I wanted to see, but I have edited it out to answer this question instead as it is more appropriate for a sticky note. Some of the discussion below relates to changes I noted at the time of making this thread originally and that is ok I think. Anyway, a quote from Darian was posted in another thread answering this question: your search will continue and you still should get put into a war league. What some have suspected is that perhaps you will be in one of the ones with less than 7 clans, though. If anyone is experiencing this either way, please fill us in and let us know.

As long as your normal Clan War ends before the sign up period for the Clan War Leagues is over, you will be able to participate.
    15) Where did the war info tab go?

It looks like for season #3 the war info tab for the enemy clan was removed. This is probably because it was used previously to see what accounts the other clan had planned to be in war.

16) What are the maximum medals we can store/hold at one time?

2500 is the max and then they convert to gems.
    Last edited by 2222; February 3rd, 2019 at 02:10 PM.

Contact SC here. Click here to see how trophies are calculated. Click here for answer on how cc troops deploy (hint, it depends) and more info here. How is war map placement of max halls determined you ask, check out threads like this one. Thank you SC for the new legends! I'd start it at 5500 and let farmers play 5000-5500, but overall it is a great improvement.

Sticky this please!!!!
    TMBG War Clan always recruiting - Wars with TH8-12
    TMBG Discord server:
    https://discord.gg/aXdgW6w
    TH10 - Doctor Worm permamax (for now)
    TH11 - doug 50/50/20 heroes

Thank you for summarizing info SC provided about CWL. I didnít know the one about search time (to prevent win-trading). About the changes you proposed:
    - I donít feel the need for more tiers. Of course there are unwinnable wars, but every clan makes mistakes, and we happened to win wars in cwl which we though we had no chances of winning
    - completely agree medal rewards should be adjusted. Clans should look forward to climbing up, not stay low for easy wins
    - I like bonus packs the way they are. Clans may rotate the bonus if they want everyone to get them, but I think it should be given to top performers. Not everyone contributes equally to the tournament (for instance: missed attacks)
    - I like the idea of having in-game sister clans. Even proposed it in that QoL post. And cwl could be included in that, why not? Iíd support it.

nice thread.
    Last edited by RagnarFurias; November 19th, 2018 at 02:48 AM.
    Nothing here stays the same forever. You must learn to change as the game changes, or clash will force you one way or another.

Forum Elder
    Awesome post. Hope this becomes a sticky as well.

Awesome post. One item I have issue with. Running two teams. How do you deal with placement? You can't lock players. Real life happens. Rosters shift. Imo, that requires weighting on active roster. Sounds simple but holy cow, very complex.

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarFurias View Post
    Thank you for summarizing info SC provided about CWL. I didn’t know the one about search time (to prevent win-trading). About the changes you proposed:
    - I don’t feel the need for more tiers. Of course there are unwinnable wars, but every clan makes mistakes, and we happened to win wars in cwl which we though we had no chances of winning
    - completely agree medal rewards should be adjusted. Clans should look forward to climbing up, not stay low for easy wins
    - I like bonus packs the way they are. Clans may rotate the bonus if they want everyone to get them, but I think it should be given to top performers. Not everyone contributes equally to the tournament (for instance: missed attacks)
    - I like the idea of having in-game sister clans. Even proposed it in that QoL post. And cwl could be included in that, why not? I’d support it.

nice thread.
    My thought for more tiers is mostly related to the huge gap there is between tiers, not necessarily some unwinnable wars. To go from totally dominating to totally getting destroyed from one tier to the next with the same clan just seems a bit much to me. If there was another tier between those perhaps it would be more of a smooth transition. Perhaps the addition of Champs1 and Champs2 will be enough. But I think we need more and I’m hoping we have Titans1-3 and Legends1-3 planned. It is also possible we just had the bad luck of being in a very hard league in our first season in Masters2 and the bad luck of a very easy (yes, I think that is bad luck too, the wars aren’t even close) league in this second season in Masters3.

Contact SC here. Click here to see how trophies are calculated. Click here for answer on how cc troops deploy (hint, it depends) and more info here. How is war map placement of max halls determined you ask, check out threads like this one. Thank you SC for the new legends! I'd start it at 5500 and let farmers play 5000-5500, but overall it is a great improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Piper139 View Post
    Awesome post. One item I have issue with. Running two teams. How do you deal with placement? You can't lock players. Real life happens. Rosters shift. Imo, that requires weighting on active roster. Sounds simple but holy cow, very complex.
    Yeah, that might be a pipe dream but for big clans I think they would love it. I would deal with placement the same way I would deal with creating a second clan. I’d divide up the players and assign each one to one of the rosters (with more than 15 on each). It basically would just allow a clan to run two league teams without having to create a second clan (which many are doing). Making it easier would make it more common which would increase the player participation and would also increase the number of clans in the tiers which would help make it better. I have no idea about the coding side, though, it might be asking for way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by 2222 View Post
    Yeah, that might be a pipe dream but for big clans I think they would love it. I would deal with placement the same way I would deal with creating a second clan. I’d divide up the players and assign each one to one of the rosters (with more than 15 on each). It basically would just allow a clan to run two league teams without having to create a second clan (which many are doing). Making it easier would make it more common which would increase the player participation and would also increase the number of clans in the tiers which would help make it better. I have no idea about the coding side, though, it might be asking for way too much.
    I really agree that in concept, it would be beautiful. Really active clans could run 3 groups. The interface would be very tricky and then we get into that sticky wicket of weighting. I dunno. I really feel like leagues are going to be like builder base. You love it, ot hate it, not much in between. Or like me, love bb when I'm doing well, not so much other times. But again, awesome job on the op.

Forum Elder
    In a competitive & cloudless Legend League
    This is quite a helpful post, thank you for making it. It should help clear up any confusion about certain features or parts of Clan War Leagues.
    👊🏼 Mister 008 and Rusher 008, Co-Leader of Venum Elite 👊🏼 Mister 008- TH12.5, 65/65/40
    Walls:
    ALL ZAPS
    PR: 5573 🏆 #4896 🌎 and #262 🇺🇸

Banned
    I hope this get stickied. Basically everyone should read before creating complaining thread regarding CWL.

I would add:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2222 View Post
    8) Does it help to "rush" my base for war leagues?

Yes, it does help to strategically rush your base for war leagues. A player that is new to th9, for example, could strategically rush to th11 and be stronger on offense AND defense than the other player that stays at th9 working on maxing it out. Remember, there is no weight considered in war leagues. What provides more defensive advantage, some infernos or the same amount of gold spent on walls?

However, weight is still considered for regular wars. So, if you plan to use the account in regular wars you have to consider that. Building big heavy defenses can definitely hurt you in regular wars if you do not have the offensive power (often heroes) to keep up.
    Rushing is definitely an early strategy, but it may not be a good strategy in the long term due to below reasons:
    1. Your rushed base will be a liability in the Clan War due to war matchmaking.
    2. You will have issue keeping resources due to weak base and weak troops that requires you to farm higher TH level base.
    3. Eventually, your rushed base will become a liability in the Clan War League after few seasons of promotion.
    Last edited by WinterMech; November 19th, 2018 at 07:59 AM.