Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: What is this?

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #11
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyboo1 View Post
    I understand that, I just don’t know why it happens on this forum constantly when I’m on a lot of forums and none of them ever had this problem to this degree, and I even used to run my own board and never had anything like this
    Did your board have 1.6 million registered users and thousands of visitors daily?

I've never been on a popular forum or web site that allows posting that doesn't get hit by spammers. If your board were popular, it'd have been hit, too (Bot traffic patterns change depending on the popularity of a given web site; Twitter suspended more than 70 million bot accounts; Facebook suspends 1.3 billion bot accounts; Instagram may have 95 million bot accounts). Spammers are pretty scrupulous and many of them are not bots, but actual people creating phony IDs and copy-and-pasting spam messages (Inside a click farm; Spammers outsource CAPTCHA clicks; Inside India's CAPTCHA farms). TBH, I never really understood this feeling that even though all the major companies of the world haven't been able to end email spam (Nearly 50% of all email traffic is spam - 14.5 billion emails a day), all the major companies in the world (Sony; Google; Microsoft; Amazon; Equifax) including governments (US Government; Iranian nuclear site; Cambodia elections; Thousands of government sites) have been successfully attacked by hackers, somehow vbulletin should have a perfect record to prevent you from temporarily seeing a love spam message. If you think spam has an easy cure, you haven't been paying attention.

Here, in addition to human moderation, automatic spam detection, IP bans and requiring a registered and confirmed email address before posting, we have a very powerful weapon: the report tool. All you have to do is click on the triangle with the exclamation point that's below every post to report a spam message. You need to do this.
    Last edited by SharkyFinn; August 9th, 2018 at 02:11 PM.
    SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site

SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site -+- SharkBite YouTube Channel
    USAR (#2GR9YCGR) - Level 17 - 622 Clan War wins
    Private Message - + - Forum Rules - + - Fan Content Policy

Pro Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SharkyFinn View Post
    Did your board have 1.6 million registered users and thousands of visitors daily?
    The number of registered users doesn't mean a thing. I do own a big board with thousands of visitors daily and have 0 spam. It's quite easy to stop it as long as you know what you're doing.

Example, ask when signing up: what's the name of the barbarian hero. Any player can answer that question and no bot can.

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickV View Post
    The number of registered users doesn't mean a thing. I do own a big board with thousands of visitors daily and have 0 spam. It's quite easy to stop it as long as you know what you're doing.

Example, ask when signing up: what's the name of the barbarian hero. Any player can answer that question and no bot can.
    lol. We sure could use someone like you knows what they're doing. I guess I never realized that bots can be programmed to bypass CAPTCHAs and click detectors, but a single question is enough to stop them. That's a new one on me. And apparently, we should just ignore the live spammers, too. BTW, you should probably let us all know the answer to your question, because I'm stumped. I expect the Hay Day players would be pretty stumped, too. Is his name "Harry?"
    Last edited by SharkyFinn; August 9th, 2018 at 09:56 PM.
    SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site

SharkyFinn.com Official Web Site -+- SharkBite YouTube Channel
    USAR (#2GR9YCGR) - Level 17 - 622 Clan War wins
    Private Message - + - Forum Rules - + - Fan Content Policy

4.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #14

There might be a player somewhere who can answer it, but I doubt that. I never knew he had a name, and neither will the vast majority of players.

But that doesn't matter. ANY single question with a fixed answer will be answerable within minutes of being set up by far more spam bots than real people.

I'm sorry, but your answers just tell us you really don't have a clue about spam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grill View Post
    But when something like an update is to be expected all stupid breaks loose and it just becomes an idiot storm of catastrophic proportion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Maverick View Post
    Any more balance to th10 will make th10 broken...
    My stats (main account)

Forum Champion
    Then we can have a more of a general question? Maybe a simple maths Question of addition or Multiplication. Will keep spam at bay?
    Last edited by SamirMishra; August 9th, 2018 at 10:25 PM.
    CoC -> TH 9/BK 15/AQ 22/1282 Stars/ TH 9/BK 11/AQ 11/1282 Stars
    Brawl stars -> XP 150 / 19/21 Brawlers / PB 8.2K / 3.1k Victories / 1245[Solo]211[Duo]Victories/RR 13m:14s!/BF 3m:25s/

On the USS Defiant charting the Delta Quadrant and studying Species P900B00181
    ...Here, in addition to human moderation, automatic spam detection, IP bans and requiring a registered and confirmed email address before posting, we have a very powerful weapon: the report tool. All you have to do is click on the triangle with the exclamation point that's below every post to report a spam message. You need to do this.
    Indeed, the thread below tells us how to report spam for those who missed it after joining the forums. When I reported spam, I checked back later and the spam threads were deleted in 24 hours or less. I find the response time more than adequate from a group of volunteer moderators.

https://forum.supercell.com/showthre...-Difference%21

...Example, ask when signing up: what's the name of the barbarian hero. Any player can answer that question and no bot can.
    lol. We sure could use someone like you knows what they're doing. I guess I never realized that bots can be programmed to bypass CAPTCHAs and click detectors, but a single question is enough to stop them. That's a new one on me. And apparently, we should just ignore the live spammers, too. BTW, you should probably let us all know the answer to your question, because I'm stumped. I expect the Hay Day players would be pretty stumped, too. Is his name "Harry?"
    LOL! I think we should also ask new users for the name of the female visitor which asks for dynamite sticks and TNT from Hay Day players.
    Last edited by LynnK2015; August 9th, 2018 at 10:41 PM.
    Lynn, 10-27-18, Clasher and Farmer but not Boomer or Brawler
    Suggested Acronyms for reports to the forum moderators aka The Mod Squad.
    PRFS. TYVM: Please Review For Spam. Thank You Very Much.
    PRFPFRV: Please Review For Possible Forum Rules Violation.
    PRFPT: Please Review For Possible Trollbait.

Pro Member
    The in game name of the hero is "Barbarian King", but as this discussion is going a way I don't like I won't provide any more free help.
    Last edited by PatrickV; August 10th, 2018 at 12:04 PM.

Just call them. Theyíre experts.
    Jairus Lyles

if i quit this season i still be the greatest

On the USS Defiant charting the Delta Quadrant and studying Species P900B00181
    The in game name of the hero is "Barbarian King", but as this discussion is going a way I don't like I won't provide any more free help.
    Wise choice.
    Lynn, 10-27-18, Clasher and Farmer but not Boomer or Brawler
    Suggested Acronyms for reports to the forum moderators aka The Mod Squad.
    PRFS. TYVM: Please Review For Spam. Thank You Very Much.
    PRFPFRV: Please Review For Possible Forum Rules Violation.
    PRFPT: Please Review For Possible Trollbait.

Community Royale has 3,346 registered accounts as of today, minus banned accounts. I'd say a good 500-750 at least are spammers. I usually have to delete two spam threads per day. There are also some bot spammers that won't post but will do the equivalent of posting in their bio or VM themselves on this forum their spam messages. I'd say 60-70% of spam bots I ban are the ones where I look at their profile and see that they are bots. But then again, I don't think we have any sort of captcha or filtering system in place, nor a "moderator approval" feature on CommunityRoyale (yet)

As was said above, bots will find a way to get around any measure. The fact that there are bots in Clash of Clans that can somehow evade the octopus shows that there's just no way to 100% stop the bots without making it a huge pain for real people to register (and even then bots will outsmart the devices).

Bots are trying to take over the world. Us as humans just have to keep them at bay. It's annoying, but an unfortunate circumstance

RIP Clash Royale Forums Jan 4, 2016-Nov 30, 2017. Member of the "Old Guard" of the CR Forums. Moderator of Community Royale. Join it here
    Thx to evertonjeff for the sig pic, whose sig shop is closed.Huge Star Wars fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCal
    Don't tell my real life crush I'd marry a pixelated girl with a weapon. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Siddmaster
    don't tell the Musketeer that you'd date your RL crush over her. She has a gun after all