Thread: What are your opinions of the CoC IFR subforum?

What are your opinions of the CoC IFR subforum?

Clash of Clans - Ideas and Feature Requests… I’ve been thinking about it (the actual forums, not new ideas) for some time now, and it got me wondering what other forumers think of IFR. So, if you would like, feel free to share and discuss your opinions…

Maybe some questions to consider along with your opinion could be:

1.)How often do you visit IFR?
    2.)How often do you reply to a post in IFR?
    3.)Why do you visit IFR?

Also, currently, there are over 134,340 individual threads in IFR. Quite a few of these threads are started by Fresh Spawn. Typically, unreplied to threads scroll off of the first page in less than 24 hours. (When Viewing 20 threads per page)

There are five Sticky threads maintained by the moderators. All of them were created before 2015. Two of them focus on ideas already presented, and have [Must Read Before Posting] in their title. Two of them are dedicated to creation of troops and spells, and the last one is a “welcome” to the subforum.

There has also been some previous discussions of IFR in these two threads: CoC IFR and Clash Royal IFR (no longer running, but had similar issues)

Thanks for pointing them out DeltaDroid4 and PaluEF
    Last edited by MexicanBob; 1 Week Ago at 04:32 AM. Reason: Added links

1.)Currently, I visit IFR about once a week. However, I rarely look beyond the 2nd page. Also, I have avoided IFR for the better part of a year (haven’t made time). I do tend to visit more often when I have posted an idea of my own.

2.)I Pretty much never respond to posts. It usually seems that others have already addressed the idea, or it just doesn’t interest me. However, I did consider becoming an honorary member of the “ruled out police” in order to drive my post count higher…

3.)I visit IFR mainly because I enjoy the creativity. Although, it does seem that good ideas are few and far between. I also like having the possibility of submitting any ideas that I might have for the game.

Thinking of Hazy’s fresh spawn thread, Ideas and Feature Request is what brought me to these forums. (No, I did not request a flag...) So, the IFR subforum is a special place for me. Now however, I hardly ever go there. Honestly It feels kind of like sifting for gold. If you are really lucky, maybe a great thread will be bumped up to the first page, and you strike it rich. More often than not, you end up sifting through incoherent one sentence requests for Flags, Name Change Clan Name Changes, and such.

I have read multiple posts saying that IFR is the place where threads get moved to so they can die. While that reasoning, is not correct, threads do tend to get buried and die pretty fast. Some people post in General knowing that they should have posted in IFR, just so that they can get more views.

There is also a recent thread in General that accuses SC staff and moderators of not providing feedback in IFR, and not listening/responding to most of the ideas… However, In spite of emotional pain and threatened head patting, Lach has kindly voiced his desire to have a more “visible presence” in IFR. But seriously, where would he start, or even find the time to logically respond to every single idea? (I wouldn’t mind seeing that spreadsheet however)

So to sum up my opinions of IFR: I like the premise behind it. I really appreciate all of the awesome ideas I find. I wish there was a way to sort through all of the chaff to get to those great ideas. (I have a few thoughts in mind, but I really want to hear everyone else's opinions.)
    Last edited by MexicanBob; 1 Week Ago at 03:53 PM. Reason: Figured out how to add a strikethrough!!!

The Lost Little Growlithe DeltaDroid4's Avatar
    Once a week or so. I only visit the CoC I&FR (and previously CR I&FR before it was closed). I generally try and avoid it though since the majority of posts there are low quality one line suggestions. Occasionally a decent thread shows up, but most of the time the threads are typical ruled out requests like a goblin king setting a threshold for clan members to reach a in the clan games to earn the rewards.

Almost never. I don't have any interest in repeating the usual "ruled out request" and linking the OP to the stickied thread at the top. If I do come across a high-effort post I may leave behind a positive message and some constructive criticism.

3.)Why do you visit IFR?
    Out of boredom when I'm done reading the subforums I usually visit.

I&FR could be a great place. The CR I&FR group tried dozens of methods to clean up the subforum, including asking for "Junior Moderators" that could patrol the I&FR subforums and clean up all the one sentence threads. It's the only subforum here where I feel community upvoting, like reddit, could actually benefit it. Forumers could downvote the low quality requests, leaving the high quality threads that people would be interested in reading, bringing more attention and activity to I&FR.
    bu8h9ophnosh80ohr0awpzshvcjawhv9fhiwnevs

Quote Originally Posted by MexicanBob View Post
    Very rarely now. I used to be often there, replying, trying to help others finetune their ideas, sometimes ‘ruling-out’ but now I know how it works, and I don’t bother anymore much... Sometimes when there is nothing interesting anymore I go check the ideas and get reminded to not go there too much.
    Even more rarely, and only on content or to help define better some aspects of the idea.
    I post an idea myself here and there, and never go back to see it anymore.
    3.)Why do you visit IFR?
    To post ideas, not to read others’. See why in ‘COC-IFR explained’ below, and follow the link from that thread to another older one...
    10chars. answers in quote.

I like it but half the ideas are by 6 year olds
    The only thing I desire in life is for Lach to accept my friend request

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaDroid4 View Post
    <snip>
    [/B]I&FR could be a great place. The CR I&FR group tried dozens of methods to clean up the subforum, including asking for "Junior Moderators" that could patrol the I&FR subforums and clean up all the one sentence threads. It's the only subforum here where I feel community upvoting, like reddit, could actually benefit it. Forumers could downvote the low quality requests, leaving the high quality threads that people would be interested in reading, bringing more attention and activity to I&FR.
    Thanks for that link, it was a very interesting read, I'll add it to the OP.

I do like the idea of a voting system, but wonder how it would settle out in the end. I don't frequent reddit, but I do remember Sharky's post talking about their highest voted threads. It would be entirely plausible that a dumb Idea would get voted higher than a good one. Although the Forums seems to attract a slightly different crowd than reddit.

Quote Originally Posted by PaluEF View Post
    ...answers in quote.
    I enjoyed reading through your thread from IFR addressing the problems encountered there. I'll also add it to the OP.
    Last edited by MexicanBob; 1 Week Ago at 03:45 PM. Reason: Added link

Forum All-Star
    I visit the IRF sub all the time. Probably every time I log on. I like IFR for a few reasons but some more so than others. If you frequent IFR, you know that every now and then, a genuinely good idea is posted. It’s these gems that I appreciate especially when you can tell that the poster has really put in some work to properly explain their idea. Doesn’t happen often but they do exist. I also go there because I care about this game and the direction it goes. If I see an idea that I think could have bad consequences then I often speak up and try to explain my thinking. Nothing irks me more in IFR than when someone replies to a ruled out idea by just saying “ruled out, read sticky.” Sticky? What the hell is that? I sure didn’t know when I first started coming here and I don’t expect fresh spawns know either. It also seems like an underhanded way to get your post count up. If it’s ruled out and you feel the need to tell the OP so, at least explain why it’s ruled out, if you even know. Sorry. Rant over.
    I would like to see more people come to IFR but I can also understand why they don’t. More than half, if not more, of the posts are the same old gripes. Flags, clouds, clan games, FC cooldown, etc... It’s very rare that an idea is really good enough to gain traction for more than a day or 2. I would also say that Ajax often posts in IFR in his own ah... special way and maybe more mod participation would help IFR, but I doubt it. If there is nothing interesting to comment on or nothing new to add, why comment at all?

Wherever there are the foolish starting new clans, I am there, wagging a finger,
    I like it. I visit every time I am on...

Not a lot of purpose to most of the ideas. They are

a) inane. free gems, free forever shields... that kinda stuff

b) ruled out - loot sharing and loot sharing and loot sharing

c) too complex and require me to really think about it - sorry, no thanks. I am usually in class already... no need for that...

d) no idea what they said. Language barrier is real...

But the forum is fun sometimes. I only visit three rooms I think.... General, Ideas and Requests, Clan Talk. That is all I can think of

I reply sometimes... though seldom to do the "ruled out" thing unless it is a unique situation that is part of something bigger. Ruled out guy can be irksome sometimes. There was once a clasher that posted "ruled out" at least fifty times a day.
    Last edited by Cilakila; 1 Week Ago at 11:20 PM.
    Ending threads one comment at a time.

a) When I have some time on hand after catching up on threads within General. Usually that is once or twice each day.

b) Most post, I do not reply too at all, simply have nothing to say with regards to them. The ones I do reply too tend to be for one of the following:
    - Point that there are already means to achieve the objective.
    - Do not believe the proposer thought out all ramifications and considerations.
    - The suggestion has merit and worth discussion (very, very rare)

As for the upvoting suggestion for threads in I&FR, on that I respectably disagree, just see no value nor purpose for that. In the old Boom Beach forums, and within Clash I think some have the erroneous conclusion that the games are designed by popular demand. They are not. From what I have seen, I do believe that the Team does read and consider viable ideas. They are aware of them.
    Last edited by rowman; 1 Week Ago at 01:59 PM.
    Boom! Aimlessly adrift within the archapeligo
    Clash! ​Adult PuddleHop
    [#PR2P0R0C]
    And yes, that panda is indeed packing major heat! Visit my profile page
    /default photo album to see a larger image.

Senior Member That Little Trophy's Avatar
    Belgium, a beautiful town. Here, you can find the best Fries, chocolate, beer and waffles ever!
    1) I used to check it a lot, when I was fresh spawn, trainee and centennial club, I made a lot of threads (I think I made the longest thread ever in IFR subforum: https://forum.supercell.com/showthread.php/1749287-Th-13-huge-update-idea

Now, I just check it when I have time...

2) when I like or don't like something... I am not the one who reads a thread of 2000+ words 😁. Just sometimes...

3) Becouse I want to 🤔.
    Last edited by That Little Trophy; 1 Week Ago at 10:25 AM.