Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Changes to Wall and Building Upgrades (Version 2.44)

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

Post Changes to Wall and Building Upgrades (Version 2.44)

As you guys have noticed, with the latest update we made two changes to how upgrading works. First of all, we made it so that upgrading walls now require an available builder. Secondly, we made it so that cancelling an upgrade no longer gives back the full price. These changes were made to make increase the amount of loot you can get from attacking.

Previously, one player could "bank" quite a lot of resources in to the building upgrades. After they would be attacked and shielded, they would cancel the upgrade get all of the resources back. The problem was that the higher levels players we're getting so good at "banking" the resources that it was really, really hard to find a match with good loot.

Building upgrades main design purpose is to make your village stronger, not to bank resources. We did not want to remove the cancelling of upgrades completely, so we decided to go with not refunding the total cost of the upgrades. This is actually more in line with for example selling buildings, which do not refund the whole price either.

We realize that this might feel like a big change for those who we're actively using this method to bank resources, but in reality it is not as bad as it might feel at first. You still cannot lose all your resources to an enemy attack, as the max loot the enemy can steal is a set percentage of your total resources. This change also makes it possible for you to loot more by attacking other players, which is always nice.

As for the Wall upgrades changes, the point here was also to add more loot into the multiplayer. Previously it was bit too easy just to dump all excess gold into your walls, thus making it unavailable for attackers to steal. We wanted to keep this still a possibility, but to make the decision if you really want to do this a bit harder. Now you can still do this but you need to have a worker available. So now it's a choice of actively upgrading your walls while attacking, or upgrading something else while attacking. And the more important choices we can offer you guys the more the game will have depth.

So all in all, we made these changes to give you guys more loot while attacking. It might be bit early to tell as its been less than a day since we put this live, but from what weve heard in-game people seem to like the new increased amounts of loot. Perhaps you no longer have the need to bank resources, as you can just go and steal what you need from others!

Quote Originally Posted by Rauta View Post
    The problem was that the higher levels players we're getting so good at "banking" the resources that it was really, really hard to find a match with good loot.
    Anybody could do this, so I don't think it was a "high level" problem.

Anyway, I posted this in another thread, which I'm sure you'll see, but please allow us to cancel our upgrades without a penalty if we've not logged out. This will prevent the whoops factor, which I'm sure you'll hear a lot about soon.

I just lost 700K elixir because I didn't know I needed a builder to upgrade my walls. I started an upgrade on my barracks, then immediately tried to upgrade my wall. Found I needed a builder, so I cancelled my barracks upgrade which I had just started, upgraded my walls, then went to resume my barracks upgrade, and found that I couldn't because I no longer had enough.

A fundamental flaw of popup dialogs is that people don't read them. I had read the "Are you sure" part, then glazed over the rest (especially since I had read it before). Anyway, this is likely to become a real problem when someone buys gold with gems (IAP), then accidentally for whatever reason cancels the upgrade, and lose their real money. If you can do anything to help players avoid this frustration (while keeping it simple and without letting them exploit the system), then please do so.
    Clan Leader of The Bullies clan. "We need your gold more than you do."

Join the Clash of Clans community blog at COCBLOG.COM.

Fresh Spawn

Wall Update

Quote Originally Posted by mediapluck View Post
    Anybody could do this, so I don't think it was a "high level" problem.

Anyway, I posted this in another thread, which I'm sure you'll see, but please allow us to cancel our upgrades without a penalty if we've not logged out. This will prevent the whoops factor, which I'm sure you'll hear a lot about soon.

I just lost 700K elixir because I didn't know I needed a builder to upgrade my walls. I started an upgrade on my barracks, then immediately tried to upgrade my wall. Found I needed a builder, so I cancelled my barracks upgrade which I had just started, upgraded my walls, then went to resume my barracks upgrade, and found that I couldn't because I no longer had enough.

A fundamental flaw of popup dialogs is that people don't read them. I had read the "Are you sure" part, then glazed over the rest (especially since I had read it before). Anyway, this is likely to become a real problem when someone buys gold with gems (IAP), then accidentally for whatever reason cancels the upgrade, and lose their real money. If you can do anything to help players avoid this frustration (while keeping it simple and without letting them exploit the system), then please do so.
    I notice with new update walls requires a builder, nice touch, if was done from the beginning, now the higher lvl players ♥♥♥♥ us for our gold easier, as your trophy scoring really needs adjustment. The last 2 updates favor high lvl players and as does the scoring the system you use.
    My play is for my clan now as with the last update it has made it pointless to expand anymore, I feel I waisted my money and this will fall on deaf ears, If I ran my race events scoring the same as Clash of Clans I wouldn't be in business

Thank you

New Guy
    nice explanation, i can see what supercell is trying to do.
    But did you guys consider that players might not loot until they have a builder free? So they won't lose any resources. Why would a player loot to leave it in storage for another player to loot? Seems like a waste of elixer and time. that is unless they're looting for trophies in which case the amount of resource doesn't matter too much.

(not hatin' or anything, just confused with supercell logic).

Fresh Spawn
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauta View Post
    You still cannot lose all your resources to an enemy attack, as the max loot the enemy can steal is a set percentage of your total resources. This change also makes it possible for you to loot more by attacking other players, which is always nice.
    What's the percentage?
    Quote Originally Posted by hoivan View Post
    nice explanation, i can see what supercell is trying to do.
    they want you to spend 4 quid on gems and get an extra builder and have him sat doing nothing. If you buy an extra builder you're no worse off for anything. (except money)

Last edited by Careh; September 19th, 2012 at 05:02 PM.

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Careh View Post
    What's the percentage?
    We don't give out exact numbers as these are things that we continously balance and tweak These numbers would be outdated when we next time push an update live.

I'll basically parrot what I've said in a few other places.

I can live with losing the "bank" feature because I've been able to raid a million or more in a couple hour session after dinner etc.

I honestly do like playing this game and I enjoy raiding a lot. Not being able to work on the walls while my builders are occupied really sucks, and in the end you're only hurting the lower level players anyways.

The higher-end wall purchases all take a decent amount of gold to save for anyways, once they cross the 100,000 threshold (it jumps from 75,000 to 200,00 between level 6 and 7) it's kind of silly to say that you need a builder to make them because they're so costly.

I'm a level 37 player right now. Most of my builds (excepting the "new" objects I get at town hall upgrades) are going to take 3 days plus.

So because I can't spend the money I would make raiding, because lets say I already have my builders tied up in 3 days, I would only start raiding just before I have a builder becoming available. Maybe they're staggered because of when their builds started. Maybe, like right now, I'm dealing with a builder being gone for 8 days because of a town hall upgrade.

At any rate lets say I've prepared to raid in the evening because I know I've got a builder free soon.
    1. I don't build my army until I'm going to be able to use it, otherwise it will just get destroyed during normal attacks. This just adds more wasted time because I already had to wait 3+days to raid. I usually raid for resources, the trophies dont interest me anymore since I've gotten the 450 gems from the 1250 trophy achievement as I have no chance to get into the upper tiers now (with previous bugs, farming etc that were exploited)
    2. Lets say I have a good night and I'm able to steal 1,000,000 in resources (which I was able to before the update, I haven't tried since as there is no point) - that only buys me 5 wall upgrades. And really probably only 4 because I don't want to lose the time that the builder could be spending on something while I'm sleeping so I'll hold a little back and start working on something else..

So the root of the problem is:
    1. I can no longer play the game until a builder is free. It's just a matter of waiting, sometimes days.
    2. This would be more acceptable if the price of the walls wasn't so ridiculous and I could do bulk amounts at once - or pay some silly fee to "level" my walls like I do for troops in the alchemist's lab.
    3. The players who started earlier, who could already take advantage of farming, who already stand more of a chance to win gems in the tournament, who already have their walls maxed out, and the max # of builders because they got them in tournament have that much more of an advantage over newer players.

I hate to say this, but I'll give this game one more update to see how the wall situation changes and then I'm out (again, it means little in the amount of rage filled repsonses coming out, but another paying player lost).

My wife had enough already and just outright quit this morning.
    Summary of every global chat: "Join my clan"
    Josh - SonsOfClanarchy

Fresh Spawn

Huge disadvantage to new players

This is pure greed. I've built my clan slowly spending where I need to - this update is targeting new players to spend more to catch up other players who already a huge advantage. Poor show. Poor planning. Poor excuses. And ultimately poor commercial decision. Let's see how many players you lose how quickly - targeting one 60 quid player over 100 6 quid players s very foolish. Good luck.

The disadvantage is for all the players who spent money on the gems!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaosx View Post
    I'll basically parrot what I've said in a few other places.

I can live with losing the "bank" feature because I've been able to raid a million or more in a couple hour session after dinner etc.

I honestly do like playing this game and I enjoy raiding a lot. Not being able to work on the walls while my builders are occupied really sucks, and in the end you're only hurting the lower level players anyways.

The higher-end wall purchases all take a decent amount of gold to save for anyways, once they cross the 100,000 threshold (it jumps from 75,000 to 200,00 between level 6 and 7) it's kind of silly to say that you need a builder to make them because they're so costly.

I'm a level 37 player right now. Most of my builds (excepting the "new" objects I get at town hall upgrades) are going to take 3 days plus.

So because I can't spend the money I would make raiding, because lets say I already have my builders tied up in 3 days, I would only start raiding just before I have a builder becoming available. Maybe they're staggered because of when their builds started. Maybe, like right now, I'm dealing with a builder being gone for 8 days because of a town hall upgrade.

At any rate lets say I've prepared to raid in the evening because I know I've got a builder free soon.
    1. I don't build my army until I'm going to be able to use it, otherwise it will just get destroyed during normal attacks. This just adds more wasted time because I already had to wait 3+days to raid. I usually raid for resources, the trophies dont interest me anymore since I've gotten the 450 gems from the 1250 trophy achievement as I have no chance to get into the upper tiers now (with previous bugs, farming etc that were exploited)
    2. Lets say I have a good night and I'm able to steal 1,000,000 in resources (which I was able to before the update, I haven't tried since as there is no point) - that only buys me 5 wall upgrades. And really probably only 4 because I don't want to lose the time that the builder could be spending on something while I'm sleeping so I'll hold a little back and start working on something else..

So the root of the problem is:
    1. I can no longer play the game until a builder is free. It's just a matter of waiting, sometimes days.
    2. This would be more acceptable if the price of the walls wasn't so ridiculous and I could do bulk amounts at once - or pay some silly fee to "level" my walls like I do for troops in the alchemist's lab.
    3. The players who started earlier, who could already take advantage of farming, who already stand more of a chance to win gems in the tournament, who already have their walls maxed out, and the max # of builders because they got them in tournament have that much more of an advantage over newer players.

I hate to say this, but I'll give this game one more update to see how the wall situation changes and then I'm out (again, it means little in the amount of rage filled repsonses coming out, but another paying player lost).

My wife had enough already and just outright quit this morning.
    This pretty much sums it up. Not a rant, but actual thought out criticism.