Thread: Clan Improvements

Clan Improvements

So, after a couple of months leading a very successful clan I've come to see exactly how everything seems to work, and there are some improvements or additions that I feel should be made that could really help clan leaders and members alike.

1. Clan Name Changes
    I've seen this idea suggested many times, but I'm going to add it here because it fits so well. The ability to change your clan name. There are a couple of ways to do this so there is no unnecessary trolling or anything, but it seems to be a wanted addition overall. One possibility is that a certain percentage of the members in the clan have to agree to the name change. Another suggested option is to make the change cost gems, whether the leader has to pay it all or if a clan "pot" could be created so all members could contribute. I've also seen some suggestions that it could be unlocked as a sort of perk when you level up. Personally, I think that you should be able to change your clan name once your clan hits level 5. Only the leader can do this, and it is free. Once your clan hits level 10, the option to change the name is available again for free. This will stack up with your name change from level 5, and it continues to do this every 5 clan levels. Another very possible option is to do the clan name changes similarly to village name changes.

2. Queuing Wars
    A way to queue a war so it starts immediately after your last war ends or at a specific time that you choose would be very nice. You would start the war normally, but then you would choose to start it immediately after your war ends, or at a specific time. I'm not a programmer or anything, but this doesn't seem like a huge task, and I feel as if it would be very helpful. My clan starts wars right after the other ends, and while we do this very efficiently, this addition would still be very helpful. Note: This feature would just start the war search at the selected time, as if a leader started it manually.

3. Player Clan History Log
    This is in the common idea index but I feel as if it should be briefly mentioned here, as I'm adding many more ideas to this thread. Anyways, a way to see a player's clan history when they request to join your clan would be very helpful. This would have two main purposes. Firstly, it could stop spies from the other clan during clan wars, though not completely if they have an alt that has never joined their clan, it would still reduce it a lot and this alt would still be suspicious if they've constantly joined new clans. Secondly, it would help to stop clan hoppers, as people would be more hesitant to accept someone that has frequently joined and left clans. While some clans would still accept these hoppers, many wouldn't, which would make them much less efficient and most likely encourage many of them to permanently join clans.

4. Clan Games Log
    Another suggestion that I believe I've seen before that I think should be added is a clan games log. This would work similarly to the war log, and have its own button beside the war log. The war log button could also be turned into a general "Logs" button to save space, which you would click and get the option to go to the war log or games log. A donation log is also a possibility here, though I feel like that would be more complicated. The games log would show the clan's total points for the last 15 games that they have participated in. You would also have the option to see details for the last games, which would show how many points every member got. This option would be available for 5 days after the games have been ended.

5. Sister/Feeder Clan Recognition & Grand Clans
    This is mentioned in the common ideas index briefly, but my idea here goes a bit further I think. This idea is probably a longshot but I think that it could be very cool and potentially very helpful to some players. Recently I have started to plan a sister clan, as my own clan has become full and I'm running out of people that I can reasonably kick. It would be very helpful if some way to acknowledge sister/feeder clans, other than just mentioning it in your clan description. Maybe an option in the edit tab that allows you to officially add a sister clan (the leader of the other clan would have to agree). That is the least interactive way of this connection. Another possibility is some sort of chatting system or something that can directly connect the two clans. My favourite idea, though this is also the most ambitious, is a sort of larger or grand clan that can be created. Individual clans could join this grand clan, similarly to how members join normal clans. There would be a maximum of 10 clans in one grand clan. There would be one leader of the grand clan, who would be able to appoint members of the different clans as co-leaders. This concept could then be taken in multiple different directions too. The grand clan's leader could have total power over the clans, basically being the leader of the different clans. This could work very well for some sister/feeder clans, as the original leader could also be the leader of the other clan without using alt accounts. Clans that join the grand clan could also have the option to give the grand clan's leader authority over their clan. This would allow some clans to join the grand clan, but not give up any power, similarly again to how members join a normal clan. I like this idea the most, as it allows connected sister/feeder clans to have the same leader, but also allows other clans to potentially join a grand clan without giving anything up. This could open the door to some cool events too, such as a grand clan-wide clan games, where you need a lot more points to win the prizes. An idea that I think is cool is a competition related to the games, where 5 grand clans all compete to get the most games points overall in a couple of days (players don't have a max point limit). Overall, this idea may be a bit of a stretch, but I think that it would be really cool and very helpful to sister/feeder clans. Even if the grand clan idea isn't added or considered, some addition that recognizes sister/feeder clans would always be nice too.

6. More Ranks
    This was also mentioned in the index but I didn't really find any semi-successful, semi-recent threads with similar ideas to mine. In my clan, ranks are strictly earned, as they are in many other clans. Because of this, I can say from experience that I think an extra rank or two may be helpful. Firstly, a rank between elder and member. This rank doesn't gain any perms or anything, but it would be a way to sort of confirm a member as a member of your clan. Once they've been there for a bit and seem like they may stay, they can get promoted. If they're on thin ice and you're debating kicking them, you demote them back to member, which would be a good way to tell them to step up their game without actually saying that. I think that this rank would make more sense to be called member, and new players in the clan should get a new rank name. This could be something similar to trainee or novice, though I prefer novice.. I think that a good idea of a second rank is actually below elder again, as I think that elders have a little bit too much power for the first promotion right now. I think that this rank should be able to invite and accept members into the clan, as well as promote and demote players to and from the novice rank. The elder rank would be able to promote anyone to this rank and demote people of this rank or lower. This rank could be called something like apprentice, senior member, or officer. This name elder could actually work for this rank too, and the rank that is between this rank and co-leader could be renamed. This rank could be called officer too, or something like chief or captain. Personally, I think that elder works best as the lower rank and that officer is a good name for the higher rank. This would all mean that the order of ranks would go:

Novice - No permissions.
    Member - No permissions, purely cosmetic change meaning that someone is seen as a more permanent member of the clan.
    Elder - Able to invite/accept players to the clan, as well as promote novices to members and demote members to novices.
    Officer - Has the elder's permissions, as well as being able to kick players, promote members to elders and demote elders to members.
    Co-Leader - Has the officer's permissions, but is also able to edit the clan's details, start clan wars, and send a clan mail. Can also promote elders to officer and demote officers to elder.
    Leader - Has the co-leader's permissions, but they can also promote officers to co-leaders, promote co-leaders to leader, and demote co-leaders to officer. This rank can only belong to one person. If the previous idea to change clan names is implemented, then it can only be initiated by the leader.

One permission that could be reasonably changed there is co-leaders not being able to promote other players to co-leaders. This is different from the current permissions in the game, but I changed it in my list to keep consistency with the other ranks. With these new ranks, I suggest that a way to easily promote someone multiple times is available, as some clans choose to promote all of their members to certain ranks. This could be done by changing the current "Promote to [rank directly above player]" and "Demote to [rank directly below player]" buttons to general "Promote" and "Demote" buttons. After clicking them, a new window would appear that lists each rank that they could be promoted or demoted to. After selecting the rank, a confirmation message would appear, as per usual. Personally, I think that two confirmation messages should appear when promoting someone to leader, just to be safe. Another possible solution is to add an option in the clan's edit tab that allows the leader to remove specific ranks.

7. Tagging Players in Chat
    This feature would allow you to tag certain players in a chat message. This would cause that message to stay at the top of bottom of the chat for that player until they read it, or a certain amount of time (maybe 3 days or a week) has passed, then it will get deleted. This would help members communicate to specific other members without the use of a third party app, as they can make sure the message that they send to a message to a certain player(s) is definitely seen by that player. As a leader, I know that this could be very helpful, as you can make sure that players see your reminders, tips, or general messages to them. There are a couple of ways that this could be implemented. I would say that mentioning their name or something similar in your message or tagging a player similarly to how tagging players work in Discord would tag them, but I'm not sure if that would work in CoC with player tags being the main identifier. You could possibly hold your finger on the message for a couple of seconds until the option comes up, then a list of players in the clan, similar to the one that you see when starting wars, shows up & you choose who to tag. If this idea was added, it may be best to keep it rank-exclusive. I think that either my previously mentioned member rank should get it, or it should be kept for leaders/co-leaders.

8. Extra Clan Perks.
    An extra incentive to continue levelling up your clan after level 10 would be nice. These perks shouldn't be like the perks for the first 10 levels, as giving even larger buffs to higher clans may discourage players from starting new clans. I think that some cosmetic perks should be added. There are a couple of possibilities with this. You could gain the ability to change the background of your clan's in-game page or the war page. The previously mentioned name change idea could be worked into this as well. Some different designs for buildings/troops (maybe just the clan castle?) could become available, though I'm not sure if that's possible. Every 5 levels each member in the clan could receive a free statue that will be lost if they leave the clan. It could be the same basic statue for each clan, the leader could choose from multiple options which statue his clans gets, or the member could choose from multiple options. A way to create a custom flag could be cool, though probably too difficult to be realistic. I think that some sort of structure that has your clan's badge on it could be really cool, especially for a milestone. These structures could also appear off to the side, around the edge of the base too, rather than being normal decoration blocks. The leader having an option to switch the frame around your clan's badge back to previously unlocked frames could also be nice. These cosmetic perks could be worked into the first ten levels as well, potentially pushing back some of the current perks so clans get them later. A problem with that could be that some clans already have the current perks, so changing them up may make people mad.

Well, those are all of my ideas. These are mostly QoL improvements, and I don't think that some of them are too hard to add (still not a developer or anything so I don't really know), but I would love to see them and I'm always accepting critiscm or suggestions too. Thanks and clash on!
    Last edited by Yoshi771; November 9th, 2018 at 12:51 AM.

1. Darian has stated this is something they're looking into, though there's been no indication of a timetable of when (or even if) it's going to officially happen.

2. How is it supposed to automatically start a new war if some people from the previous war decided to opt out, while additional members who weren't in the last war decide to opt in, thus creating a potential situation where the total number of people who opted in is not a multiple of 5? Example: 15v15 war ends, but 4 people from that war opted out, while 7 people who weren't in that war opted in. That leaves you with 18 members opted in. War search can't start with 18 members opted in, so what happens? Does it exclude 3 members who opted in? Does it include 2 members who opted out? There's a lot more issues you didn't think about with this one.

3. Go to www.clashofstats.com, type the player tag, and you'll be able to see their clan history.

4. This would be a nice addition. We have clan war log so I see no reason why we can't also have a clan games log.

5. There could be some serious leadership issues involved with this. If a clan joins the grand clan and surrenders power to the grand clan leader but later decide that they don't want to be part of the grand clan anymore due to differing opinions with the grand clan leader, then what? Are they out of luck? Because the grand clan leader is highly unlikely to let them leave. I think it's best to just have a separate leader in each sister clan rather than one leader with absolute authority. Perhaps there could be an indication on a clan's profile indicating that they're part of a larger family and there would be shortcut tabs linking to the other clans and their members.

6. More ranks just overly complicates the balanced system we have now. There's so few permissions that each successive rank has over the one below it that delegating a few of them to new ranks just creates more confusion. It's fine as it is now.

7. While it would be helpful, it'd also be rather annoying if I'm getting spammed with notifications because someone in my clan decides to be a troll or because they keep begging for troops. Plus this could completely clog up the chat if several members in the clan tag other members, thus causing the chat messages to all be pinned at the bottom and you wouldn't even see new messages come in. This idea is too similar to private messaging which itself is also highly susceptible to abuse by people who will spam you with nonsensical chat messages. It's better to leave it the way it is and use a third party app. That way players have the freedom to NOT be bothered by private messaging or tagging.

8. Darian has stated that they have no intention of new clan perks due to it causing new, lower level clans to be undesirable.
    https://forum-content.supercell.com/signaturepics/sigpic1628699_2.gif
    | TH11 | BK 36 | AQ 40 | GW 6 |

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix1027 View Post
    1. Darian has stated this is something they're looking into, though there's been no indication of a timetable of when (or even if) it's going to officially happen.

2. How is it supposed to automatically start a new war if some people from the previous war decided to opt out, while additional members who weren't in the last war decide to opt in, thus creating a potential situation where the total number of people who opted in is not a multiple of 5? Example: 15v15 war ends, but 4 people from that war opted out, while 7 people who weren't in that war opted in. That leaves you with 18 members opted in. War search can't start with 18 members opted in, so what happens? Does it exclude 3 members who opted in? Does it include 2 members who opted out? There's a lot more issues you didn't think about with this one.

3. Go to www.clashofstats.com, type the player tag, and you'll be able to see their clan history.

4. This would be a nice addition. We have clan war log so I see no reason why we can't also have a clan games log.

5. There could be some serious leadership issues involved with this. If a clan joins the grand clan and surrenders power to the grand clan leader but later decide that they don't want to be part of the grand clan anymore due to differing opinions with the grand clan leader, then what? Are they out of luck? Because the grand clan leader is highly unlikely to let them leave. I think it's best to just have a separate leader in each sister clan rather than one leader with absolute authority. Perhaps there could be an indication on a clan's profile indicating that they're part of a larger family and there would be shortcut tabs linking to the other clans and their members.

6. More ranks just overly complicates the balanced system we have now. There's so few permissions that each successive rank has over the one below it that delegating a few of them to new ranks just creates more confusion. It's fine as it is now.

7. While it would be helpful, it'd also be rather annoying if I'm getting spammed with notifications because someone in my clan decides to be a troll or because they keep begging for troops. Plus this could completely clog up the chat if several members in the clan tag other members, thus causing the chat messages to all be pinned at the bottom and you wouldn't even see new messages come in. This idea is too similar to private messaging which itself is also highly susceptible to abuse by people who will spam you with nonsensical chat messages. It's better to leave it the way it is and use a third party app. That way players have the freedom to NOT be bothered by private messaging or tagging.

8. Darian has stated that they have no intention of new clan perks due to it causing new, lower level clans to be undesirable.
    1. I am very aware that Darian has commented on this but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be brought up. The more attention an idea gets, the higher the chance that it will be added, so I figured I might as well add the idea to this thread since I was already going to write about the other ideas.

2. First of all, obviously wars wouldn't start without a proper selection of players. You can't start wars with 18 players now can you? The way that I envisioned this working is that war would be started normally and set for a specific time (right after wars or having another way of setting the time, maybe up to 1 or 2 days in advance). This would mean that the leader/co-leader would choose the people in the war the same way that they normally do. Preferably this could be edited afterwards, before the war search actually starts. This all means that once the war is "started", opting in and out would do nothing. A co-leader or leader would have to change it. This could be a problem for clans that only using the opting in/out system if they have members that change this status last minute, but overall it doesn't seem like a huge problem to me.

3. To be honest this website is pretty inconvenient to load up, write in their player tag and check every single time that a member requests to join, especially since most clans will have numerous people accepting players. The data isn't really very accurate either, as my own data is kind of sporadic for no reason, though it may suffice to see the information that I was looking for. To me the question is mainly how long an addition to the game would take to develop & how much memory it would take. This would only really need the last month or 2 of a player's data to work, so it could always get cut off as well, which could help with its memory usage.

5. I was mainly thinking that the power should be given to the grand clan leader for sister/feeder clans, though there are some solutions that I think could work. Firstly, maybe if the grand clan leader originally makes the clan or is made the leader of it normally they could have the full authority. Another possible solution is if a certain percentage of the members in the clan agree to leave the grand clan (50%?) then they could leave, despite the grand clan leader being granted full authority. I think of this working by each member getting sent a clan mail about leaving which the can either agree or disagree with, similarly to how clan invitations work. Either way the grand clan not having full authority wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

6. I feel as if new roles is already a decently popular suggestion. One of my main concerns with the number of ranks is that the ability to differentiate members is definitely lacking. You only have 3 ranks to separate members, one of which gives basically full power, while the other is the rank you get when joining the clan. The novice rank that I suggest is largely to combat this, though the officer rank is probably better overall. Another potential concern that players may have (I don't because it isn't easy to get elder in my clan due to the lack of ranks), is that if you promote someone than you absolutely have to give them the ability to kick, there's no option. I feel as if this might be why some clans just promote everyone to co-leader, which defeats the purpose of ranks, so stopping that would be nice. A way to learn what perks each rank have in the game without testing or looking it up would always be nice anyway, especially for newer players.

7. This possibility is the main reason why I suggest making it a leader/co-leader exclusive ability. Maybe if there was a cooldown too? Even with a third-party app in the clan this could always be helpful, especially to players that don't want the hassle of downloading another entire app just for Clash of Clans. Another possibility is that they could turn the tagging feature off. Overall, especially with a cooldown on the ability, I feel as if tagging wouldn't create a huge inconvenice. My idea was that the message would appear over the other messages when you open the chat and clicking it would make it dissapear. There wouldn't be any notification for them either (the entire purpose is to keep the message there so they see it when logging on), so I'm not completely sure how much of an inconvenience it would be.

8. I am aware that Darian has said this as well, but was it ever explicitly stated in regards to cosmetic perks? That was the entire purpose of my idea, as my second sentence even said, "These perks shouldn't be like the perks for the first 10 levels, as giving even larger buffs to higher clans may discourage players from starting new clans." Believe me when I say that I know how great the perks are and how much it can hurt not having them, I left a level 9 clan (almost all of the perks) to create a brand new clan. That is why I suggested cosmetic perks, to make levelling up higher clans still feel like you're gaining something, while also making it so players aren't discouraged from joining lower level clans. The customized badge decoration could also potentially encourage some players to make their own clan, as the perk is personal in a way.
    Last edited by Yoshi771; November 5th, 2018 at 10:34 PM.

Forum Champion
    2. You would never find a match (feel like I’ve been typing this a lot lately.) How many other clans do you think are looking to start a war at the exact same time and will also be able to match with your clan? Lots of clans are already waiting hours and days to find a match. Adding another condition, like a certain start time, would make an already tedious job of “fair” matchmaking impossible.

5. Honestly, I’ve always thought some kind of clan families system would be a great addition to the game. It gets suggested here every once and a while and I’m sure SC has/is considered the idea. I’d be happy with just being able to claim clans in “your family” and establishing a leader/head clan. No other ranks needed. All I want is to jump between sister clans and keep my rank and stats like donations.
    Last edited by Bigdome757; November 5th, 2018 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdome757 View Post
    2. You would never find a match (feel like I’ve been typing this a lot lately.) How many other clans do you think are looking to start a war at the exact same time and will also be able to match with your clan? Lots of clans are already waiting hours and days to find a match. Adding another condition, like a certain start time, would make an already tedious job of “fair” matchmaking impossible.
    I think you're misunderstanding OP (or perhaps I am...)
    The start time wouldn't be another matchmaking parameter, just the time the game "clicks" the search button for you.
    For example, I'm always the one to start our wars. Next war search is Tuesday evening. Well, I'm busy on Tuesday evening. So rather than sending my list of 15 people to another coleader and trust they'll start the war, I could set those 15 people today, set the search time to 10pm on Tuesday, then click go. Then it's scheduled and I can go about my evening without having to worry about how I'm going to start a war at our regular time.

I'm not a fan of the feature primarily because of cost vs benefit. New UI to set a time. Issues with time zones. Issues with daylight savings time. Delays due to maintenance breaks (which could lead to overlap conflicts). Server side code to run the timer / set the event. A new source for bugs. Overall, a high cost and a complex feature that everyone can really do without compared to other features where the devs could spend their resources.
    Last edited by JohnnyPC; November 6th, 2018 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPC View Post
    I think you're misunderstanding OP (or perhaps I am...)
    The start time wouldn't be another matchmaking parameter, just the time the game "clicks" the search button for you.
    For example, I'm always the one to start our wars. Next war search is Tuesday evening. Well, I'm busy on Tuesday evening. So rather than sending my list of 15 people to another coleader and trust they'll start the war, I could set those 15 people today, set the search time to 10pm on Tuesday, then click go. Then it's scheduled and I can go about my evening without having to worry about how I'm going to start a war at our regular time.

I'm not a fan of the feature primarily because of cost vs benefit. New UI to set a time. Issues with time zones. Issues with daylight savings time. Delays due to maintenance breaks (which could lead to overlap conflicts). Server side code to run the timer / set the event. A new source for bugs. Overall, a high cost and a complex feature that everyone can really do without compared to other features where the devs could spend their resources.
    I think that you got it. The feature would just start the war search at the time, the war doesn't start then, just the normal search that always happens. I appreciate the feedback you gave and some if it can be actual issues that I didn't completely think about. I'm not a developer, nor do I know much of anything about developing, so I'm not sure how big these potential problems that you mentioned are, so I can't really comment on it. All I can personally say is that I think the feature would be helpful if these aren't big problems, but if they would genuinely mess the system up or something then the feature, of course, isn't worth too much effort.