Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Forums vs. Reddit

Millennial Club Arghacceptmyname's Avatar
    For you CoC and HayDay users out there (both great games but I devoted the bulk of my time to Booming) I hope you don’t lose these forums. Alternatives are frankly awful. It’s a wasteland out there.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrit View Post
    thanks for your time and words buddy thanks for your reply. Hope all the new games of supercell and the ones that are here coc and hay day remain here forever and these games last forever.

never thought you will reply once again thanks

btw I am from India and it's nice to have a conversation with you
    where are you from buddy I know you have live in 2 places one is ocean and the other one is?
    Good to meet you. I'm from the USA. That's one of the great things about the forum - meeting people across the globe. I hope you enjoy your time on the forum.
    SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site

SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site -+- SharkBite YouTube Channel
    USAR (#2GR9YCGR) - Level 22 - 781 Clan War wins
    Private Message - + - Forum Rules - + - Groupme - + - Discord

Reddit is banned in about 40 countries, smart move Supercell, excluding about a billion people from being able to talk about your game.
    Dystopia |:|:| Cacotopia |:|:| Kakistocracy |:|:| Antiutopia

dys·to·pi·a
    (dĭs-tō′pē-ə)n.1. An imaginary place or state in which the condition of life is extremely bad, as from deprivation, oppression, or terror.

Millennial Club
    Quote Originally Posted by CPDystopia View Post
    Reddit is banned in about 40 countries, smart move Supercell, excluding about a billion people from being able to talk about your game.
    They simply don't care about that.

P.S: I wrote a letter to Dictionary.com for adding Tim and Drew as reddit synonyms.

Clash of clans and hay day are still on the forums.
    Last edited by Practical; September 25th, 2018 at 08:04 AM.
    https://i.imgur.com/ByEep0H.png

Click here for my clash of stats profile
    Click here for my forum rpg
    ~PRACTICAL

Humming "The Soft Goodbye" Please see my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Practical View Post
    Clash of clans and hay day are still on the forums.
    Indeed. FYI for those who missed the announcements below.

Hay Day Community Manager Nick on the HD and CoC subforums.
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...1#post11847694

Clash of Clans Community Manager Darian on the CoC subforum.
    https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...1#post11847769
    [move] Dedicating "The Soft Goodbye" to the Supercell forums and the people who made it an awesome community, the brightest star in the evening sky.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDVgb4pJMdI [/move]

I see quite a number of knowledgeable, respectable, wise, senior forumers express their dislike about Reddit.
    I wonder, if/when COC CM decided to move the forum to Reddit, what would happen to those knowledgeable, respectable, wise, senior forumers? Would they move there also or would they prefer quit contributing?

Time will tell. 😊

Humming "The Soft Goodbye" Please see my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobservr View Post
    I see quite a number of knowledgeable, respectable, wise, senior forumers express their dislike about Reddit.
    I wonder, if/when COC CM decided to move the forum to Reddit, what would happen to those knowledgeable, respectable, wise, senior forumers? Would they move there also or would they prefer quit contributing?

Time will tell. 
    In the meantime, the Boomers have answered your question after Team Boom Beach closed its subforum here and moved its channel to Reddit. Most of them didn't relocate to the BB subreddit and instead contributed to the BB forum created by forumite fritzelly.

https://boombeachforum.com/
    Last edited by LynnK2015; September 25th, 2018 at 10:01 AM.
    [move] Dedicating "The Soft Goodbye" to the Supercell forums and the people who made it an awesome community, the brightest star in the evening sky.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDVgb4pJMdI [/move]

9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnK2015 View Post
    In the meantime, the Boomers have answered your question after Team Boom Beach closed its subforum here and moved its channel to Reddit. Most of them didn't relocate to the BB subreddit and instead contributed to the BB forum created by forumite fritzelly.

https://boombeachforum.com/
    Same for the Clash Royale players who have gone here:

https://communityroyale.com/
    SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site

SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site -+- SharkBite YouTube Channel
    USAR (#2GR9YCGR) - Level 22 - 781 Clan War wins
    Private Message - + - Forum Rules - + - Groupme - + - Discord

When talking about the pros and cons of reddit vs the forums, you'll see that it's not all black and white when concerning both platforms. Even though I prefer the overall better discussion breeding of the forums, reddit has it's own merits as well.

But what causes the difference in the first place? Well, it's mainly due to Reddit's system to weed out content along with the audience that makes the biggest difference in content versus the forum's system and audience.

The first part of the difference is the system. Reddit has a semi-complicated system where it weighs the ratings, recency, and amount of comments to show the "best" posts on the top. This is also somewhat applied to the comments as well (without the recency effect iirc), and this causes the posts that do not receive the most votes to be buried under the "new" or "rising" category. What this causes is controversial discussions or just regular questions in general to be buried which can look good for certain companies that don't want their image tarnished by toxicity. But, discussion about updates or solutions to problems will be thrown down in favor of witty threads that will be updated more. But, the recency effect is the biggest issue when trying to breed discussion as posts will be buried in a day, so this causes controversial issues to be slid under the rug due to time.

Most forums on the other hand rely on a simpler system where the most recent comments to a post are shown at the top. This, while somewhat disadvantageous towards threads that don't get many replies (like analysis threads in my personal experience), ends up breeding more discussion, and a controversial thread will breed the most discussion and rise to the top. So, some companies might look at that as a bad thing. This of course will make high quality threads end up being buried if they don't breed enough discussion compared to threads that inherently breed disucssion. So, while high quality threads can definitely have a chance, they will to be buried much quicker when compared to other threads. No recency effect is here as well, so as long as people are willing to discuss a particular subject, it will still be on the top. But, if someone actually brings up a new discussion on an old topic, they can revive an old thread so willing that they don't break the rules.

The other part of the puzzle is audience. Now, reddit while thinking they might be hardcore is a very causal audience in nature. While the posters might be more hardcore, most of the people who vote or view the site are causal. So, they do not want to spend much time on Reddit reading, and they will vote on things that are a.) Funny and b.) To the point. So, they will vote on memes, art, picture ideas, replays, etc. Basically if it's somewhat entertaining and doesn't take much time to read, it will be at the top while high quality threads will be somewhat low. I've posted long-form content on clash royale's subreddit, and I've only gotten 160 upvotes at most, and a meme can get up to 1k on any day. So, it's extremely difficult to receive recognition due to the audience because of the power that the casual audience has.

But, because the casual audience has no power on the forums, the forums only showcase hardcore topics and discussions that can be controversial. And, since reputation is only something that has no effect on the forums besides prestige, the casual audience cannot have affect which threads will be most prominent.

So, reddit has the pros of burying controversial threads and toxicity along with appealing to a causal audience while the forums appeal to the hardcore audience and breeds more discussion.

The other CMs made their choice in weighing the pros and cons of the decision and most likely preferred the pros of reddit over the pros of the forums. Now, I don't have to agree with their decision, but everyone should at least understand why they did it and passed judgement on the call. Obviously I probably shouldn't even be talking about decisions made, but I at least want everyone to know what they might have been thinking when exhibiting certain actions.

Anyway, I prefer the forums myself. While reddit would honestly be better for me when I create analysis threads (as I'm not a super huge discussion guy), the power of the casual audience just makes reddit a slog to try to get noticed.

Trust me, if this forum had a modified system where rep had a little bit of a factor, I would not think that it would bother people because of the lack of a casual audience.

Some food for thought for those who are vehemently opposed to reddit.

And note that I joke about reddit because it's kind of something I like to do and not because I actually don't like the platform.
    Last edited by MathChamp; September 26th, 2018 at 09:03 PM.
    "Thou shalt not divide by zero" (Calculus says differently)
    Just a Guy on Discord Now