Thread: Arranging your farm

Trainee

Arranging your farm

I visit other farms whilst waiting for Tom, or new derby tasks, and Im so impressed with the way farmers have designed their farms. Im not an overly tidy person in r/l but my farm has to be just so. Id love to be able to have clusters of bits and pieces and for my farm to look untidy (but really making sense, if you get my drift!).
    How did you decide what your farm would look like? I could do with some tips, Im a level 149 so youd think Id have got the hang of it by now, and oddly enough I do have quite a creative streak with regards to my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplescouser View Post
    Id love to be able to have clusters of bits and pieces and for my farm to look untidy (but really making sense, if you get my drift!).
    I get your drift! we call this "clutter"
    I first discovered "clutter" back in the Sims 2 days Sims were great, but after building their houses, and furnishing them, it always seemed like something was missing. That "lived in" feeling. I spent MONTHS hunting for sims 2 clutter! those were the days

I love clutter on my farm too.

I could talk about farm design all day. I've also seen some really nice ones, with features I'd like to duplicate, but I haven't been able to. So, since I am a talker, I'll try to be brief

First I decided where I wanted my trees. Then I decided where I wanted my main paths to run - down from the mine of course, down from helpers, across from the boat, then shorter paths inside those lol Until I had a fairly large, intentionally uneven grid. Then I chose a spot for animals and pets. Crops stayed at the front.

Then I went and put machines down, based actually on the color and style of "rock" underneath it. So now each box has at least one, and some have 3 machines. I also try to keep them somewhat grouped so that I don't miss one when making my rounds refilling, and I've hidden the flowershop and hatmaker behind some fake trees, because I think they are ugly lol

Then I literally go one square at a time. Which way do I want the contents to face, what other deco would look cute nearby, if I drop a piece of path here, will it work, or will it look too busy, etc, etc

This process of tweaking never really ends. "Clutter" to make something look "lived in" really needs to be added, as you're living in it.

After all of that, if I could change one thing about decorating, its the ability to move the farmhouse. Where it is now, it really cuts off my paths. To account for this, I built a yard.

Mine is fairly organized and structured. All my machines are on the side closest to the riverboat. All my crops and animals are on the other side. The area on the other side of the road just houses an orchard of trees. The paths and fences/walls help break it up but keep it altogether so everything is still easily accessed in one area.

I have wanted to really make it more random looking (like Greg's farm). But, my orchards of trees and bushes end up getting in the way because you HAVE to place them back. I just need to cut them down and not replant so I have the land space to do this, but I don't think of that until after I replant them LOL.

My wife went with the more random-look. Her crop fields are spread throughout her machines. I do like that look, but I also like the ease of having them all in one spot for when there are derby tasks that involve harvesting one crop-type.
    Level 105 Farm
    Event Data Nut
    All land expanded
    Barn: 4950 Silo: 4300
    9/12 Sanctuary Animals

Fresh Spawn
    I really like your farm vever!

Trainee
    Some good ideas here guys, thanks. Clutter is just what I’m looking for!!

When I first got my farm I was soo focused on leveling up I never even thought to move any of my items or decorate. So I left the orginal appliances where they were and just built out. So all of my stuff is located on the center road. Including the crops, machines, and animals.

I find it easier to play this way because since the farm does load straight to the truck order board, I don't have to go too far to find anything.

I spent about a week rearranging my farm in a pretty way with clutter but I ended up going back to my original design because when it usually took me 20 minutes to reload all my machines it took me double the time because I couldn't find anything! And don't get me started on how hard it was for me to plant my crops!

But that's just the way I play. Some people like their farm to be functional and some like it frilly.

Rhubi in Wonderland
    | Main Farm Level: 88 |134/144 | Rep Level: 18 | VM me
    The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors

The main thing I've done, beyond saving all the original trees I could, is that whenever I open an area, I immediately replace the stone lines with stone fencing, maintaining the original shapes, and then tucking my machines into the spaces... I love having my machines in among the trees...

Whatever you do, please don't put any animals near the smelters. Just not right.